[4.2.0] A Couple of Bugs

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.

[4.2.0] A Couple of Bugs

Post by Guest »

So, there's a couple of bugs that I have noticed while playing in GZDoom version 4.2.0 (64-bit). I didn't find a fitting category for them so I'm just going to toss everything here.

In order:

1) I was trying a Doom Shareware 0.99 in GZDoom 4.2.0 and I found a bug: Nightmare difficulty is still listed in the skill selection menu, which should not be existing here at all since NM was introduced only in version 1.2 (didn't actually bother to try it and see if it works, but it definitely shouldn't if it does indeed work). Opening the skill menu also displays an error message in the corner in this version (of the IWAD): "Missing Menu Texture: M_NMARE." Makes sense since it's looking for a texture that doesn't exit yet.

2) I've also noticed a while ago that, for some reason, GZDoom has a stupid habit of preserving various custom fonts from PWADs and using them even when it really shouldn't (the Nightmare! I'm seeing in this case is using a custom font from Darkmoon, displayed in red, which is indeed a wad I played a while ago). It's still using its fonts in other parts (even though I don't even have the wad anymore), namely in the title of all sub-menus. I think deleting the config file removes those erroneous fonts that are still in use, but I'm reporting this since it's a bug nonetheless.

3) A long-standing issue regarding the secret notification sound. Since... forever I think (because it's also in ZDoom 2.8.1), the first time the secret notification sound plays after booting up (G)ZDoom it causes the game to stutter for a millisecond or so.

After it plays for the first time, it never stutters the game again, but the first time it plays it always causes it to stutter (I can reliably reproduce this bug in... pretty much any version). I don't think the issue is caused by the sound effect itself because the same sound is also used in PrBoom and it works just fine there.

And I also noticed that the player's weapon sprites are not affected by the lightning's level in the classic Software render in 4.2.0 (but I've seen on github that this was supposedly fixed in devbuilds by drfrag).

4) For some reason, the monitor can go to sleep if I leave the game paused for a while (probably after the same amount of time it normally goes to sleep while idling in Windows). This never happens if I'm recording.

The Doom Shareware collection: https://github.com/Doom-Utils/shareware-collection
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: [4.2.0] A Couple of Bugs

Post by Graf Zahl »

1) is known but won't be changed. The engine never tries to determine an IWAD's version because it normally does not need to.

2) We'd really need a concrete example of how this can even happen. Fonts never get cached so if the PWAD in question is not loaded it cannot access it.

3) That will happen if the sound is loaded for the first time from a slow drive. I've been using SSDs for many years now and never experience such things anymore. Does this happen with other sounds as well?

4) Where's the bug here? I haven't coded this, it's probably inherited from ZDoom but it sounds sensible that the game tries to stay awake when recording.

Post by Guest »

1) That's depressing, but okay.

2) What kind of example? I have one in the screenshots and those fonts are from a PWAD (Darkmoon) I played a while ago. The PWAD is neither loaded nor is it still on my HDD in those screenshots. If you don't know, then I don't know what to say either.

3) No, it's virtually the one and only sound effect that stutters the game the first time it plays. As far as I'm aware it's always been like this, in all versions I tried (post-2.8.1), on 2 different machines (but both ran GZDoom from a HDD so there's not much to compare here).

4) The monitor is supposed to go to sleep when a game is running? I've never seen this before, that's basically my issue. The monitor should never go to sleep while GZDoom is running.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

2) Actually, the font in 2 is from gzdoom.pk3, it's the fallback BigFont and is originally from Simplicity. The thing is, we will need a setup where it happens, as it stands I have no idea what might cause this, aside from not loading game_support.pk3 - but then you'd not be able to find the IWAD at all.

4) Didn't you say 'paused'? I assumed you mean hitting the Pause key.

Post by Guest »

2) Yea, I stole some electricity there, oops. The problem was that they looked so similar to one another that I didn't stop to think for one moment that it's NOT the same, just I just double-checked and they aren't the same after all, so false alarm here. And yet a problem still remains - why are the gzdoom.pk3 fonts used in the other menus then? Do the required fonts not exist in this IWAD (Shareware) version?

4) I did say I paused the game yes, I take it GZDoom allowing my monitor to go to sleep after pausing the game is a feature then, not a bug?

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”