Deathmatch Simulator - This Mod Has Moved. See OP For Details.

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Deathmatch Simulator - This Mod Has Moved. See OP For Details.

Post by Kinsie »

Downloads

Deathmatch Simulator is a mod for GZDoom that aims to recreate the thrills and excitement of all the deathmatching you normally need to install a fork of a decade-out-of-date engine build to do. Independent scientific reports have shown that Deathmatch Simulator is capable of "simulating" a deathmatch game with "100%" "accuracy".* (However, should you turn monsters off or actually be able to start a multiplayer game, the simulation aspect will be suspended, allowing you to cheerfully enjoy true multiplayer with some new content that might have even been built with it in mind.)

Features:
  • Highly realistic AI opponents** powered by the latest in machine-learning-based artificial intelligence. Watch them run, dodge, fight, avoid environmental hazards*** and even fall in love... if you play your cards right.
  • A powerful arsenal adding a few twists on the classic Doom arsenal, along with a few new weapons to play with.
  • A built in map pack containing a variety of classic Deathmatch maps with a few tweaks and adjustments, accompanied by a couple of new and exciting faces... with at least one lurking in the lightless space between both extremes...
  • Map compatibility with most Deathmatch maps and even Skulltag maps!
Media:

New and Reasonably Different Equipment:
Spoiler:
Pro Tips:
  • Straferunning makes you move that little bit faster. If you can't reach an item or a platform, try doing a straferunning jump.
  • Some monsters may be capable of crouching. When they do, not only will they be a smaller target, but autoaim won't target them.
  • Rockets do 50% damage for a couple of ticks after being fired, making Quake-style Rocket Jumping a lot more viable.
Responsible Disclosure:
This does some pretty gnarly stuff with the engine, so expect issues! See TODO.TXT inside the PK3 to know what’s on the current agenda re: bugs and future content. While you’re at it, check out CREDITS.TXT to learn more about the fine people who did all the real work on this massive pile. :)

* Lie.
** We tricked some monsters into thinking they were people.
*** Sometimes.
Last edited by Kinsie on Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:06 am, edited 17 times in total.
Tartlman

Re: [WIP Release] Deathmatch Simulator

Post by Tartlman »

seems interesting. i'll check it out soon!

you know, this would be crazy fun if we got randomly rolled modifiers like in reelism
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

How feasible is a menu to toggle certain monsters on or off? Because the only way this mod and GothicDM could go better together is if all your opponents are cultists.

EDIT: I think it might improve weapon balance if the machine gun either went fully automatic or replaced the pistol, with a more traditional rapid fire weapon taking its former place. Right now it doesn't seem to have much stopping power.

Saving the nitpickiest for last (unless I come up with something else later), I was a little disappointed that certain opponents didn't have specific reactions to being hurt or killed by the flamethrower, like Ranger making his delightful "whoops I'm in the lava" sounds or the cultists doing what they do best.
Love Shovel

Post by Love Shovel »

Looks great! I've been excited about this one since you first had that video footage. Is it for a specific version of GZDoom? None of my installs loaded it correctly.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Love Shovel wrote:Looks great! I've been excited about this one since you first had that video footage. Is it for a specific version of GZDoom? None of my installs loaded it correctly.
Run the batch file to get a nice PK3, then drop it onto the latest version (v4.2.3) of GZDoom.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

This is cool, although the weapon choices are a little odd I will get used to them.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

SiFi270 wrote:How feasible is a menu to toggle certain monsters on or off? Because the only way this mod and GothicDM could go better together is if all your opponents are cultists.
Not impossible, but a little above my head. I might add an "Arena" skill setting that only spawns monsters of one user-specified type...
SiFi270 wrote:EDIT: I think it might improve weapon balance if the machine gun either went fully automatic or replaced the pistol, with a more traditional rapid fire weapon taking its former place. Right now it doesn't seem to have much stopping power.
At one point the Machinegun was automatic, but it felt uninspiring, to say the least. I do like the idea of replacing the pistol with it, though...
SiFi270 wrote:Saving the nitpickiest for last (unless I come up with something else later), I was a little disappointed that certain opponents didn't have specific reactions to being hurt or killed by the flamethrower, like Ranger making his delightful "whoops I'm in the lava" sounds or the cultists doing what they do best.
The Cultist sounds may be a bit uninspiring, but I've just pushed this to the Github along with a couple of other nitpicky asset tweaks.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Sweet. Something to replace the outdated ZCajun. :D
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

Speaking of neat additions, the bots bantering in chat would be also pretty neat to see, or at least being able to see their names in a leaderboard or somethin
Yoshi348

Post by Yoshi348 »

Been having some goes with this over the past few days. My favorite part is definitely having a bunch of different types of enemies that each have their own "personality" and style, which really elevates it over a standard target fest. The highlight is of course Ranger HUNH HUNHing around while using Quake Champion voice clips, but I also love things like finagling a taunt sound out of zombie alert sounds.

As far as outright bugs go, picking up a protective suit while you already have one causes it to go into your Heretic inventory, which given what the HUD does is presumably not what was supposed to happen. Oddly doesn't happen if you're in the blinking "running out" phase. There's more issues with these inventory suits but that's probably garbage in, garbage out. Health carries over from map to map, even though nothing else including armor does, so that's probably an oversight. Finally, although it's very rare I've twice had a sprite version of myself standing around being intangible and not interacting with anything. I think they appeared where I died and perhaps happened because I respawned so fast my corpse didn't go into the animation of becoming a corpse.

