[3.4!] FINAL DOOMER +

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
lwks

Re: [3.2!] FINAL DOOMER +

Post by lwks »

So is Doomguy just the Vanilla Weaponset all over again? Isn't that a wasted oportunity? When you download a Doom Mod it's because you want something other than the Vanilla Experience, but Doomguy's Set seems to be just that, same Vanilla Experience. You guys planning on doing something special with it?
Also, have you guys considered making Monsters Sets to go alongside the Weapon Sets too?
Toberone

Post by Toberone »

Thats not really the truth tho. the shotgun has 2 more pellets and more vertical spread, the chaingun does 8 damage and is more inaccurate, the rockets have a bit of inaccuracy and the bfg ball projectile does consistenly high damage instead of heavily inconsistent random damage. I believe the chainsaw is stronger too.
skdursh

Post by skdursh »

lwks wrote:So is Doomguy just the Vanilla Weaponset all over again? Isn't that a wasted oportunity? When you download a Doom Mod it's because you want something other than the Vanilla Experience, but Doomguy's Set seems to be just that, same Vanilla Experience. You guys planning on doing something special with it?
Also, have you guys considered making Monsters Sets to go alongside the Weapon Sets too?
That's kind of a really bizarre and pointless complaint to make considering how much content is in the mod besides the Doomguy set, which actually does have some gameplay differences from vanilla in terms of how much ammo and damage the guns do and how accurate they are. Maybe you should appreciate the fact that this mod even exists and how polished it is considering the fact that no one is paid to do this. They do it for the community and for the love of Doom, in light of that it's kind of ridiculous for you to be so petty.
lwks

Post by lwks »

skdursh wrote:That's kind of a really bizarre and pointless complaint to make considering how much content is in the mod besides the Doomguy set, which actually does have some gameplay differences from vanilla in terms of how much ammo and damage the guns do and how accurate they are. Maybe you should appreciate the fact that this mod even exists and how polished it is considering the fact that no one is paid to do this. They do it for the community and for the love of Doom, in light of that it's kind of ridiculous for you to be so petty.
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude, I'm just pointing something out and giving my opinion, there's an oportunity there and I think they could use it to make something interesting.
VGA

Post by VGA »

There are differences and it is balanced to the other sets. Also, it has smooth animations!!
I'mSorry
Operating System Version (Optional): Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

FINAL DOOMER+ GAME BREAKING BUGS.

Post by I'mSorry »

Alright, so I found some pretty game breaking bugs while playing with this MOD and I'm wondering if anyone has ran into them as well and if they know how to fix them.

BUG #1: The first bug happens when "keep weapons" is off. If the player picks up a weapon, be it a drop from an enemy or a pick up, and if the player dies, then the player can not pick up that same weapon type. The sound of a weapon being picked up plays but you don't have it in your inventory.
EXAMPLE: Player picks up a shotgun from a killed Shotgunner/pickup, if player dies then player can no longer pick up a shotgun BUT if player comes across another weapon (super shotgun, chaingun, plasma rifle, ETC.) then player may pick up said weapon but if player dies once more the picked up weapon may not be picked up again along like the other previous weapon thus only leaving you with the starting gun as your only means of attack and defence.

This bug is one of the main game breaking ones that affect me and the people I play with because we play with the "keep weapons" setting turned off, playing with it on seems a little too easy for our licking and takes away all the challenge of the game. The bug persists in a singleplayer or multiplayer game.

BUG #2: Guns do not carry from previous levels unless "keep weapons" is on. This also really breaks the game in general because of the obvious reason that weapons are supposed to carry on from previous levels. This issue is really annoying considering that you have to get every weapon once again when you start a new map from the previously exited map.The bug persists in a singleplayer or multiplayer game.

BUG #3: The last issue is another big annoyance as well. The setting "items respawn" does not work no matter if it's turned on or off. This issue also persists in a singleplayer or multiplayer game.

All these issues break both the singleplayer and multiplayer experience and makes everything unpleasant to play.

I have searched far and wide for an answer or if anyone else has had the same issues as I have but to no avail. I have also looked all over in the settings to see if there were any options thinking that the bugs might actually be settings of some kind.
The bugs seem to revolve around the "keep weapons" setting mostly, apart from the "items respawn" issue. When "keep weapons" is on the guns carry over and obviously you don't lose the weapons when you die.

I use LZdoom instead of GZdoom because my laptop can't run GZdoom correctly, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. No other mod has ever given me issues or bugs so I doubt it's because I'm using LZdoom

These are my setting for starting the game for a little bit more context on what I use:
THIS IS RAN WITH A BATCH FILE
lzdoom -file wep\FinalDoomer_v3.2.pk3 +set dmflags 211894272 +set dmflags2 69207106 +set sv_jump 1 +set splashfactor 2.0 +set sv_cooplosearmor 1 +set sv_cooploseweapons 1 +set sv_weapondrop 1 +set sv_noweaponspawn 1 +set sv_cheats 1
Weapons don't drop but I think that might just be part of the mod and if its not then there's another bug.

