Doom with Sprinkles [1.1]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
_mental_

Re: Doom with Sprinkles [1.0]

Post by _mental_ »

Beezle wrote:To be honest, I'm not 100% sure the settings were EXACTLY the same but I do remember playing this with a couple mapsets with Pixelation with the recommended 3.45 pixel count and Retro Shader on a few weeks back.
Such comparison of different GZDoom versions is pretty useless then. You should use the same .ini file with both releases in order to confirm that it’s broken in newer one.
Beezle

Post by Beezle »

_mental_ wrote:
Beezle wrote:To be honest, I'm not 100% sure the settings were EXACTLY the same but I do remember playing this with a couple mapsets with Pixelation with the recommended 3.45 pixel count and Retro Shader on a few weeks back.
Such comparison of different GZDoom versions is pretty useless then. You should use the same .ini file with both releases in order to confirm that it’s broken in newer one.
It would've been using the same .ini file. Since 4.0 first came out, I've just been downloading each new release and dragging and dropping the newer files over the old folder and overwriting the old ones.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Beezle wrote:It would've been using the same .ini file. Since 4.0 first came out, I've just been downloading each new release and dragging and dropping the newer files over the old folder and overwriting the old ones.
How can you be sure that no settings were changed since last time it worked?
Like I said, to confirm a regression you need to have two versions of GZDoom side by side which use copies of the same .ini file.
Beezle

Post by Beezle »

_mental_ wrote:
Beezle wrote:It would've been using the same .ini file. Since 4.0 first came out, I've just been downloading each new release and dragging and dropping the newer files over the old folder and overwriting the old ones.
How can you be sure that no settings were changed since last time it worked?
Like I said, to confirm a regression you need to have two versions of GZDoom side by side which use copies of the same .ini file.
I think you're on to something but can't figure out exactly what changed in the .ini settings. I downloaded 4.1.1 and it worked just fine with Pixelation and Retro Shader on,but when I swapped the .ini like you said, then the blurry lines covered the screen came right back. And posterization makes the screen go white.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Beezle wrote:I think you're on to something but can't figure out exactly what changed in the .ini settings. I downloaded 4.1.1 and it worked just fine with Pixelation and Retro Shader on,but when I swapped the .ini like you said, then the blurry lines covered the screen came right back. And posterization makes the screen go white.
The idea is to figure out what option (or set of options) led to a bug.
Beezle

Post by Beezle »

_mental_ wrote:
Beezle wrote:I think you're on to something but can't figure out exactly what changed in the .ini settings. I downloaded 4.1.1 and it worked just fine with Pixelation and Retro Shader on,but when I swapped the .ini like you said, then the blurry lines covered the screen came right back. And posterization makes the screen go white.
The idea is to figure out what option (or set of options) led to a bug.
I believe I figured out what caused the screen to look like that. Under Retro Shader, Pixelation, and Posterization there's a few sliders for Pixel Count, Posterization, Gamma, Aspect Y, and Aspect X. I don't know how, but sometime whenever I updated GZDoom, the sliders all got set to 0 and adjusting those can alter the screen significantly, either lines like I had posted, the screen goes white, or the game looks more pixelated. Thank you for your help in figuring this out _mental_, not sure how I missed the sliders being moved when they're just right under the damn Retro Shader.
MrJohnny

Re: Doom with Sprinkles [1.1]

Post by MrJohnny »

Sorry for the lack of updates. I took a long break from modding to work on school stuff and play lots of dark souls. Unfortunately, I won't be updating this anymore in the foreseeable future. I will begin pursuing a career very soon, so I want to put most of my focus into my education. However, I wanted to post this update before that time comes. You can find the changelog in the first post. Not many changes, just a bug fix (thanks Gifty!) and some other minor stuff. The biggest change is the removal of the BFG/plasma death effects, and assigning the BFG shock effect to the "BFGBall" actor instead of the "BFGExtra" actor. I did this for a couple of reasons. The first is because I felt these effects were a bit excessive, and the second is because the BFG effects can lead to some pretty large frame rate drops. I think this change is for the better. As always, let me know if you find any bugs! I'll still come back here every now and then to try and squash the ones that show up.

Post by Newbie »

I have registered an account to report a few bugs / inconsistencies:

Under the configuration menu of your modification, the "Strafe" and "Turn" options have an unmodifiable CVAR for the "Invert" option. It simply says "Unknown". This is running on the most recent GZDoom which is v4.2.1.

The "Weapon Recoil" feature is not balanced for Vanilla play as the recoil on the Super Shotgun gradually raises the player camera to face upwards.

The death animation for the Cacodemon is too fast compared to its Vanilla counterpart and it ends up looking like certain frames are missing.

The Revenant's missiles have had their fiery trail removed, however, the brightmaps for their projectile remains and is unsightly.

[Edit]: Using the Plasma Rifle in a wide and open space (The courtyard of E1M1 as a reference) results in a generous lag spike when you follow the volley (3 seconds worth) of continuous plasma projectiles land on a textured flat. I have tried to replicate this effect using the Bestiary and haven't been successful, thankfully.

The following are my personal suggestions that would mesh well with the Vanilla+ style gameplay, disregard them at your will:

Add the option to turn off spent bullet and shell casings and also the option to have them not disappear.

Add the option to have the Chaingunner use DSPISTOL instead of DSSHOTGN. Unfortunately, you would have to modify the firing rate of the Chaingunner by 25% to accommodate the DSPISTOL sound replacement.

I hope you can come back and rectify these micro-issues one day, I have greatly enjoyed your modification.
MrJohnny

Post by MrJohnny »

Thank you for reporting. Feedback is always helpful since spotting bugs is not something I'm good at. I hope to come back to this one day and fix everything mentioned (and then some), and I will consider your requests as well. I cannot say for sure when I will come back to this though, as I am very busy at the moment. Doing lots of boring RL stuff. At any rate, thanks for playing!
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

sorry for bumping,wanted to play some vanilla mods to got back to yours and remembered that there was a bug with cacodemon(again duh)
its the same thing with blocking-if a cacodemon dies in a small room or narrow corridor with low ceiling(exit room in doom 2 map 1 for example) its corpse will block ur path but it does that only from one side so u can walk through it,u can crouch to avoid blocking but in some cases u cant
MrJohnny

Post by MrJohnny »

Thanks for reporting. As stated above, I do intend to come back to this at some point and fix bugs and add some stuff, but right now I'm a little preoccupied with RL stuff. There'll be an update at some point though, so keep your eyes peeled!
gabrielpf3

Post by gabrielpf3 »

Hello, I'm not sure if this mod is abandoned, and sorry if these kind of questions are annoying, but is there any plans to make this compatible with Smooth Doom? I feel like these two mods combined would make the game feel absolutely incredible.

Something else I'd like to ask is for an option to disable bullet ricochet sounds, it's pretty much the only thing I dislike about this mod.
MrJohnny

Post by MrJohnny »

I quickly removed the ricochet sounds from the version with brightmaps: https://www.mediafire.com/file/kvmwg3zhho7dg0k

As for the question about compatibility with smooth doom, I'm afraid that won't be happening anytime soon (if at all); mostly because I'm busy with school and IRL stuff. I actually thought about combining the two, but there weren't any smooth animations available for some of the custom sprites I am using. I just didn't want it to be inconsistent. But who knows, maybe I'll get around to it some day. In any case, thanks for playing!
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

God, how I do love this mod.
gabrielpf3

Post by gabrielpf3 »

Thank you for the quick response! That's perfectly understandable, I know these things take a lot of work and sometimes we just have other priorities.
At any rate, thanks for the edited version of the mod, works like a charm.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”