DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.5] [MP-B7.3]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Machine-Reaper

Re: DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.2] [MP-B7.2]

Post by Machine-Reaper »

Nems wrote:Ah.

What are the console commands to spawn the Assault Laser Gun and Assault Nuclear Plasma Rifle then? That way I can pick them up, then sell them in the Zeta Shop with that addon to purchase them at another time in a future playthrough.
just put "rlassaultrifle" before their names and "pickup" at end with summon command in console and they will spawn

example: summon rlassaultriflenuclearplasmariflepickup
Spoiler:
FollowTheDamnTrain

Post by FollowTheDamnTrain »

I've a question about Dark Marty.

Is he supposed to be as excruciatingly annoying as he is since the update? I'm mostly playing on Adaptive, and often times, he would spawn very early on in the game, like on level 4 or 5, when I don't have adequate gear to deal with him. Fighting him without any high-tier weapons or at least bullet-proof armor is more difficult than fighting any other boss in the game. Evading him is pretty much the only way to win in those situations, albeit also pretty difficult because of his teleportation ability.
And if I get killed by him, it's not like he will leave me alone next round - he will spawn at about the same exact time in the level. What exactly triggers his spawn? Sometimes, it seems that gibbing enemies with berserk fists or killing a few enemies in a row causes his spawn, but at other times, it seems completely arbitrary.

But yeah. Dark Marty is now somewhere up there on my "list of most annoying enemies", along with the Hungry (geez, I hate these little fuckers...), Cacobysses, Deathweavers and Hellstorm Elementals. :mrgreen:
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

FollowTheDamnTrain wrote:I've a question about Dark Marty.

Is he supposed to be as excruciatingly annoying as he is since the update? I'm mostly playing on Adaptive, and often times, he would spawn very early on in the game, like on level 4 or 5, when I don't have adequate gear to deal with him. Fighting him without any high-tier weapons or at least bullet-proof armor is more difficult than fighting any other boss in the game. Evading him is pretty much the only way to win in those situations, albeit also pretty difficult because of his teleportation ability.
And if I get killed by him, it's not like he will leave me alone next round - he will spawn at about the same exact time in the level. What exactly triggers his spawn? Sometimes, it seems that gibbing enemies with berserk fists or killing a few enemies in a row causes his spawn, but at other times, it seems completely arbitrary.

But yeah. Dark Marty is now somewhere up there on my "list of most annoying enemies", along with the Hungry (geez, I hate these little fuckers...), Cacobysses, Deathweavers and Hellstorm Elementals. :mrgreen:
Just KEEP side strafing while fighting him (like your in a deathmatch, keep moving around here and there) he will miss you 100% every time he will shoot and you keep firing back with whatever weapon you have (Rockie Launcha is best) and kill him as quickly as possible.

don't consider him hard cause you haven't played DRLA Monster Pack with Legendoom Lite addon yet.

and you forgot to add Watchers to the list "list of most annoying enemies"

Also I take back the bug about Lava Armour not working anymore, it works but very very randomly but still, it works
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

I don't consider most of the DRLM enemies too annoying except as legendaries, but some of those are so bad that I actually turned the damage multiplier off for being really stupid, hitscanners being the most prominent example. Watchers HURT but their shots are fairly easy to dodge when you learn it, and much much easier for Demolitionist too. Dark Marty? Neutered by bulletproof armor or even just one or two point-blank BFG shots, but he shouldn't show up too early unless you have the "Curse of RNGseus" option turned on, in that case if you get any master assembly or item that is indicated by a message on map start, he'll come to rumble next map. With Adaptive it'll also max the DL to "armageddon only".
FollowTheDamnTrain

Machine-Reaper wrote: Just KEEP side strafing while fighting him (like your in a deathmatch, keep moving around here and there) he will miss you 100% every time he will shoot and you keep firing back with whatever weapon you have (Rockie Launcha is best) and kill him as quickly as possible.

don't consider him hard cause you haven't played DRLA Monster Pack with Legendoom Lite addon yet.

and you forgot to add Watchers to the list "list of most annoying enemies"

Also I take back the bug about Lava Armour not working anymore, it works but very very randomly but still, it works
That tip works when you're in bigger, more open areas, yeah.

I have actually played DRLA + the normal LegenDoom. Some of the enemies, like a legendary Cacobyss, are a bitch to deal with, and bosses take some patience and a ton of ammo (well, unless you got some master class assembled weapons).

Speaking of Cacobysses, I think they might be a tad OP. They are completely immune to plasma, they got a really powerful, rapid lunge melee attack, their orbs fire when they're stunlocked, they deal damage when they die, they pull you towards them when they reappear, and their newly added plasma beam attack is like a massive icing on a cake that is already massive. I think it's really really cool to have versatile foes like this, but in comparison to them, others seem weak. I think making them at least 10% susceptible to plasma attacks would be fair.
Like for example the fire mancubi variants. They're not completely immune to fire.