Anyone else have these same issues?

EDIT: So I found what was causing the issues, and it's something that can't be fixed by anyone other than by the dev of FINAL DOOMER.
I managed to get GZdoom 2.1.1 working on my laptop after searching for a bit for a fix so I could actually run it, I found out that 2.1.1 does not support singleplayer respawn. FINAL DOOMER was designed around 2.1.1, a source port without the ability to use sv_singleplayerrespwn, so if you run FINAL DOOMER in a newer version of GZ/LZDOOM with the ability to use sv_singleplayerrespwn, then it glitches up once you respawn and FINAL DOOMER doesn't know what to do thus leading to these errors.
So it's mainly the fact that this SV isn't supported(maybe others as well...) why FINAL DOOMER glitches on other source ports with the respawn turned on.
I don't know if anyone will give 2 Sh*ts about these issues and if anyone will want to get it fixed, everyone seems pretty happy with it and it's still a great mod regardless of these issues with the newer source ports. Just bums me out that I can't use my setting how my friends and I like them with this mod.

Here's an image of GZ 2.1.1 saying that sv_singleplayerrespwn is not recognized as a command.

https://ibb.co/kmsx3YJ
Last edited by I'mSorry on Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

final doomer is meant for singleplayer not multiplayer so dont use gameplay options
boogaooga

Post by boogaooga »

Will this work for GZDoom 3.7.2 64x?
Maggle

Post by Maggle »

That's the version I use. So, yeah.
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

Couple of bugs related to pickup messages I've noticed:
-Backpacks don't have a pickup message.
-When playing as TNTGuy, small separate BFG ammo pickups use the large BFG ammo pickup message ("You picked up a Heavy Eradicator Cell" instead of "You picked up an Eradicator Cell").
killbotvii

Post by killbotvii »

Picking up shotgun shells displays the message of picking them up but doesn't add them to your ammo count. All other ways of gaining shells still work.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

I'mSorry wrote:BUG #1: The first bug happens when "keep weapons" is off.
Yeah, the entire weapon system was made in a way that would not work with that.
I'mSorry wrote:BUG #2: Guns do not carry from previous levels unless "keep weapons" is on. This also really breaks the game in general because of the obvious reason that weapons are supposed to carry on from previous levels. This issue is really annoying considering that you have to get every weapon once again when you start a new map from the previously exited map.The bug persists in a singleplayer or multiplayer game.
That doesn't sound like it has anything to do with Final Doomer.
I'mSorry wrote:BUG #3: The last issue is another big annoyance as well. The setting "items respawn" does not work no matter if it's turned on or off. This issue also persists in a singleplayer or multiplayer game.
I'll look into it, but I doubt I can do anything about it.
I'mSorry wrote:EDIT: So I found what was causing the issues, and it's something that can't be fixed by anyone other than by the dev of FINAL DOOMER.
Yeah, that's not happening, sorry.

I'm sorry you're having so many issues with this, but this was designed for most general playstyles, and I can't account for absolutely everything players might decide to do with it. I already run myself ragged trying to add no mouselook autoaim to railguns and adding ammo pickup sliders to items and pistol ammo useage/reload useage options and all kinds of things.
Gorec wrote:final doomer is meant for singleplayer not multiplayer so dont use gameplay options
Not true at all, I mainly test it in multiplayer after all. Please don't spread falsehoods.
killbotvii wrote:Picking up shotgun shells displays the message of picking them up but doesn't add them to your ammo count. All other ways of gaining shells still work.
That's uhhh
This feels like something you've done wrong. Something as vital as shotgun ammo not working would be quite an obvious problem.
killbotvii

Post by killbotvii »

Yholl wrote: This feels like something you've done wrong. Something as vital as shotgun ammo not working would be quite an obvious problem.
Believe it or not, it was Demon Counterstrike causing that! No idea why that's touching ammo.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

killbotvii wrote:Believe it or not, it was Demon Counterstrike causing that! No idea why that's touching ammo.
Hahaha, that's super strange! Glad you found the cause though.
ToxicMasculinity
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ToxicMasculinity »

Would you be willing to change the weapon behaviors so that when you try to fire a weapon that is completely out of ammo, it will automatically switch to the next available weapon? It's nothing major, but screws me up sometimes during fights. I think it would also just make the gameplay more smooth/fluid, but if you disagree, to each his own. Sorry if this has been asked already too, but reading through 64 pages of text to check first is a lot slower than me just asking you, and you saying yes, no, or fuck off.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”