Instant Crash with GZDOOM

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.

Instant Crash with GZDOOM

Post by Guest »

Hey,

GZDOOM was working great, I had a version I downloaded over the summer (don't remember which) and it could run any mod I wanted and work with the IWADS. Today, after trying a new version of Project Brutality, it said I needed a newer version of GZDOOM, so I updated, aaand... nothing works anymore. I can't even run vanilla doom. The error just says:

Execution could not continue.

DirectInputCreate failed: 80004005

Internet has a few cases of people asking, but no fixes.

Thanks in advance.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Instant Crash with GZDOOM

Post by Rachael »

My first guess is, you're running Windows XP. GZDoom does not support that anymore, only LZDoom does.

Secondly, if I am wrong, you certainly didn't post your system specs, which is an absolute requirement for diagnosing your problem - we're not mind readers, and we have no way of knowing what's wrong without this important information.

Post by Guest »

Hey, appreciate the quick reply.

I can confirm I'm not on Windows XP, so that's not the issue. Sorry, I'm new to this and don't really know what system specs you would need, please let me know.

I appreciate your patience.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Most importantly, your GPU, your CPU, how much RAM you have, your operating system, its version, and its architecture (ie 32/64-bit).

In your particular situation, when you last ran your OS updates would be relevant, as well as whether or not you have special hardware (ie for keyboard) that would require special drivers to function properly, or even to enable any additional functionality at all.

If you use Windows and you don't want to dig this information out, here's a shortcut: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=56882
Just post that info, it'll cover all of the above bases.
GarretS12

Post by GarretS12 »

Thanks for your help!!

GZDOOM version 4.2.4
DxDiag for GZDOOM.txt
(77 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
I also made an msinfo file but it was too big. Computer idiot that I am, I don't know if there's any important info in there that isn't in the other document, if there is just let me know and I can grab it for you.

Thanks again for your patience!!
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Try unplugging all input devices that are not your mouse and keyboard. This includes your Vive, any headsets or microphones, any gamepads you may have, and start GZDoom again.

If this works, then exit GZDoom, and plug each component back in one by one, starting up GZDoom each time until you get the error again.

If you do find which component causes the error, let us know - there may be a bug within GZDoom here.

Post by Guest »

Hey,

So, unfortunately, that did not work. I unplugged it all, but I still just get that error.

Any other ideas?

Once again thanks for your help.

Post by Guest »

Also, I grabbed the old GZDOOM (4.1.2) out of the recycling bin, and it works, so it is definitely an issue I only have with the new version.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Try with older versions, like 4.2.0 from the archive or devbuilds.

Post by Guest »

I tried several older versions, and I got the following errors:

With 4.2.1 and older I got the same error as before, but with older ones like 4.2.0 I got this.

gzdoom.pk3:zscript/base.zs, line 621: The member variable 'TraceResults.ffloor' has not been exported from the executable.
gzdoom.pk3:zscript/mapdata.zs, line 250: The member variable 'F3DFloor.bottom' has not been exported from the executable.
gzdoom.pk3:zscript/mapdata.zs, line 251: The member variable 'F3DFloor.top' has not been exported from the executable.
gzdoom.pk3:zscript/mapdata.zs, line 253: The member variable 'F3DFloor.flags' has not been exported from the executable.
gzdoom.pk3:zscript/mapdata.zs, line 254: The member variable 'F3DFloor.Master' has not been exported from the executable.
gzdoom.pk3:zscript/mapdata.zs, line 256: The member variable 'F3DFloor.model' has not been exported from the executable.
gzdoom.pk3:zscript/mapdata.zs, line 257: The member variable 'F3DFloor.Target' has not been exported from the executable.
gzdoom.pk3:zscript/mapdata.zs, line 259: The member variable 'F3DFloor.Alpha' has not been exported from the executable.
gzdoom.pk3:zscript/mapdata.zs, line 261: The function 'F3DFloor.GetTexture' has not been exported from the executable
gzdoom.pk3:zscript/mapdata.zs, line 419: The function 'Sector.Get3DFloor' has not been exported from the executable
gzdoom.pk3:zscript/mapdata.zs, line 420: The function 'Sector.Get3DFloorCount' has not been exported from the executable
gzdoom.pk3:zscript/mapdata.zs, line 421: The function 'Sector.GetAttached' has not been exported from the executable
gzdoom.pk3:zscript/mapdata.zs, line 422: The function 'Sector.GetAttachedCount' has not been exported from the executable

Any ideas?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

You need to copy all files, not only executable. It’s a good idea to extract each version to own folder.

Post by Guest »

Thanks, that worked...but now we're back to the DirectInput error.

Man, it worked so perfectly the first time but now I can't get anything but the old version to run, what's going on? :(
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Can you try starting GZDoom with '+logfile log.txt' on the command line?
The error comes if both DirectInput8 and DirectInput3 fail to start - which strongly hints at some form of system corruption. Have you recently installed any new input hardware that required a special driver?

Post by Guest »

So, this is a bit embarrassing, but I believe I have fixed the problem simply by running GZDOOM as an administrator. Everything is working with the new versions and all my mdos run fine. If I encounter any other problems I'll let you know.

Thanks for all your help anyway!

Return to “Technical Issues”