Shades of Doom v4.1 (07-09-23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Re: Shades of Doom v2.0 - The Spice of Life (03/11/19)

Post by Cyanide »

So... I found an error in the QC:DE patch. It's been fixed and reuploaded now. Works with QC:DE v2.2.

I'm on the fence as to releasing a guide on how to remove monsters from Shades of Doom, since if such a thing is available, I'll have no way of knowing if people report bugs after they've messed around with the code. On the other hand, I'd like for people to be able to customize the mod to their specific needs. The best solution would of course be an options menu, where all the monsters can be toggled on or off, but that's waaay beyond my abilities. :(

On another note, I've tried and failed to implement a kill counter for all the monsters. I can't seem to find a way to display a CVAR in the options. If anyone has an idea for a solution, please PM me!
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

I say just make a guide. If someone reports a bug, but you can't replicate it, then you know it's just on their end
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

So it's been a while, and I've finally gotten the time to make a guide to remove monsters from the line-up. It get's kinda complicated depending on which enemy type you wan't to remove, so be warned.
Spoiler: Guide
If this doesn't work please notify me.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Cyanide wrote:So it's been a while, and I've finally gotten the time to make a guide to remove monsters from the line-up. It get's kinda complicated depending on which enemy type you wan't to remove, so be warned.
Spoiler: Guide
If this doesn't work please notify me.
Thank you, man! I'll give this a try tomorrow
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Cyanide wrote: I would also highly recommend trying out Champions by Mikk- with this mod.
Also, if you want buckets of blood, check out Nashgore VE by Nash. It respects the blood color of all the monsters in Shades of Doom and is customizable.
I'd like to suggest two more addons to this list:

Boom Power Reborn - make every monster explode on death, for maximum ridiculous action. Universally compatible with any monsters.
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=64939

Lud's Universal Gibs - highly satisfying and feature rich customizable gore/blood/gib addon that I personally think deserves more attention. Its really good. This addon is also universally compatible with any monsters and even others addons, including Boom Power, Nashgore and Champions. It too respects blood color and offers different settings not found in other gibbing addons.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=59260
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Spaceman333 wrote:I'd like to suggest two more addons to this list:

Boom Power Reborn - make every monster explode on death, for maximum ridiculous action. Universally compatible with any monsters.
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=64939

Lud's Universal Gibs - highly satisfying and feature rich customizable gore/blood/gib addon that I personally think deserves more attention. Its really good. This addon is also universally compatible with any monsters and even others addons, including Boom Power, Nashgore and Champions. It too respects blood color and offers different settings not found in other gibbing addons.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=59260
I'll have to test these out later today before adding them to the OP. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

EDIT: OP has been updated with Spaceman333 suggestions and some other add-ons / mods I usually put in my load order.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Quick update. :)

I've been taking a break from developing this mod for a little while. In that time I've come to the conclusion, that this mod actually needs a way for the player to pick which monsters spawn. This is being coded right now. After changing all variables to CVARs this is easy to add.

Another thing I've been thinking of for a long time is a tally counter. I want to know how many Snake Imps I've killed in total, on the level I'm playing AND throughout the WAD I'm playing AND throughout playing this mod in total. This has posed quite a problem for me (my coding skills could be better...) which has led me to request coding help here on the forums. I'm mentioning it here, as it's relevant to the development of this mod.

Edit: I've gotten this to work in the console. While not aesthetically pleasing, it does the job, though an interactive UI or a PDA sort of thing would be way cooler.

If any of you guys have any suggestions or ideas for these 2 things, please let me know! Other suggestions and bug reports are, as always, welcome!

Thanks
- Cyanide
IDKrisis

Post by IDKrisis »

I've noticed an odd interaction between Shades of Doom and Nash's gore mod. Many monsters drop gibs when killed, but some of those gibs seem to have Doomguy's helmet attached to them. This is only visible when the gibs are spinning through the air, not when they've landed. This does not seem to happen if Nash's gore mod is used by itself.

This appears to happen with most of the larger monsters, such as Hell Knights, Arachnotrons, Mancubi and their equivalents. I have confirmed that this does not happen with Nash's gore mod by itself, even if you use excessive power to finish off one of the larger enemies.
DoomSoul

Post by DoomSoul »

This mod really needs an option to customize the roster. I hope you add it.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

DoomSoul wrote:This mod really needs an option to customize the roster. I hope you add it.
Well, I'm adding a monster selector. With that you can select which specific monster type you want to spawn.
Adding full customization of the roster is beyond my coding skills, though. I'm sorry to say that I won't be adding that.

Small update: Shades aint dead yet! I've redone all the audio stuff, and added some sounds myself. Perhaps I'll add more sounds down the line. Right now I'm adding more monsters to the mix.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Good to hear! I look forward to seeing what you do with this!
BradmanX
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by BradmanX »

Cyanide wrote:
DoomSoul wrote:This mod really needs an option to customize the roster. I hope you add it.
Well, I'm adding a monster selector. With that you can select which specific monster type you want to spawn.
Adding full customization of the roster is beyond my coding skills, though. I'm sorry to say that I won't be adding that.

Small update: Shades aint dead yet! I've redone all the audio stuff, and added some sounds myself. Perhaps I'll add more sounds down the line. Right now I'm adding more monsters to the mix.
Nice to hear the mod is still being worked on and that a monster selector is getting added.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Re: Shades of Doom v3.0 - Off the chart (02/02/20)

Post by Cyanide »

Hi guys!

New version is up. Download link and changelog in the OP.
Bug repports and suggestions are very welcome.

Hope you enjoy.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Downloaded and playing. Never getting tired.
Bodhisattva
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Bodhisattva »

Great job! I've found a little problem though. It seems that Shades of Doom somehow disables the compatibility between LegenDoom Lite and Champions, namely the "Dormant Legendary Champions" option, that makes all legendary enemies become champions after transforming. I don't remember having this issue with other monster randomizers.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”