ZMovement 3.2.1

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ivory Duke

Re: ZMovement 3.0 (Grappling Hook)

Post by Ivory Duke »

mamaluigisbagel wrote:got another crash, but this time it was after using the "personal teleporter" equipment item in regular D4T. Will say I don't know if this crash is related to ZMovement or not, though. It looks like a D4T crash, but figured I'd post in case.
That is a D4T issue, as you can see no lines of the error message refer to my ZMovePlayer.ZMV.
But fear not, the upcoming D4T version (2.5) has a fix for that, I know for certain cause DBT told me himself that issue has been addressed
mamaluigisbagel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

okay thats what I was thinking since I didn't see the ZMovePlayer bit. It might have something to do with a GZDoom fix addon as well. But I can always just not use the teleporter until the new update, which I believe it 2 days away currently. Thanks for the confirmation
Ivory Duke

Post by Ivory Duke »

I made the fix addon, I did not address the teleporter cause I had never run into it.
That addon has been merged with D4T for the upcoming release
AschTheConjurer

Post by AschTheConjurer »

I'm not sure how Wallsliding in ZMovement is supposed to work, or rather what it's supposed to do altogether.

It seems like whenever I use the WallSlide key (bound to 'F' in this case), it just makes me lose all horizontal momentum so that I fall directly downwards. I figured Wall sliding was supposed to be analogous to Wall running, but now I'm not actually sure what it's for if it's not for sliding along walls.

I tried running and jumping at a wall at an angle while holding 'F' to wallrun, which did nothing, and then did the same thing but pressed 'F' after I jumped and had come in contact with the wall, which just made me artificially lose all horizontal momentum but still fall at normal speed. Running at walls from any direction and pressing the keybind just gets the same result: All horizontal momentum stops and I just drop like a rock to the floor. Changing the value of "Gravity" in the WallSlide section of Zmove Options doesn't seem to affect this, either.

So I'm stumped -- what does Wall Sliding actually do and how do I make it work?
Is this because of something stupid like the fact I've been playing the PB3 Test Builds (which use Zmovement now) and ZDoom just refuses to accept values from "Normal" Zmovement even when the PB3 Preview isn't in the load order?
Ivory Duke

Post by Ivory Duke »

AschTheConjurer wrote:I'm not sure how Wallsliding in ZMovement is supposed to work, or rather what it's supposed to do altogether.

It seems like whenever I use the WallSlide key (bound to 'F' in this case), it just makes me lose all horizontal momentum so that I fall directly downwards. I figured Wall sliding was supposed to be analogous to Wall running, but now I'm not actually sure what it's for if it's not for sliding along walls.

I tried running and jumping at a wall at an angle while holding 'F' to wallrun, which did nothing, and then did the same thing but pressed 'F' after I jumped and had come in contact with the wall, which just made me artificially lose all horizontal momentum but still fall at normal speed. Running at walls from any direction and pressing the keybind just gets the same result: All horizontal momentum stops and I just drop like a rock to the floor. Changing the value of "Gravity" in the WallSlide section of Zmove Options doesn't seem to affect this, either.

So I'm stumped -- what does Wall Sliding actually do and how do I make it work?
Is this because of something stupid like the fact I've been playing the PB3 Test Builds (which use Zmovement now) and ZDoom just refuses to accept values from "Normal" Zmovement even when the PB3 Preview isn't in the load order?

(video timestamped at 6:24)
The wallsliding is similar to the one in UT4. Once engaged you do not wallrun, you keep sliding along the surface of the wall.
Make sure to watch the demonstration until the end to see what makes a wallslide fail.
Also impact with a wall at maximum ground speed or higher otherwise the wallslide will not engage.
AschTheConjurer

Post by AschTheConjurer »

I dunno what to tell you, man. This is what I spent a chunk of last night trying to figure out, and at least for me personally it refuses to work. I don't know what it is that could be preventing the Wall Slide from executing, but after seeing that video and seeing the intended behaviour, I know for a fact that I wasn't getting anything like the intended behaviour during my attempts last night.

Like I said, in any situation I tried it, Wallslide seems to just instantly kill momentum and cause a straight downwards fall.
Is it that I'm using GZDOOM 4.1.3 and ZMovement 3.0 requires a newer version of GZDOOM to work properly?

EDIT: Finished breakfast and had another attempt at testing Wall Sliding, this time in the first area of the Slaughterfest 2012 wad. I've managed to pull off the occasional Wall Slide, which I can tell because of the metal-skating sound. It's still incredibly unreliable, only works maybe 1/3 of the time even when moving at full speed and it seems that any input while wall sliding (i.e. moving the mouse, or pushing another cardinal direction when going along a rounded corner to keep the slide going) is the thing that was instantly killing all momentum last night -- literally doing nothing but holding W and [Keybind] is the only 100% reliable way of wallrunning I've found without falling from the wall.

Perhaps with a lot of practice I can possibly achieve wall-running while also being able to aim at something, since it seems like rubbing my bum against a wall can sometimes result in a wallrun (that is to say, holding S and A/D towards the wall while facing away from it), but attempting to dynamically aim at anything during the run results in falling off the wall.

