SpriteShadow v2.0 (now built into GZDoom 4.6.0!)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Moktar

Re: SpriteShadow (Duke3D Shadows) v1.9

Post by Moktar »

panzerfaustmna wrote:

Hi, ive got this error while playing brutal doom on gz 4.1.3 , its happens when iam using brutality on enemys
sry 4 bad english =)
Hi. I'm getting the same error, it occurs when performing fatalities on BD under GZDOOM 4.2. Also there is another error, it happens after loading E1M2 (immediately after the intermission from E1M1).

Also, sorry for the bad english too.
Nash

Post by Nash »

The latest Github commit has a fix for that already merged in; if you don't mind using dev versions of the mod, you can just download it from the Github.
40KN

Post by 40KN »

Hey @Nash, using the latest build seemingly stopped the frequent crashes, but this one eventually popped up upon picking up an item:

bLUEbYTE
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by bLUEbYTE »

I had an odd issue where the mod simply doesn't get loaded... GZDoom version 4.2.4. This started happening all of a sudden, I could see every other mod in my autoload list get mentioned in the console but not this one. I had double checked the file path in gzdoom.ini. Tried to load it via '-file ...', still no go, it would get silently ignored. Have you seen such oddity before?

So I went ahead and made a .wad version of it as at commit fe1eb1, with menu stuff removed. It loads fine now.

Providing the WAD here just in case someone hits a similar issue.

Thanks for a great mod, Nash.
Attachments
SpriteShadow.wad
as at https://github.com/nashmuhandes/SpriteShadow/commit/fe1eb128996c81d4b0b8765203596006f557896c
(9.97 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Nash

Post by Nash »

@bLUEbYTE: That's strange indeed. Seems to be working for me. I'm sorry but I haven't the slightest clue what's going on, or how to reproduce it...
StrikerMan780
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StrikerMan780 »

40KN wrote:Hey @Nash, using the latest build seemingly stopped the frequent crashes, but this one eventually popped up upon picking up an item:

My ZScript knowledge is limited, but perhaps a NULL check on this line before calling Object.Destroy could prevent this?
ZellSF
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ZellSF »

It's a bit jarring how Strife's roof crawlers and roof mounted turrets cast shadows. Is there any logical way to make exceptions for them so they don't have shadows?
Nash

Post by Nash »

ZellSF: thanks for the feedback, I'll have to see what I can do about that. Good point.
A_D_M_E_R_A_L
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by A_D_M_E_R_A_L »

Idk if this was already reported or if you'll come back to this, but here it is anyway:
The shadows don't detect sprites that have a SPRITEFLIP flag. (the sprite is flipped, but the shadow isn't)
Nash

Post by Nash »

While that is a valid report, I am working on bringing sprite shadows directly into GZDoom. What this means is that soon this mod will be obsolete and discontinued.

(the benefits of implementing sprite shadows directly into the engine is vastly superior performance).

Still, thanks for the report though because I will need to account for that even if it's going to be built into the engine.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

That is terrific news. I have been playing with this mod almost for as long as it exists, so having this as a menu option will make things even easier and convenient. Thanks a lot for this outstanding effort!
akidd

Post by akidd »

Any update on adding this to gzdoom natively? I sure like the effect.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Got it working for both the hardware and software renderers, just have to tie up some loose ends then send the PR to GZDoom. I expect it to be rejected because I probably did it wrongly. :^)
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Wow, that Mancubus side view surely isn't nice to look at. Even uglier than from the front. :)
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

What's with the shadow "height" being different between those two shots?

8-)

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”