I one thing I really missed having was having some of the more advanced weapon switch logic of actual multiplayer ports and instead just switching everytime a new weapon is picked up, especially with all the shotguns left lying around in random places by the shotgunners. With the minigun equipped you actually forcibly stop firing whenever you pick up a new weapon, even if you're still holding the trigger; that might reach into bug territory, and I think that happened in Reelism too.

Some random other general things: I'm a bit surprised you don't lose a point for killing yourself, though really in this situation I'm not sure it's as necessary as it usually is. It just feels weird given that's now a fundamental part of death match scoring. I'm torn on whether the spawning warning silhouettes should be FULLBRIGHT or not. You also seem to be overwriting PANEL1 and PANEL2 from DOOM2.wad in your DM map textures, which probably isn't wise.

Most of the weapons are small tweaks to the previous weapons, which makes sense and works alright. I was okay with the Machinegun being somewhat underwhelming given the chaingun isn't supposed to be that powerful. The new BFG works well. The Gauntlet replacing the Fist works well gameplay wise, but man, that thing is not satisfying to use at all, audio-visualwise. It doesn't really even feel like you're actually hitting anything except that your opponent is going into the pain animation. Of course, it becomes satisfying once you get a berserk, simply because people die in like a half a second so you get by on sheer power level. I think berserk pack Gauntlet might be too powerful against the "bots", especially for something map makers would put in a map expecting no real offensive upgrade but would maybe still put in for the health. The Flamethrower, on the other hand, does a good job of repurposing a gimmicky melee weapon slot without skewing the balance too much. It feels useful but also in-line.

The fact that the kill target just keeps going up by 5 without any sort of limit seems like a problem if you're trying to test a large wad like the linked FreeDM, as you're kind of eventually forced to idclev, which then resets the count to a potentially trivial 20. How hard the kill target is varies quite a bit between map sets; FreeDM I got to 85-ish while I struggled around 50 on the fauxDM map pack. Maybe dropping the target down by 5 whenever you lose would make sense?

The first two repurposed maps in the fauxDM pack work well as expected. Forgotten Temple works surprisingly well for a prototype map for a completely different game; I like it quite a bit. Shooting Gallery is slower paced but that's okay. I'm not sure about Don't Wake Daddy, though, at least in fauxDM mode... the big mosh pit where everyone falls in has a lot of the kills but basically no ammo leaving a lot of going back and forth, and centerpiece of the Icon shooting explosives might as well not even be there as far as fauxDM is concerned, because no monsters are ever going to stay on the bridges for more than a second. Also the music might be driving me slowly mad.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Thanks for the feedback! I'm keeping all of it in mind, but for now I'm only responding to some of it.
Yoshi348 wrote:As far as outright bugs go, picking up a protective suit while you already have one causes it to go into your Heretic inventory, which given what the HUD does is presumably not what was supposed to happen. Oddly doesn't happen if you're in the blinking "running out" phase. There's more issues with these inventory suits but that's probably garbage in, garbage out.
Fixed, thanks.
Health carries over from map to map, even though nothing else including armor does, so that's probably an oversight.
Fixed, thanks.
Finally, although it's very rare I've twice had a sprite version of myself standing around being intangible and not interacting with anything. I think they appeared where I died and perhaps happened because I respawned so fast my corpse didn't go into the animation of becoming a corpse.
There seems to be a rare bug where the player doesn't enter their death state when they die. I'm not entirely sure what causes it and haven't been able to consistently reproduce it. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to know!
You also seem to be overwriting PANEL1 and PANEL2 from DOOM2.wad in your DM map textures, which probably isn't wise.
IIRC these were extracted directly from Skulltag, I dunno how they handled things.
The fact that the kill target just keeps going up by 5 without any sort of limit seems like a problem if you're trying to test a large wad like the linked FreeDM, as you're kind of eventually forced to idclev, which then resets the count to a potentially trivial 20. How hard the kill target is varies quite a bit between map sets; FreeDM I got to 85-ish while I struggled around 50 on the fauxDM map pack. Maybe dropping the target down by 5 whenever you lose would make sense?
I plan on increasing the time limit every X amount of levels, but I'm not entirely sure when and by how much. I also plan on adding some non-respawning time-extension pickups, possibly replacing the Computer Map?
I'm not sure about Don't Wake Daddy, though, at least in fauxDM mode... the big mosh pit where everyone falls in has a lot of the kills but basically no ammo leaving a lot of going back and forth, and centerpiece of the Icon shooting explosives might as well not even be there as far as fauxDM is concerned, because no monsters are ever going to stay on the bridges for more than a second.
Yeah, the AI is a bit of a problem. I'd like to add some sort of way to persuade the AI to stay away from an area without explicitly, artificially blocking them (so you can still knock them off), perhaps ala the "GTFO" sector effectors from Ion Fury.
Keldian

Post by Keldian »

Does artificial intelligence learn as you play?
Is it possible to create some kind of collective intelligence among enemies?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Keldian wrote:Does artificial intelligence learn as you play?
Heck no, these are dumb monsters that I tricked into thinking (falsely) that they were human.
Keldian wrote:Is it possible to create some kind of collective intelligence among enemies?
I mean, probably? Babel plays around with stuff like this.
Kinsie

Re: [WIP Release] Deathmatch Simulator (6/11 - Build 01)

Post by Kinsie »

If development builds scare you, I've tied the ends off the current build and declared it stable. Give it a shot and let me know what you think!
ZeeDoo

Re: [WIP Release] Deathmatch Simulator (6/11 - Build 01)

Post by ZeeDoo »

Cool! But I agree that the weapon choices are a little odd at first

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”