I agree with fakemai though, I find watchers pretty easy. I'm not sure, but it seems they're less likely to fire when you're not directly looking at them...?
fakemai wrote:Dark Marty? Neutered by bulletproof armor or even just one or two point-blank BFG shots, but he shouldn't show up too early unless you have the "Curse of RNGseus" option turned on, in that case if you get any master assembly or item that is indicated by a message on map start, he'll come to rumble next map. With Adaptive it'll also max the DL to "armageddon only".
Well, of course, with high end gear, he becomes a slight inconvenience rather than an actual threat. Give me my plasma refractor and Dark Marty ain't so dark anymore.

Unless I missed something, my curse of RNGsus is set to normal, not "dangery". Last time he spawned on me, I didn't have *any* legendary/epic/unique/master assembly weapons or items. It was on level 5 when I picked up berserk and gibbed some imps in the dark basement section.
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

powerful single shot weapons turn the cacobyss to a piece of cake, so i don't think they need a nerf. You have multiple weapons for a reason.

However, there's a glitch where there's a cacobyss orb just stuck in the air for no apparent reason and it produces a horrible, ear piercing noise constantly
FollowTheDamnTrain

Tartlman wrote:powerful single shot weapons turn the cacobyss to a piece of cake, so i don't think they need a nerf. You have multiple weapons for a reason.

However, there's a glitch where there's a cacobyss orb just stuck in the air for no apparent reason and it produces a horrible, ear piercing noise constantly
It's just that the other Cacodemon variants totally pale in comparison.

And yeah, if you have one. The Mother-In-Law is probably the weapon of choice against it, but I also find the Super Machine gun pretty effective. Like I said though, with high-end weaponry (master assembly weapons are stronger than most Unique weapons I think), most of the enemies become a minor nuisance. Except for the Hungry. These guys are something else. When you hear that stretched hissing noise in the distance, ugh... :lol:

What's everyone's favorite weapon combo here?
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

FollowTheDamnTrain wrote:@Yholl, it seems that the Reactive Shield System still doesn't protect against Radiant damage, is it supposed to be this way?
Yeah, it only protects against the main four types. Stuff like the Prototype Assault Shield not protecting against it though is an error on my part.
FollowTheDamnTrain wrote:Speaking of Cacobysses, I think they might be a tad OP. They are completely immune to plasma, they got a really powerful, rapid lunge melee attack, their orbs fire when they're stunlocked, they deal damage when they die, they pull you towards them when they reappear, and their newly added plasma beam attack is like a massive icing on a cake that is already massive. I think it's really really cool to have versatile foes like this, but in comparison to them, others seem weak. I think making them at least 10% susceptible to plasma attacks would be fair.
Technically their plasma immunity is a temporary thing. When more damagetypes get added in a new update, they will no longer be immune to plasma, but immune to lightning, making them far less of a challenge to deal with. For now though, yeah they're jerks.
FollowTheDamnTrain wrote:I agree with fakemai though, I find watchers pretty easy. I'm not sure, but it seems they're less likely to fire when you're not directly looking at them...?
That's their main gimmick, they fire if you stare directly at them. If you look away and just move around them, they can't do anything but follow you and try and melee you.
FollowTheDamnTrain wrote:Unless I missed something, my curse of RNGsus is set to normal, not "dangery". Last time he spawned on me, I didn't have *any* legendary/epic/unique/master assembly weapons or items. It was on level 5 when I picked up berserk and gibbed some imps in the dark basement section.
Curse of RNGsus simply sets danger level to maximum on picking up a rare item, rather than increasing it by one. One of the effects of danger level is increasing the chance that a unique boss will spawn at the start of a level.
FollowTheDamnTrain

Yholl wrote:Yeah, it only protects against the main four types. Stuff like the Prototype Assault Shield not protecting against it though is an error on my part.
Ah, I see.

So far, I found that only the Tower Shield and the Nano Ablative Armor (arguably the best armor in the entire game, plz don't nerf... - btw, is there a reason why it has weaker stats with the Renegade?) offer 100% protection against it, am I correct?
Yholl wrote:Technically their plasma immunity is a temporary thing. When more damagetypes get added in a new update, they will no longer be immune to plasma, but immune to lightning, making them far less of a challenge to deal with. For now though, yeah they're jerks.
Really looking forward to that, you've done incredible work with this!
Yholl wrote:That's their main gimmick, they fire if you stare directly at them. If you look away and just move around them, they can't do anything but follow you and try and melee you.
Well, knowing this for a fact now makes them a whole lot easier to deal with. :mrgreen:
Yholl wrote:Curse of RNGsus simply sets danger level to maximum on picking up a rare item, rather than increasing it by one. One of the effects of danger level is increasing the chance that a unique boss will spawn at the start of a level.
Ahhh I see... all the time I was under the impression that it would increase the likelihood of Armageddon enemies spawning, guess I wasn't THAT wrong...
Funky Gnoll

