Hell-Forged (updated to v1.11 - development paused)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

How do you feel about the difficulty of Hell-Forged Maps on UV (Grandmaster)?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:26 am

Too Easy
9%
Somewhat Easy
4%
Just Right
22%
Somewhat Hard
52%
Too Hard
13%
Impossible
No votes

Total votes: 23

m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Re: Hell-Forged - V. 1.00a (See Page 1)

Post by m8f »

Whoops! Sorry, my bad. False alarm. Basilisk consumes ammo perfectly as intended. There was an interference from one of my mods.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Cool. Glad that's resolved. :)
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Do you have a full resolution version of the title screen on hand?
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

SamVision wrote:Do you have a full resolution version of the title screen on hand?
Nope. That's as high as I have the finished product. Worked in higher res, but then finished it up in that res for the details. Was going to replace it when 1.1 rolls out.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

HF updated to 1.00b that fixes a couple minor bugs as well as some small texturing tweaks. See OP for download links if you're interested.
skdursh

Post by skdursh »

Amuscaria wrote:HF updated to 1.00b that fixes a couple minor bugs as well as some small texturing tweaks. See OP for download links if you're interested.
Could you upload it somewhere that doesn't require you to be a student at your school or sign in with Google's spyware, doesn't require anyone to make an account and especially doesn't require anyone giving out their email or any other personal information? Like mediafire, mega, dropbox, yadi.sk, anonfiles or one of the other places that allows you to just download without any strings attached? I like your work a lot but I personally don't really feel comfortable having to make accounts or hand out information to places that I know I won't be using regularly/ever again and I'm sure there are others who probably feel the same.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Oops. Set the sharelink properties wrong. It should work now without login. I've uploaded it to idgames as well. Just waiting approval.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

Amu, just a heads-up if you don't know, but the /idgames maintainers' protocol is that they send you an e-mail asking to verify that you're a human being. You need to reply to this e-mail within 7 days or the file will be rejected. You can also send an e-mail straight to them just before or after uploading, to circumvent their automatic e-mail to you.

You can check /idgames_txt on Twitter for rejections - I saw an earlier build of HF on there last month, so I figured you might not know about the verification step.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

@Jimmy: That's what happened last time with v1.00a. I never got any e-mail from them and kept getting the auto-reject several times. Had to contact Bloodshedder directly to get it approved. :P
Lagi

Re: Hell-Forged - V. 1.00b

Post by Lagi »

Im in tower of command (damn the ammo is too scarce! I wish I have at least shield to defense from projectile). I finish Hellkeep only by running past enemies, without killing them (27% kill) - combat is very hard and prevent me from solving the level. Always on the run. Pleasant change after hexen puzzle.

this game is all about secrets - I found sphere of regeneration, my life get so much easier. Sword smacking is even fun now.

I think, door one left from my position, should open normally, unless there is some complicated switch for 3 health :) .

p.s. the sound of Aracknights are too loud! I hear them non stop - its annoying.

edit:
Woolie Wool wrote:
Spoiler:
Excatly. For me this Hellforge is Doom 2.
I cannot believe you Amuscaria did it alone!
Amuscaria wrote:
Spoiler:
Ohhh myy :D I cant await for more info about your second mod. Hell-forge name is associate with this mod, it would be confusing having just Hellforge and Hellforge:CotD. City of the Damned looks like it will be a completely different game.

What you mind by rpg-lite elements? Stats and exp level from monster killing? For me Strife approach for rpg-doom was correct (RPG element by talkable npc).
Classes differentiation, any specific ideas? Like :
  • Juggernaut can break some walls OR lift heavy box/rocks OR open massive doors OR can have max HP enough to survive something (being catapulted, drinking elixir, eating mushroom, falling, suffocating)
    Assassin can climb (or have rope) OR can move/jump fast enough to escape something/catch something, OR his small enough to fit in some hole OR can sneak past guards
    Templar can get fire-resist to swim in lava OR can heal some NPC (if you foreseen any) OR can convert enemies as ally OR ghosts in some place dont auto-kill him, because they would be repulse OR he can activate some map feature related to religion (altars)
    Mage levitation (cannot fly up) OR freeze water OR can use electric weapon to power some machinery OR can use some map features; activate portal/ read book
I wonder what weapons you think about, and how would they work. Any general idea? What ammo: mana or classic? Do you think about active defense (shields)? Do you foreseen usable inventory ? if so what artifacts then?

