Fullscreen Statusbar Mod [ON HOLD]

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Re: Fullscreen Statusbar Mod [v5.1.1]

Post by m8f »

Okay, I understand.
Thanks again for this addon.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 5.1.2 released

Post by NightFright »

I had forgotten to take bottom right level stats positions into account with the new split arms mode for Heretic. Gratefully 3saster took care of it quickly. I took the opportunity to add the same feature to Hexen, this time aligning the numbers to the side of the status bar (looks more balanced with active inventory item on the other side plus it's just four numbers which would look bad if top-aligned). I finally also realized that the way the Hexen automap had been looking so far was wrong - the two images for the keys/armor items panels from 4.x had not been added for some reason, resulting in only the icons being shown. It's fixed now.

Changelog v5.1.2:
[ALL] MENUDEF: Code optimization (now only HacX needs two files, all other games just one)
[DOOM] Automatic compatibility added for Sunlust
[HERETIC] Split mode: Arms numbers are no longer blocked by level stats
[HEXEN] Split mode: Added support for arms numbers (default: off)
[HEXEN] Automap: Re-added key/armor panels in minimized mode (graphics were missing)

Preview of activated "Split Arms" mode in Hexen:

Comparison old (bugged) minimized Hexen automap [with items since otherwise you wouldn't see any icons at all] and fixed one [no items]:
site
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: Fullscreen Statusbar Mod [v5.1.2]

Post by site »

thank you for continuing maintenance releases on this, but im gonna poke 3saster because at the same time i want this one mod to rule them all and after this it will be done because there is literally nothing else i can think of that would make this any better...

"Note that if you prefer Tekish's stats, you can disable the stats from this mod in the options menu, and use Tekish's instead. It's also given me an idea to consider power-up timers..."

*cough*
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

It's true, we are slowly approaching "feature complete" status.
The big thing still missing on my agenda is Strife support, even though it's not gonna be relevant for 99.9% of you guys out there since hardly anybody is playing it. That system timer for level stats would also be nice, but we need to wait until ZScript allows it.

Other than that, once everybody is also happy with stats, it's probably just about adding more compatibility support for all kinds of Doom PWADs.
jfxsan

Post by jfxsan »

Thanks for this great hud.

Just a question, was Ammo2 support implemented? I didn't see it, but apparently an older version had it. It'd be sweet.
3saster

Post by 3saster »

jfxsan wrote:Thanks for this great hud.

Just a question, was Ammo2 support implemented? I didn't see it, but apparently an older version had it. It'd be sweet.
I don't think I did, and part of that was I never considered it, since any mods that use multiple ammo sources tend to have their own HUD. I do recall it in the original version though, so when I get the chance, I'll see if I can implement it back (what mods would this be good for, out of curiosity?). I did do testing for this in Hexen, because Hexen does have weapons that use Ammo2 normally, so it would probably just be a manner of backporting it to Heretic and Doom.

BTW, sorry if development is a little slow! Things have been a little busy the last couple weeks, but hopefully I can get back to work and finally look into adding Strife support next week, and the other requested features.
Barry Burton

Post by Barry Burton »

Hey NightFright, firstly thanks for making such a slick little mod. It's got a permanent home in my autoload INI.

I was wondering if it would be possible to make it compatible with D4V? Is this something you can/would want to do? Regardless, thanks anyway. :)
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

After playing Final Doomer, I remember trying to get a similar fullscreen hud for general play.
I've been trying to make one too, but that didn't go as planned.
Then I saw this mod and oh man, I started using it a lot. :D
Very great and customizable status bar, thank you for it.
Last edited by Jarewill on Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
3saster

Post by 3saster »

Barry Burton wrote:Hey NightFright, firstly thanks for making such a slick little mod. It's got a permanent home in my autoload INI.

