SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.2.5 (19/Dec/2023)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Quantum3113

Re: SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.1.7 (07/Oct/2019)

Post by Quantum3113 »

DabbingSquidward wrote:I think that's intentional, everything between quotation marks is treated as a string. Btw, under options you should be able to choose between different themes and select individual colors for everything. Last but not least, what gets colored is depending on the selected definition language, but strings should be red in all of them by default, hope I could help:D

Edit: Most of the time you don't need to put text into quotation marks, except if it contains one or more spaces. But it's better to stick to it.
Ok cool, thanks for pointing that out. I thought it was weird cause my mod ran fine with no in game errors so i wasnt sure if something had changed or i was doing something wrong. Guess im used to red being an error. Think ill change the color to something else lol.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

I've long since gotten used to open all new pwads in Slade3 and append .txt to all text files, which, subsequently, makes life a lot easier. Perhaps the onus should be on the map creators to identify text files as such.

As an aside,
the Start Page still mentions 3.1.6 as the latest version
Spoiler:
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

i have this weird problem where my typing cursor (the blinking one) keeps vanishing when i type in parenthesis inside a function that slade identifies (either under decorate or zscript format) and i have to click another entry and then back to have it reappear
i have all calltip options disabled under text editor preferences
and slade crashes with ctrl+space

ok, i just tried using "none" as the format and tried to close a multi line comment (*/), and it crashed so hard the crash window glitched out and i had to use task manager

can i have the previous stable version before the october 6th one? this version really has it in for me
edit:
missed the link from last page, will give it a try

edit 2:
github version fixed the crashes, but now its giving me the calltips (which i have disabled) when i use parenthesis inside a function
ex.
function((vector3), val, val);
will open the calltips on the vector3's closing parenthesis
Mordeth

Post by Mordeth »

I haven't checked all 2,8k replies here to see if it's mentioned before, but there is (was?) a problem with the maintenance functionality in v3.1.4. The 'remove unused patches' function used on my WIP finds a 'wall30_3' patch that is apparently unused and thus subsequently removes it. Problem is: it's part of the vanilla PNAMES / TEXTURE1 lumps, while my WIP uses a PNAMES / TEXTURE2 (that's 'two') lump. Result: vanilla textures become garbled because removal of that patch causes its numbering to go out of sync so the wrong patches get used from that moment on.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I noticed the 3.1.7 XP build was actually the 3.1.6 build repackaged, so I removed it. I suppose most people will prefer the regular or the 64-bit builds anyway.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Are those XP builds actually still being needed?
The last number about XP I got on GZDoom's surveys was 0.1% user share before I pulled the plug when switching to VS 2019.
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

We'll see if anyone complains I guess :P I planned to discontinue them from 3.2.0 onwards anyway
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Mordeth wrote:I haven't checked all 2,8k replies here to see if it's mentioned before, but there is (was?) a problem with the maintenance functionality in v3.1.4. The 'remove unused patches' function used on my WIP finds a 'wall30_3' patch that is apparently unused and thus subsequently removes it. Problem is: it's part of the vanilla PNAMES / TEXTURE1 lumps, while my WIP uses a PNAMES / TEXTURE2 (that's 'two') lump. Result: vanilla textures become garbled because removal of that patch causes its numbering to go out of sync so the wrong patches get used from that moment on.
Do you have the TEXTURE1 entry included in your WIP wad/zip? If not, it won't be considered by the maintenance function at all (it only looks at TEXTUREx entries within the current archive)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I got a feature request. I wanted to analyze Blood's RFF files but had to find out that SLADE can neither display nor edit the resource ID that can be assigned to each entry. Since this is vital information for Blood it means I can neither edit the file nor extract data I only know the ID of. Is there any chance this can be added?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Editing wouldn't be very useful as RFF writing was not implemented (encryption, unknown fields...).

This resource ID, is it IndexNum?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yes, precisely that.

I really wish that Blood's makers hadn't done such a [censored word] thing and completely circumvent the resource management of the underlying engine - and do it in a way that adds a signifcant amount of mess to the playing field. After having looked through some Blood mods, they tend to be on the messy side due to the weird resource management...

Concerning RFF writing, content encryption is entirely optional so that shouldn't be a blocker. I'd agree that the format is of lesser importance, but let's not forget that there's two functional Blood ports plus an official new engine out there now, and none changes anything about the [censored word] resource management of the game.
For the unknown fields, they are marked "unused" in NBlood, And that means, they never get read by the game. If you leave them at 0, it should be ok.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I have two separate sectors which I joined. Is there a way to de-join or split them? In my particular case, what I want is to delete one of them, but the thing is, if I select the one to delete, the other sector will be selected as well.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Sector mode, put cursor into one part and hit "insert" to create a new sector.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Thanks.
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

On the newest version (3.1.7), this plasma ball sprite is broken. It says it's a (SRB2 Encore) Graphic.
The issue wasn't there in the older version.
Image:
Spoiler:

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”