If class learn skill by exploring map, wouldn't it work just like finding new weapon?

edit:
I spend 1h trying to kill the Hellsmith - i give up & cheated :roll: Apparently you need the ghost weapons to have a chance with Hellsmith. I didnt find it, so maybe i save myself some time. I have no idea how can you in same time avoid lava, run from projectiles (his barrage of missiles is impossible!) and shoot at hellsmith.
I really like that previous map bosses you can just skip. Its like "run away puny human, you're no match for me" - I like it a lot, I have a feeling that Im nobody.
Thanks a lot. That was good & hard (on Templar difficulty).
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

I'm starting to think I didn't balance the Normal (Templar) difficulty correctly because I spent most of my time testing UV (Grandmaster). On UV, I've never run out of ammo. Will go back and test Templar difficulty for the 1.1 patch. most of the ammo complaints have been on that difficulty. That being said, there is enough ammo to kill most if not all of the monsters without any secrets. A lot of the ammo is placed behind or on top of crates. I don't just place a bunch of ammo in front of the player as they run. Exploration is rewarded.

That door is one meant to flow into the next hub down the sequence. The key requirement is intended.

Didn't do it alone, had a lot of testers. Comet and Blue Shadow made all the ZScripted weapons and item sorcery.

You can kill the Hellsmith with nothing by the Vorpal Blade and the right power-up. Also don't need the soul weapons to kill him; it's just easier. :P
---------------------------------------------------

HF:COTD is intended to be the sequel to HF, hence the name. It will be similar just with classes, and some RPG-lite elements. All of the ammo will be the same as HF, although not all classes uses them the same.

There will be no direct leveling of the player stats (i.e. Health, armor, etc). Instead each class will have passive and active skills that level up as you use them. You unlock additional skills by finding tomes or other items as you explore. Most of them will be class-specific. The goal is to reward exploration more so than HF, but not require it. I'm trying to avoid leveling up the player only to scale up the monsters later, which negates the whole point. My intention is to allow the player to play the game run-and-gun style and still be able to beat it, although exploring will buff the player permanently, making it easier over time.

The classes are designed to be played in COOP as well, so their skills will have some team-based utility. Weapons use ammo as normal (except for the Battlemage), and skills uses Mana (or something like it). Ammo needs to be picked up, mana regenerates over time. Also trying to keep the classes balanced for Deathmatch and CTF, if possible.

The classes traits are listed below (early WIP).

Templar:
-Most balanced class. Good speed, health, armor, and agility (jumping/crouching).
-Similar weapons to HF Templar.
-Heals over time with passive and active skills.
-Commands auras that boost team stats.
-Overall the easiest class to play, since it's pretty much Doomguy with some magic.

Juggernaut:
-Heavy class. Best armor and health. Cannot jump or crouch. Largest classes with big hit-box.
-Slow, heavy hitting weapons. Some of them short-range.
-Tanks damage from low-damage monsters. Iron-Skin passive will cut damage by a certain set value, allowing the Juggernaut to just charge in without taking damage from weaker enemies. This levels up.
-Can go berserk at will. Will gain damage exponentially for all melee weapons as he kills while in berserk until the effect wears off. Charging into enemies are rewarded.

Assassin:
-Fast class. Great speed and agility. Jumps the highest, farthest, can climb walls, and can squeeze through the smallest places. Lowest damage resistance.
-Early weapons are silent and won't trigger monster wake-up. Unsuspecting monsters take quad-damage from silent attacks. Stealth-approach is rewarded by one-shotting things that don't see you.
-Passive skills allow it to fade into the shadows or become invisible. Stealth is rewarded for this class instead.
-Lays down traps and other gadgets.

Battlemage:
-Ranged class with the most powerful attacks. Relatively weak and non too agile, but not like the typical whimpy magic class. Resistant against magic, but weak against physical attacks.
-Starts off with 3 of 5 weapons, but must learn the alternate attacks through tomes. All non-weapon spells uses mana, but becomes more powerful with the right ammo available. Some weapons have extra conditions.
-Each weapon/spell has a passive effect that is triggered as long as the weapon is being used (i.e. the Blood weapon will regenerate yours and team health over time, Nail-weapon increases armor, etc).
-Has defensive spells that is affected by the weapon being used (i.e. the Nova spell will change to the element of the weapon, and gain additional affects).