I was wondering if it would be possible to make it compatible with D4V? Is this something you can/would want to do? Regardless, thanks anyway. :)
It already is compatible with D4V! The only catch iirc is that this mod must be loaded AFTER D4V (this applies to stuff like Pirate Doom too btw). This is unfortunately a limitation of how statusbars work in GZDoom. Alternatively, leave the mod in your autoload, and simply load this MAPINFO lump after D4V:

Code: Select all

GameInfo
{ 
	StatusBarClass = "SpecialDoomStatusBar"
}
That will force this statusbar to be used.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

@ Barry Burton:
In the readme it's also mentioned we support D4V fully since v5.1.0 via the new compatibility system.
jfxsan

Post by jfxsan »

Hi 3saster, that would be good for standard weapon mods with reloads. I love Weapons of Saturn for example, and it pretty much just requires an additional Ammo2 display and nothing else. As long as I could see the number somewhere it'd be fine!
Barry Burton

Post by Barry Burton »

3saster, Thanks for the advice. :)
NightFright wrote:@ Barry Burton:
In the readme it's also mentioned we support D4V fully since v5.1.0 via the new compatibility system.
NightFright, I'm using 5.1.2 and I've been using your mod pretty much since it came out upgrading with every new release. It's never worked for me with D4V (also up to date) though it works fine (as far as I'm aware!) with most other things I've played. I also always use the latest GZDoom release, too.

Should I remove your HUD mod from my autoload list in my INI file and always load it after other mods to make it more compatible? I looked through the in-game menu and in my INI file to see if there were any compatibility options that I'd overlooked but didn't find any.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

You seem to misunderstand. Compatibility isn't an option in the menu, it just means some pwads need additional tweaks which are automatically applied when loading the mod with specific pwads. As 3saster pointed out there may be some mods that require you to load the mod after them.

D4V would work with the mod anyway, just without some more or less visual improvements (properly cut split panels, better looking ammo overview numbers when using transparency, color fix for Boom colors etc.). I wouldn't call that "not working" unless it doesn't work at all.

It's not always a good idea to have it in autoload since any pwad you run will always be loaded last. In fact, I would advise against that in general. There are many excellent launchers out there such as Doom Runner. With those you can make sure loading order is correct.
3saster

Post by 3saster »

NightFright wrote:It's not always a good idea to have it in autoload since any pwad you run will always be loaded last. In fact, I would advise against that in general. There are many excellent launchers out there such as Doom Runner. With those you can make sure loading order is correct.
I'll disagree with you on that front. I too, use this mod in my own autoload (do keep in mind that I largely play without mods). In fact, this is intentional, as with some mods that provide a custom HUD, this will allow the custom HUD to override this one, which can be important with mods that have new information on the HUD. That being said, I do also use a launcher (DoomLauncher) to ensure I know exactly what the load order is, though you could also use .bat files.

Never-the-less, as Nightfright said, this has to be loaded after some mods to correctly work (any mod with its own custom hud). There is unfortunately no way around this. However, for the sake of convenience and to avoid removing it from your autoload, I have included the MAPINFO lump from above in a little .pk3. Load this file at the very end of your load order (if fullscreen_huds is in your autoload), and it will force it to be used.
Attachments
ForceDoom.pk3
Load this last to force fullscreen_HUD's HUD to be used (this is specifically for Doom)
(206 Bytes) Downloaded 54 times
Last edited by 3saster on Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
3saster

Post by 3saster »

Good news @ Barry Burton (and anyone else interested)! Your situation inspired me to find a way to use this HUD with mods that have custom statusbars without loading additional files or changing load order. To my surprise, I actually found a way! The next version will include a ""Force HUD Override" option, which will force this HUD to be used regardless of your load order! The cost of this feature is that now the mod will now require GZDoom 4.2.4+. This particular feature is also prone to causing crashes on exiting on LZDoom, so I would recommend LZDoom users to not use this feature. It will likely be a little bit before the next version comes out (I still have a few things I wanna do first), but if you want this feature now, you can download the latest build version here.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”