Re: (wip) Ashes 2063 TC - THREAD EVACUATION

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
RTheM

Re: Re: Ashes 2063 TC - Thread migration soon.

Post by RTheM »

Vostyok wrote:Ack, sorry. All four of us have been pretty busy on/off real life, with one team member currently away (possibly for a long time), and the others battling with other commitments. I'm actually away from my computer and have been for a few weeks, but I'll be putting up some new screens and news soon. We're very excited to show off what we've been doing, but it still needs a few more things polished.
Glad to hear that, especially as I'm currently replaying Ashes again after getting hit by the desire to do so. :) Nothing bug-fix worthy to be found, but on second glance you've missed a bit of a storytelling opportunity in MAP05: The Sub-Caverns with the old guy at the start, Brygo, and Bishop, the dead scavenger with the map. After finding out what happened to Bishop, being able to tell Brygo that he's dead. The old man probably wouldn't care, as he seems to be an ornery little cuss, but still. :tongue:

EDIT (08.10.2019): Correction, possibly minor bug found in the Sub-Caverns. The mutant cannibals in the place where they ambush a bunch of fleeing gangers, are deaf. If you're lucky, you can sneak up on each of them and kill them one by one with anything from the crowbar to a shotgun to the loud as hell pipebomb.

EDIT (09.10.2019): Noticed a pair of missing textures in The City, near the very end. Added to the bug screenshot album.

The back of the guardrails for the stairs leading up to the radio room are missing textures.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Thanks, buddy. I'll keep those in mind. I am going to fix a lot of these as well as do a big update to episode one in general, hopefully just before or after the release of episode 2. As for Bishop's story, I was originally going to have Brygo get attacked and possibly killed by the fiends that get out, but as you've probably noticed most of the NPCs are lacking frames for anything, so this never came to pass. I should probably have added a bit more dialogue to that section, but it was a last minute thing. I'll probably rethink that whole section as it is a bit... I don't know... awful?

I suppose I better get to giving a better idea of what I've been doing with the last few months, as well as a plan for the next episode and subsequent releases. I'm not quite ready to release any more screens or videos, but I can give an idea of what my plans are, as well as where we are now.

The following features are planned for episode 2:
Spoiler:
Now, big question to everyone following. What are you hoping for? Yes, this is my project and I''ll do whatever I damn well please, yadda yadda. But I genuinely do welcome all the suggestions and criticism I've received throughout. At the moment, we're settling on an 18 map double-episode to fit in everything I want to include. Can you guys wait that long? Will world war 3? I'm working as fast as I can but it's pretty chaotic this year.

Anyway, enough crap. I'll put up something eye-candy or video related when I've cleaned up all the mess I've made.

Laters.
gennoveus

Post by gennoveus »

Vostyok wrote:Now, big question to everyone following. What are you hoping for? Yes, this is my project and I''ll do whatever I damn well please, yadda yadda. But I genuinely do welcome all the suggestions and criticism I've received throughout. At the moment, we're settling on an 18 map double-episode to fit in everything I want to include. Can you guys wait that long? Will world war 3? I'm working as fast as I can but it's pretty chaotic this year.
The master has spoken!! First of all thank you very much for your work on Ashes 2063, which was by far my favourite game of the year. Better than anything triple A, better than Ion Fury, even! (and I really enjoyed ion Fury)

18 maps!!!??? That's amazing! By "double episode", do you mean the 18 maps will be released as two separate episodes? Or the one episode is as long as two regular episodes?

As for what I am personally hoping for - I really like the more built up city areas. Exploring abandoned buildings, especially in a dense urban setting, is so much fun. I'm a sucker for any setting that has recognisable every-day elements. Temple of the Dollar was also great in that regard. Run down and war torn libraries, apartment buildings, gyms, restaurants, churches, stadiums, schools, town halls, police stations, hospitals, etc.

