Option to disable inverted colormap

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Option to disable inverted colormap

Post by Rachael »

https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/pull/972

Language entry name is DSPLYMNU_NOINVERTMAP

This pull request adds a new CVar called "cl_disableinvertedcolormap" which when activated changes the Invulnerability Sphere colormap from inverted grayscale to a tinted grayscale (deep blue to pale yellow). This is designed to make it easier on the eyes.

Many source ports have their own variation on this - GZDoom seems to be the only one that forces you (without mods) to endure this harsh on the eyes colormap. Also - even if you have a mod that changes the invulnerability sphere to something more eye-friendly, another mod can override it with an inverted grayscale colormap of its own, so this is meant to address that on a more fundamental level.

Pull requested because I am not sure if there is a better way to do this. I admit it's a hack.
kodi

Re: Option to disable inverted colormap

Post by kodi »

Rachael wrote:[...]You should post it in the thread what you'd prefer the colormap to be, it's obviously something that people have different opinions about, and worthy of an actual discussion[...]
I would suggest an amber tint. Warming filters are generally easy on the eyes, and I guess it fits the glow in the mugshot's eyes reasonably well.

Here's a mockup:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Given that GZDoom already supports other Invulnerability items, would it not make sense to simply allow a toggle between those effects?

Heretic:
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

@Enjay: That technically can be done - but the reason why I opted not to do that was because I wanted to make it unique. I wanted to make the appearance of the map clear that "oh, I got a Doom Invulnerability Sphere".

@kodi: I like that - but I would prefer the color to be desaturated a bit - as deep colors are also rough on the eyes.

Nevertheless, I am quite open to ideas about what the final color gradient should be for this.
Gez

Post by Gez »

kodi wrote:and I guess it fits the glow in the mugshot's eyes reasonably well.
You could go for the Heretic goldmap then.

(Beaten by Enjay, but I got a pic of how it looks in Doom.)
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

One thing the inverted colormap does well is that it makes it very obvious when your invulnerability is about to expire, even if other powerups with screen blend (tint) are active, like the radsuit, which I find very useful. Is it still the case with that tint you got there?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Yes - the screen will still flash when it's about to go, just not in inverse. I'd have to change other code beyond this simple little addition to change that, anyhow, which is beyond my desire or interest for this, so no worries there - that won't change.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Considering that Heretic's gold map can be used - and is being used by some mods for Doom, it's a poor alternative for the inverse map. Rachael's original color is certainly better. So, out of curiosity, which ports allow switching the inverse map off?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Crispy Doom is one, I honestly thought there were more.

I have heard from 3 different people that Crispy Doom had an option for an alternative colormap, but I have not found the option, myself, in its menus.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Alright - I think what I am going to do is make two color CVARs for the lower and upper end, rename this CVAR to make it clear that this is a custom colormap, instead of just simply disabling the inverse map. What the user assigns those two CVAR colors to, is up to them. What still can't be done is setting the "gamma" change (what Photoshop calls the 'midpoint' of the gradient), but that can't be done without adding another uniform and I am not sure I want to do that.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

And done. The menu entries with the language strings and CVar names are now as follows:

Code: Select all

Option "$DSPLYMNU_CUSTOMINVERTMAP",			"cl_customizeinvulmap", "OnOff"
	ColorPicker "$DSPLYMNU_CUSTOMINVERTC1",		"cl_custominvulmapcolor1"
	ColorPicker "$DSPLYMNU_CUSTOMINVERTC2",		"cl_custominvulmapcolor2"
As a note "white" is "80 80 80". Knowing this, it's possible to calculate out other possibilities for colormaps:

"80 80 80", "00 00 00" - Doom's default invulnerability sphere
"00 00 1a", "a6 a6 7a" - This PR's default
"00 00 00", "c0 60 00" - Heretic's "goldmap"
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Ok so far, but there's one thing to look out: The custom colormap should not be active during script parsing, or you get undefined results if mods use the literal representation of the inverse colormap in their scripts.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Hmmm - I am not quite sure what you mean, here. What exactly are you asking for?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

During parsing of ZScript or DECORATE the first colormap must be the inverse one, even if the option is on.
Otherwise the color matching may fail.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Will this work?

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”