EDIT 2: I had another practice in MAP01 of Doom 2 knowing how it's supposed to work now, and it seems like it's just impossible to wallrun on any walls in that map. Obviously I have next to no idea what I'm talking about, but the only visual difference I can see is that a lot of floors in MAP01 are not level: they often have stairs or otherwise change heights. Is it possible that moving over sectors of different heights while attempting one consecutive wall-run was causing an issue with fake 'collisions' with the differing heights, or something?
skdursh

Post by skdursh »

AschTheConjurer wrote:It's still incredibly unreliable, only works maybe 1/3 of the time even when moving at full speed and it seems that any input while wall sliding (i.e. moving the mouse, or pushing another cardinal direction when going along a rounded corner to keep the slide going) is the thing that was instantly killing all momentum last night -- literally doing nothing but holding W and [Keybind] is the only 100% reliable way of wallrunning I've found without falling from the wall.
I think that's because you're not supposed to press anything other than forward and the wallslide keybind right before touching the wall. Pressing left or right will kill the wallslide. If you watch his key presses during the video you will see that at no point during a wallslide does he press any directional key besides forward and only moves the mouse to follow the curves of the wall.
Ivory Duke

Post by Ivory Duke »

Ok here are three important pro tips:
- you need to press the wallslide keybind BEFORE you hit the wall;
- there needs to be an angle minor than 45 degrees (or something like that do not remember right now) between the direction you are moving and the wall surface at the moment of the impact;
- slide will end early if the direction you are pointing with your directional keys creates an angle higher than 30 with the wall surface. I just keep forward press in the demonstration because it is the easiest thing to do but any key combination will work if you respect the angle rule.

The first one is the least obvious and I just double checked, it is mentioned in the video.

Here is a quick demo I just recorded so you know I have taken your issue to heart and have double checked if everything is working correctly
mamaluigisbagel

first of all, thanks for the quick update for D4T 2.5 and GMOTA 3.0! I'm starting to get spoiled by this mod because it feels so weird to play without it.

The Spectre thing I mentioned before (Charging when morphed not working properly) is still present. Is this something you intend to fix, or is it currently possible? That said, it is kinda odd that demons can use the same movement, but I'm not really complaining about that. A player morphed into a Pain Elemental, then grappling to an enemy and exploding would be hilarious.
Ivory Duke

Post by Ivory Duke »

I have noticed the spectre thing myself, I am gonna address it for ZMovement 3.1 which will be the last release.
Demon movement will be nerfed as well, no dashing, grappling or anything else.

I have already denied ledge grabbing thanks to the fact when you are in demon form your health is much higher than regular player.

Code: Select all

if(zm_ledgegrab && Health < 250) { LedgeGrabInitiator(); }
Btw since we are at it this is the 3.1 changelog as of right now

Code: Select all

Changes:
- final round of code cleanup and optimization;
- increased Doom, Dusk, and Quake movements authenticity.
Fixes:
- fixed an auto jump related issue;
- fixed bobbing looking like trash during/right after a ground dash;
- fixed an issue where sometimes player morph could make the engine crash;
- fixed an issue where you could not double jump after a dash with UT movement (that's a bruh moment right there);
- fixed an issue where if you air dashed and then ledge grabbed upon landing on the ground movement would act weird.
mamaluigisbagel

alright, just wanted to check on that. Its not a game breaker, so I'm fine waiting.

I am curious about something. UT Bobbing is my favorite type of bobbing, but you changed it at some point so the option to choose in the options menu is not there, and if I understand right you have to do some manual coding to change it now. I'm not mad, but what was the reason behind that change?
Ivory Duke

Post by Ivory Duke »

mamaluigisbagel wrote:alright, just wanted to check on that. Its not a game breaker, so I'm fine waiting.

I am curious about something. UT Bobbing is my favorite type of bobbing, but you changed it at some point so the option to choose in the options menu is not there, and if I understand right you have to do some manual coding to change it now. I'm not mad, but what was the reason behind that change?
I suddenly felt ashamed about the quality of the coding of my custom bobbing and when I rewrote it I also decided to remove some customization to significantly cut the necessary lines of code
mamaluigisbagel

ah, I guess I can understand that. I'm willing to try to add the bobbing myself, but I'm a bit confused as to where/what you change. I saw the note in the OP, but I'm still a bit confused. I'm not sure where to change GZDoom's bobbing, if that's even the correct thing to do. Hope I don't bother you too much asking this and possibly more if I keep having issues.

EDIT: Maybe off topic, but I did manage to get a patch made for Doom 4 Vanilla, just need to figure out how to add bobbing. Man, that seems to be my big blocker lol

EDIT 2: Okay, got UT style bobbing working, however it's not the same as it used to be. The weapon/hand moves left and right a lot more than usual. Any idea why? I copy and pasted the code you had in the example, replacing what was there before in ZMovePlayer.ZMV
Ivory Duke

Post by Ivory Duke »

Just edit the two integer multipliers until you are happy with the look
Meaning the 1.5 and the 2
mamaluigisbagel

gotcha. One thing that's confused me is some mods I've made patches for, the player sprite disappears/becomes nothing, and I can't figure out why. I did notice it seems if the mod does have a custom player sprite, it still shows up though.

EDIT: I think I actually found the problem. If I'm correct, it's because I was trying to convert Decorate files into ZScript, instead of keeping them in decorate.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”