I personally can wait as long as it takes to complete. I understand that good things take time and Ashes 2063 is so very very good! Thank you again for making Ashes 2063!
RTheM

Post by RTheM »

Vostyok wrote:Now, big question to everyone following. What are you hoping for? Yes, this is my project and I''ll do whatever I damn well please, yadda yadda. But I genuinely do welcome all the suggestions and criticism I've received throughout. At the moment, we're settling on an 18 map double-episode to fit in everything I want to include. Can you guys wait that long? Will world war 3? I'm working as fast as I can but it's pretty chaotic this year.
Much like gennoveus says, I'd also love to see more everyday environs. Towns, cities, specific buildings, etc. And then carpet them in bodies of my enemies and piles of shells, spent lead, scorch and blast marks. If there's one criticism I'd have to levy on Ashes, it's that even with a slightly ammo conservative playstyle, by the time you reach the end of the episode, you are pretty much bound to be loaded down with enough firepower to kill the boss, make a gun-crater grave and tombstone for it, and then collapse the bunker yourself for shiny shits and chrome giggles. It is a similar issue with ReformedJoe's Dead Man Walking

I want more stuff to kill! :P Though not in slaughtermap like style. I like the concept but it never really clicked with me.

That and some more semi-surreal quasi-horror based maps like the sections with the banshees in Sub-Caverns, or the Lunch Lady banshees in Damage Control. Speaking of which, Damage Control was woefully short in comparison. Admittedly, when you're working with a bunker, there's some size constraints, but I had hoped to have explored a bit more that just that. And again, the blood thirst in me isn't quenchable by just twenty eight enemies when leading up to this I as Scavenger, have pretty much depopulated in total a small town's worth of gangers, mutant cannibals and lizard dogs.

Suggestion wise, I'm pretty much spent after that Demon Core or the Lizard Land Thunderdome. Though there this little idea concerning weapon mods, now that you've mentioned them. Modifying the Master Blaster to be able to pneumatically fire pipebombs further like a kitbash wastelander grenade launcher at the cost of being able to launch fireballs, but being able to fire the flamethrower blasts further. There are barely any mods that I know of that have dual/multi-type weapons.

As for waiting, I'll be honest, I don't mind waiting as however long as it might take. You can't rush greatness. :)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

I really love your enthusiasm working for this TC and i absolutely can't wait for the next episode. Tho i think the TC itself is pretty fine as it is, but here are some suggestions of mine;
Spoiler:
And that's about it. Godspeed, my good friend! You're doing really great.
Dynamo

Re: Ashes 2063 TC - Thread migration soon.

Post by Dynamo »

My suggestion personally would be to add a few more tougher enemies that fit the theme. Specifically for the secret level in episode 1, I wish you had some sort of chaingunner equivalent, to act as a tougher hitscan variant to go alongside the fairly easy to dispose of pistol and shotgun enemies. Looking forward to the rest of the changes, I have no other real suggestions I can think of right now.
Pachira

Post by Pachira »

Something I thought might be cool would be to have a powerful/cool weapon that you have to get pieces to assemble it from secrets, merchants, and/or boss fights.

It could be some sort of power weapon or it could just be an assault rifle that you have to find parts to repair.

Get that scav feeling going by scavenging up stuff to make a nice weapon.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Vostyok wrote: :!: Better NPC interaction. I'm looking at using a new system for dialogue, but the mechanics remain to be tested. Overall, expect more unique characters and better conversations. Also, you CAN kill everyone, if you want. Or not speak to literally anyone. The story is designed so that the minimum interaction is needed to progress. If you want to play the scavver as a mistrustful loner or a psycho, go right ahead. Just don't expect a friendly welcome in some places...
Ha, I always play a goody-two-shoes whenever games let me choose. So, wishlist item: If you make scripted events like monsters bursting out and killing an NPCs, like discussed for that Brygo scene, give us a fair chance of intercepting the monsters and saving the NPCs.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Thank you for all the replies and suggestions. It helps to get a feel for what people would like to see regarding atmosphere and playstyle. We must be thinking upon similar lines, as many of these ideas are already in the design document in one form or another. But there quite a few things I didn't think of or sound interesting. I hope I can still spring a few surprises on you guys, however. :D

There are a couple of points I feel I should respond to.