Post by Funky Gnoll »

Yholl wrote:When more damagetypes get added in a new update,
*heavy breathing*
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

Yholl wrote:Curse of RNGsus simply sets danger level to maximum on picking up a rare item, rather than increasing it by one. One of the effects of danger level is increasing the chance that a unique boss will spawn at the start of a level.
okay, what if we throw all our unique weapons and armour etc away?

and walk around naked except for pinty weapons etc, would that reset the Danger Level back to 1 or something?
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

FollowTheDamnTrain wrote:btw, is there a reason why it has weaker stats with the Renegade?
Consistent game mechanics. Renegade increases Protection, Protection increases the damage an armor takes instead of you. With the Nano Ablative, any damage it doesn't absorb simply gets annihilated entirely. As such, Renegade simply causes it to absorb more damage and negate less.
Machine-Reaper wrote:okay, what if we throw all our unique weapons and armour etc away?

and walk around naked except for pinty weapons etc, would that reset the Danger Level back to 1 or something?
the sands of time fall ever downwards, there is no turning back on your journey
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

I never found any of the enemies in DRLA to be unfair. If anything, they're the right amount of "tough but fair". I've been playing through a slew of megawads with DRLA + Monsters +LDL on Adaptive and I feel like the balance is actually pretty tight. Some times do things get a bit lop sided to where you have to run but that's more a case of RNGesus giving me a Nightmare/Technophobia/Armageddon monster sooner than expected plus turning a lower-tier monster Legendary and making things harder (though the payoff for sticking to an early Legendary fight and winning it is the loot so you can actually end up better off endgame).

Also don't be a ding dong like I was during some playthroughs and give Legendaries up to 400 - 500% more health when they turn if you're using LDL with DRLA. :P

As far as specific monsters go:

-Watchers are at their worst when 1) they're with groups of other monsters and/or 2) they go Legendary if you're using LDL. They become high priority for me as soon as I see them and I pepper them with rapid fire. I think they also self-resurrect (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this but I've had instances where I've cleared a map of monsters and came across a Watcher on my way to the exit), which can make facing them again later a pain but at least they can't go legendary again after.

-Since you can only kill the Cacoabyss by killing its orb first, I use weapons that do splash damage or AOE damage on it so it damages both the Cacoabyss and its orb. Tactical Rocket Launcher (because sometimes five rockets isn't overkill), Napalm Launcher, or (if you're really lucky) a Firestorm-modded Anti-Freak Jackal are my go-to weapon examples for dealing with a Cacoabyss.

-As fakemai and Machine-Reaper stated, strafe like you're playing Quake 3 Arena regardless of how big the room is and hit Dark Marty with the best weapon(s) in your arsenal. :P Even in smaller, more cramped levels like what's in SIGIL strafing and moving will keep DM from hitting you (this is how I survived most of my DM encounters in SIGIL). Bulletproof armor helps too if you have some.

Also:
Funky Gnoll wrote:
Yholl wrote:When more damagetypes get added in a new update,
*heavy breathing*
I second this excitement. :D
FollowTheDamnTrain

I think I've officially mastered Yholl's DRL universe. :mrgreen:
I've finished my first playthrough on DRLA/DRLM + LegenDoom Lite + Armageddon difficulty. It was hard, but thanks to some helpful RNG along the way, I played through the entirety of Doom 2 in about 2 hours. Also, to my surprise, Dark Marty only bothered me 3 times. Less than on Adaptive.
Here's what I think is the best strat/class setup/whatevs:
Spoiler:
Yholl wrote:Consistent game mechanics. Renegade increases Protection, Protection increases the damage an armor takes instead of you. With the Nano Ablative, any damage it doesn't absorb simply gets annihilated entirely. As such, Renegade simply causes it to absorb more damage and negate less.
Now I understand the mechanics behind armors a little better, thank you for the explanation.
Nems wrote:I think they also self-resurrect (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this but I've had instances where I've cleared a map of monsters and came across a Watcher on my way to the exit)
I've observed the same exact thing, this is definitely true. I've actually seen them appear/disappear right infront of me. Killing them is never permanent.
Tactical Rocket Launcher (because sometimes five rockets isn't overkill), Napalm Launcher, or (if you're really lucky) a Firestorm-modded Anti-Freak Jackal are my go-to weapon examples for dealing with a Cacoabyss.
The Cluster Bomb Launcher is a very good choice, too.
Funky Gnoll

Post by Funky Gnoll »

Bullet weapons and shotguns work pretty well against the Cacobyss if you're having trouble with him. If the ball keeps moving behind him, you can get away with killing him if you also destroy the ball afterwards--if you're quick, he won't get a chance to revive.

And yes, the Watcher revives himself. Note that he only attacks when he's in melee range or when you're looking directly at him, so if you do look at him, do so with your finger on the trigger.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”