[LZWolf]LZWolf Open Invitation Mapset [NOW RELEASED]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
AstroCreep

[LZWolf]LZWolf Open Invitation Mapset [NOW RELEASED]

Post by AstroCreep »

Image by Dunkelschwamm

EDIT 11/8/2020 - RELEASED! https://www.moddb.com/mods/lzwolf-first ... ite-mapset

This is a project made from the collaboration of many people, in an effort to showcase the versatibility and features provided by LZWolf, a fork of Blzut3's ECWolf source port maintained by Linuxwolf.

The levels contained in this mod vary radically, from vanilla classic-style maps with cool new actors, to intricate and stunning behemoths, some with features such as parallax skies and larger-than-64x maps.

This is built off of a toolkit, designed by AstroCreep, that includes extra actors and tiles already defined, and then was distributed and used as a base to build the submitted maps off of.

All features vary by map, using LZWolf's feature to load different XLAT files per map - some maps are very decidedly vanilla, while others are radically different and utilize some of the modding features available in LZWolf

DOWNLOAD
Last edited by AstroCreep on Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voltcom9

Re: [LZWolf]LZWolf Open Invitation Mapset (Submit your maps!

Post by Voltcom9 »

I'd like to attempt a map for this.
I have not mapped for Wolf3d before but the minimalism of it seems pretty interesting to me.
I've never used any Wolf3d editors before so honestly don't expect too much on my first map lol.
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

Voltcom9 wrote:I'd like to attempt a map for this.
I have not mapped for Wolf3d before but the minimalism of it seems pretty interesting to me.
I've never used any Wolf3d editors before so honestly don't expect too much on my first map lol.
Don't worry, I've also used it for the first time and it's rather simple, albeit a little confusing on start. Just be sure to constantly save your progress on the map.
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

Ok, I've finally got the hang of this now. It's quite simple to map for Wolf3d after figuring out how to set up the editors.

I'll try to post my results here in the next couple weeks.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Awesome dude. Can’t wait to see it.
EpicTyphlosion
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by EpicTyphlosion »

Definitely interested in this one as I've been meaning to make some Wolf3D maps lately. Like one person said, the minimalism these maps have is very interesting!
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Of course with practice they can also get not-so-minimalistic ;)
EpicTyphlosion
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by EpicTyphlosion »

AstroCreep wrote:
Of course with practice they can also get not-so-minimalistic ;)
Really cool! Though I may need some help on how to use WDC. I know Wolf3D modding isn't as easy to do, but it's even harder if you don't know what to do, lol
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

For sure dude. You can find tutorials on WolfSource, which is as of now the premier resource for all things Wolf3D. You can also PM me here, however I am not on the forums all that often. You can find me more often on WolfSource's Discord - many of us from the Wolf community frequent there. Feel free to find me on there and send me a message.
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

Those screenshots look incredible. My map as of now is pretty much a vanilla Wolf3d map with no additional extras. Granted it's the first map I've
designed for Wolf3d but it looks super amateur in comparison to the above screenshots.

Was there a deadline for this?

edit: also WDC doesn't seem to work for me. Everytime I open a map with it everything is in READ ONLY so I can't edit anything. I there
something In the setup to turn this off. I ended up constructing my map with Havoc's Wolf3d editor which worker pretty well but
certainly didn't allow the full extent of modability.
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

Voltcom9 wrote: Was there a deadline for this?
Nope, there is no deadline on this project, just take your time.
Voltcom9 wrote:Everytime I open a map with it everything is in READ ONLY so I can't edit anything.
You need to save/create your project first in order to edit/create maps in WDC. Believe me, even I was confused at first.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

as QDN said, you need to set up your project information completely, which means you need to set the output folder in the project information menu. When you are done, you will also need to extract your map to wad. There are two ways to do this:

The first way, the manual way, is to select import/export from the top menu bar, select export to file and save your map as PLANES.map. Then use SLADE to create a blank wad file named map01.wad. Put PLANES.map into the wad and right above it make a blank entry named MAP01 and save. Dump this wad into the MAPS directory in the toolkit pk3 and load it with LZWolf to test it out.

The second way is to use the direct WAD exporter. To do this, go to File and select Export to WAD/PK3/PK7. You will need to point to this file under "Lump Name File". Select ONLY the map you wish to export (in the second column). Then press export, select WAD format and save as map01.wad and dump into the maps folder in the toolkit.pk3

If you do wish to submit a map, simply send me your map01.wad. I would very much prefer that you name it something distinctive however instead of map01, example my map I am arranging as AC_01.

At some point I may also try to make definitions for HWE, so stay tuned.

As of right now there is no deadline, we are trying to see how many people are interested and get a few submissions before we set any concrete deadline. You have plenty of time to get something put together.
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

So WDC just erased my map. I created a small fun vanilla Wolf 3d map using Havoc's editor but when trying to edit it with WDC it erased everything.
Sorry guys but mapping using WDC is very frustrating and just isn't intuitive enough for me to want to continue.

I apologize but I'm stepping out from this project. I do look forward to seeing what people come up with and honestly look forward to playing some
new advanced Wolf3d maps. Best of luck to all participants.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Weird. I am looking into making hwe definitions if you change your mind.

(This is also why I’m constantly pressing compile all and constantly making backups)

I’m wondering if maybe it erased it because of the base project files. Did you export the map from hwe and then import into wdc or try to load the wl6 files?
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Well guys, its been a while, but this project is finally completed! Head over to ModDB to check it out!

https://www.moddb.com/mods/lzwolf-first ... ite-mapset

Return to “Levels”