Responding to Dynamo and RtheM:
First of all, enemy strength and variety is something I'm spending key attention on. I'll be playing with the new bestiary in a similar way that Doom 2 brought to the original game. Dynamic and challenging enemies are something I've been making a priority- expect most of the new monsters to give you a challenge, even a few of the new human enemies.

Responding to Gez and Cap; I've never been a fan of forced cutscenes or scripted set-pieces. There is one point in the episode where things happen that are unavoidable in order to advance the storyline, but it will make sense in practice. But you will still have a lot of control over the storyline and what happens. The story writer has been very precise about this. But I want other characters you'll meet to be just as dynamic and driven as the character is, so don't expect any cheap deaths or forced outcomes. I am making NPC's more dynamic in the event you do attack them. And we have an idea in place for players who DO like to make trouble...

Side quests are a thing. We hope to add some more to do to help your fellow man, as well as more importantly GET MONEY, GET PAID. Finding rare items that in particular are highly valued by certain characters as well. Special rewards are available to those who look hard and respond to NPC's in the correct manner as well.

Responding to Gennoveus; it's hopefully going to be a double episode of 16-18 maps, but I'll see what I can do. There is a point where we can realistically cut it in the middle, but I would rather not.

Responding to Pachira: I already got you covered ;)

Anyway, enough of promises with nothing to show for it. I'm working on finishing the bit I'm working on, then expect some new shots or videos.
gennoveus

Post by gennoveus »

Vostyok wrote:Responding to Gennoveus; it's hopefully going to be a double episode of 16-18 maps, but I'll see what I can do. There is a point where we can realistically cut it in the middle, but I would rather not.

Anyway, enough of promises with nothing to show for it. I'm working on finishing the bit I'm working on, then expect some new shots or videos.
Thank you; that sounds amazing! I can never, ever get enough Ashes 2063. My wife and I are super looking forward to it like crazy. I believe you know her! According to her you visited her stream on twitch and have chatted with her a few times (Japanglish).
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Haha oh wow, I didn't know that! Haha yeah, I was watching her Jedi Knight stream. She didn't know who I was at first as I didn't say so. That's awesome. Yeah, I really enjoyed watching her playthrough of episode one (I was hoping the mancubus trick would get her too but she went the other route :D) I was thinking of putting a shout out to you guys in ep2. I hope you don't mind. ;)
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Vostyok wrote:Responding to Gez and Cap; I've never been a fan of forced cutscenes or scripted set-pieces. There is one point in the episode where things happen that are unavoidable in order to advance the storyline, but it will make sense in practice. But you will still have a lot of control over the storyline and what happens. The story writer has been very precise about this. But I want other characters you'll meet to be just as dynamic and driven as the character is, so don't expect any cheap deaths or forced outcomes.
👍👍 I absolutely agree with this, making railroaded gameplay and setpieces is generally a not ideal way of going about things as ultimately it removes player interaction, I definitely appreciate your philosophy when it comes to this and encourage others to follow it as well. Looking forward to the updates :D
gennoveus

Post by gennoveus »

Vostyok wrote:I was thinking of putting a shout out to you guys in ep2. I hope you don't mind. ;)
Mind!? What an honour! She'll go crazy when I tell her! EDIT: Please check your PMs
gennoveus

Post by gennoveus »

Hullo!

Was playing through again, and noticed this. You can get the yellow key through the window on The Boneyard if you jump on the truck here from the sandbags and onto the roof. If the player gets the key this way, they might miss out on an important story element. Not sure if it's major enough to 'fix' or not but thought I'd let you know just in case.

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/dwoeFZJ[/imgur]

Thanks again!
q3cpma

Post by q3cpma »

Hello, I'm posting to say that I'm amazed by the quality of the gameplay there is in this mod. The scavenging, attention to detail and combat are very good to say the least. The only possible improvement I can see that's not just "moar please" (for now; I just started playing) would be a way to reward precision shooting: some kind of variable damage based on area hit (head, torso, limbs). This would go great with harder difficulties and their scarcer ammo too.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”