Viewmodel bug

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
olzhas1one

Viewmodel bug

Post by olzhas1one »

It seems that LZDoom can't render viewmodels correctly. We're making a game on the GZDoom engine and it is entirely comprised of 3d models. Everything seems to work fine on LZDoom, up until a viewmodel is loaded. Then, level geometry starts to disappear, sky is flashing and parts of 3d models don't load. Everything turns back to normal once a viewmodel is gone, though. Is this a bug with the engine or the game?

At the moment I can only post a screenshot, I'll try to post a video later.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 191654.png
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: Viewmodel bug

Post by drfrag »

A viewmodel is a HUD weapon model right? Which LZDoom version? Which renderer? Does it work properly in GZDoom? I can't debug a video.
olzhas1one

Post by olzhas1one »

drfrag wrote:A viewmodel is a HUD weapon model right? Which LZDoom version? Which renderer? Does it work properly in GZDoom? I can't debug a video.
Edited: Yes, viewmodels are HUD weapon models, in a way
The renderer is OpenGL-accelerated, and no options seem to fix it. Yes, everything works correctly in GZDoom.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Are you using MD3 models? Could you post a runnable sample? Did they work in GZDoom 3.3.2?
Last edited by drfrag on Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
olzhas1one

Post by olzhas1one »

drfrag wrote:Are you using MD3 models? Could you post a running sample? Did they work in GZDoom 3.3.2?
Models are MD3, but we haven't tested them in GZDoom 3.3.2. They did run in GZDoom 3.7.2 though. Note that only viewmodels are causing issues (if i didnt make that clear)
And what do you mean by "running sample"?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

What about the vintage buid? I meant a runnable sample for testing. Or do you know any other mod using MD3 for weapons?
olzhas1one

Post by olzhas1one »

drfrag wrote:What about the vintage buid? I meant a runnable sample for testing. Or do you know any other mod using MD3 for weapons?
You can try those old Doom 3d model packs, Psychofobia uses some 3d models and that Half-Life 1 TC Paranoid also used 3d models.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Now that i think of it Doom Tournament uses models and they work.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

But Doom Tournament & Doomreal don't use MD3 afaik, it's the Unreal Engine 1 vertex model format itself.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

But did it run in GZDoom 3.3.2? I need a small test sample or a private link to the mod but if it's huge i can't download it and most likely i won't be able to fix it but i could have a look. BTW any mods out there really using MD3?
olzhas1one

Post by olzhas1one »

Update: So I tried playing Doom Tournament and the same issue came up, with the geometry glitches and stuff

As I said before, it seems that specifically viewmodels cause this, 3D models seemingly work fine. Apart from glitching the geometry, it also doesn't render certain parts of the models.

That video was recorded using 3.83a 32-bit, and I noticed this issue in 3.82, in case you're wondering.

Not sure if this is an issue on my end, though
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

It's been a long time since i tested the 32 bit build last time but i've just checked and it works. So it's a problem with your graphics card, BTW which card is it?
olzhas1one

Post by olzhas1one »

drfrag wrote:It's been a long time since i tested the 32 bit build last time but i've just checked and it works. So it's a problem with your graphics card, BTW which card is it?
GTX 1070 which might be incompatible with this OpenGL? Not sure. Anyway, can you PM me your Discord tag if you have one? I'd like to talk
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Of course not, may be it's the driver version. Which settings are you using (specially resolution)? Have you tried the 64 bit build? I don't use discord.
Edit: and which OS?
olzhas1one

Post by olzhas1one »

drfrag wrote:Of course not, may be it's the driver version. Which settings are you using (specially resolution)? Have you tried the 64 bit build? I don't use discord.
Edit: and which OS?
No, haven't used the 64 bit build yet. I use the 1920x1080 resolution, Windows 10 OS.

It doesn't seem that the issue is in the settings, since nothing appears to help in this regard so it's most likely a driver incompatability issue

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”