Overall, it's a lengthy project. I'm going to put this on hold because I want to up the bar by using 2x resolution sprites compared to those in Hexen, as well as double animation smoothness. Not something I can do until I learn Blender as well as ZScript, so going to work up some experience with HF:Ep2 first.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

Amuscaria wrote:I'm starting to think I didn't balance the Normal (Templar) difficulty correctly because I spent most of my time testing UV (Grandmaster). On UV, I've never run out of ammo. Will go back and test Templar difficulty for the 1.1 patch. most of the ammo complaints have been on that difficulty. That being said, there is enough ammo to kill most if not all of the monsters without any secrets. A lot of the ammo is placed behind or on top of crates. I don't just place a bunch of ammo in front of the player as they run. Exploration is rewarded.
There is no ammo drop from monster, so I dont think difficulty is a factor here. Rather players skill & playstyle - I f.ex. don't explore levels, just go with the flow. Levels are perfectly design & beautiful just to walk around. Game is balanced - very challenging (for me at least :) ).
Amuscaria wrote:That door is one meant to flow into the next hub down the sequence. The key requirement is intended.
I mean this door, wont normally open (I used single save for whole game, & cannot quickly recheck it). The one with key requirement is fine.
Spoiler:
Amuscaria wrote:You can kill the Hellsmith with nothing by the Vorpal Blade and the right power-up. Also don't need the soul weapons to kill him; it's just easier. :P
Eh.. you write it like its walk in the park - internet spoil everything (and de-demonize ). Hellsmith is excellent as a character - his oneliners just made awesome ambience (like Korax in each hub start in Hexen). If I were 10 years old again, I would have nightmares for few days about Hellsmith. :shock:
---------------------------------------------------
Amuscaria wrote:There will be no direct leveling of the player stats (i.e. Health, armor, etc). Instead each class will have passive and active skills that level up as you use them. You unlock additional skills by finding tomes or other items as you explore. Most of them will be class-specific. The goal is to reward exploration more so than HF, but not require it. I'm trying to avoid leveling up the player only to scale up the monsters later, which negates the whole point. My intention is to allow the player to play the game run-and-gun style and still be able to beat it, although exploring will buff the player permanently, making it easier over time.
that sounds good!
except: "level up as use" - remind me about putting book on keyboard to level up some skills in I-forgot-what-game. Or about jumping in Morrowind.
level up as use, is sensible if you have to use skill with successful effect - kill something, defuse trap, open lock. Still its a big field for abuse or boring grind.
I would consider leveling up single chosen skill by one point at the end of each level. This would balance the COOP games as well.
Amuscaria wrote:The classes traits are listed below (early WIP).
Spoiler:
Templar: Passive regeneration = camping and do nothing. Active regeneration by skill is annoying (in BrutalHexen - use skill to convert mana into heal after each battle, another labor after quick saving), unless there is some tactical consideration (like the ammo you use for self heal, is the ammo you dont use for killing - and exchange rate make it not worth to heal self).
In HF it's greatly design, each shot from Wheel of Pain can grant you back 1 HP if you catch special projectile. It support gameplay. If in same manner, Templar have short range weapon that after killing monster, left his blood, that can be pickup by any player. This would force Templar to expose self to provide healing for himself or other (still this idea may be bad, because other players will left monsters for Templar to last-hit, or would it be a feature of teamplay?)

Juggernaut nice, Iron skin sound great. Assassin fantastic, would love to see him in action. Battlemage sound like a mess (mentioned passive effects (healing esp) is involving into Templars competence), he would be good if focus on AoE and crowd control abilities.

Ofc. Its just my babble. For sure you will figure the best way out. You deliver the best content on earth, so I'm probably wrong above. :D Im just hyped.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

@Lagi: That's a secret door. :D
Spoiler:
-----------------------
EDIT: There is a minor bug with the M_Doom entry in the latest 1.00b version. The offsets should be 96,33, instead of 0,0. Fix it yourself if the messed up logo bugs you. :D
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

Yo Amuscaria, congrats on the Cacoward win!!! :mrgreen:
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Thanks! :mrgreen:

But it looks like I wasn't the biggest procrastinator this time around. I'll see y'all again in 30 years with HF Episode 2.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”