GZDoom 4.2.3 released [wut?]

Please do not mimic the behavior of the posts shown here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

GZDoom 4.2.3 released [wut?]

Postby Uni-000 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:08 pm

I'm with Enjay, but here's something for the people here.

I would actually love to see True 3D in here, such as stacking sectors over and under each other without line functions.

Maybe that could be in a experimental branch with the true moving sectors and texture rotation and skewing, in some kind of new map format. But I suppose the people will have to make sure not to load 2D and 3D maps together, and develop an editor for it, similar to Serious Sam's level editor. But with more Shapes and options.

But even then. This would be sadly impossible for now. :(
Uni-000
Banned User

Discord: Uni#4057

Re: GZDoom 4.2.3 released

Postby Cherno » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:06 pm

Uni-000 wrote:I'm with Enjay, but here's something for the people here.

I would actually love to see True 3D in here, such as stacking sectors over and under each other without line functions.

Maybe that could be in a experimental branch with the true moving sectors and texture rotation and skewing, in some kind of new map format. But I suppose the people will have to make sure not to load 2D and 3D maps together, and develop an editor for it, similar to Serious Sam's level editor. But with more Shapes and options.

My dream engine would be like Quake II's but keeping Doom's sprite rendering and ease of modification. Alas, this would constitute a complete rewrite of the engine since it would break pretty much everything :) I'M more than happy with the continuous works the devs put into this project and I tip my hat :wub:
Cherno

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:17 am

Uni-000 wrote:I'm with Enjay, but here's something for the people here.

I' afraid that the 3D stuff is mostly beyond the capabilities of an engine that's made to play Doom. The portals as they are are probably the best that's doable.

For the texture skewing I think the best approach would be a generalitzation of the texture positioning code so that everything ends up in a texture matrix - if that's all the engine ever sees and exposed to editing you can skew all you want with no limitations, of course it'd need some convenicence wrappers for editing.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby sirudoom » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:31 am

so it will never be like gmod or whatever its called? quake 3 is as old as half life 2 (20 years), it would be better then this 26 year old game. there have been many mods for quake 3 so why not use that?

you have done so much work on doom, it would messed up to through it all away. im not very smart with computer stuff but have many questions.
sirudoom

Postby Rachael » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:35 am

If you want to mod for Doom use a Doom engine. If you want to mod for Quake use a Quake engine.

You're basically trying to force Doom/GZDoom to be something that it is not. Sorry, but there are limitations as to what software can do, and they are not possible to bypass unless you have someone with tons of motivation, time, and determination to create what you seem to think should be so simple. There is no "just do this/that" when it comes to software.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby sirudoom » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:39 am

one more question, isn't total chaos doom mod pretty much q3? why not use that engine?
sirudoom

Re: GZDoom 4.2.3 released [wut?]

Postby Rachael » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:48 am

Not trying to be harsh, but:

At this point I can't tell if this is just trolling and I think it's better to just terminate this discussion before it goes any further.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Return to Hall of Unpleasantness