The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by wildweasel »

Darkcrafter wrote:Doom Eternal launch gets postponed to March 20 2020.
source?
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

https://twitter.com/DOOM/status/1181569967562612736

as a consolation prize, anyone who has pre-ordered the game gets a free copy of the upcoming re-release of Doom 64, which releases the same day as DE.
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

I don't mind the delay, really. I'd rather have everything working and polished on release, though the extra features don't really interest me as much.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darkcrafter »

The game is good if not one but HUGE but for me: both doom 2016 and upcoming doom eternal as far as I can find out from the videos on the eternal, takes way too much brutality in there. It's so much of it that it looks incredibly stupid and ridiculuous. Even Doom 3 that I'm not a huge fan of has more doom to it. Is it just me? Why these guys claim it's a game that preserves original 1993-1994 spirit while it's not and feels like an absolutely different game, world of difference starting with style of graphics, mad djent (nooo it's not metal too), weapons are all different, monsters are incredibly mad too and there is no more monster placement, just spawns in certain areas of a map. It's also that "demon presence, lockdown in effect" pace that doesn't really look like a doom game picture. Not a loss for me at all.

I once had a quick conversation with my class mate when doom 2016 came out and his idea was that if now technology allows for new tricks, then it's absolutely necessary to bring them up. I'm not sure how they map the levels now, maybe they just stick ready prefabricated 3d modeled assets together making it look like a coridor, maybe they have a tool that automatize the routine. Imagine if you draw a line and just tell the software this line represents a tech base corridor, add some random variation in there and voila. Maybe this is the reason they can't come up with anything even remotely resembling old mapping like we have it old games. What is even worse what if they stack all these assets up manually, but here is why concept art is there. I think there is some sort of such chain:

concept art-> rough concept map consisting of blocky stuff-> 3d assets modeling and texturing -> detailazation process (mapping again) then it goes back to their director to get feedback from other professionals, then getting finally aproved to be in the game.

Somehow quality depends on their resource managment, there is not a much of room for mistakes anymore as you have to pay developers, artists and mappers more every time they redo or revisit a map and then quality goes a bit down so the same assets get used repetively where they weren't supposed to be initially. And here is where this brutal thing comes out, it distracts from it. For sure it's just my opinion and I don't know a much about making video games.
TheLightBad96
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.

Post by TheLightBad96 »

Hey guys, Light here. It's been quite a long time since I posted on the forum. I've been quite absent for a while now mainly due to personal IRL stuff that I'd rather not delve into due to the nature of this thread, It just wouldn't feel right airing my personal problems out on a public forum. I do also apologize for derailing any conversations.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this so If any moderator were to find any issue with the placement of this then by all means point me in the right direction.

About the video and mod.
During my long absence I've been lately learning my way around actually modding for doom, first it was graphical tweaks and minor decorate editing and then it took off from there, About a year or so back I've made what was a personalized custom version of the mod Ultra Crispy which was just going to be another boring re-skin that I'd keep to myself but well a bit more tweaking of code here and there and well I made something that I thought was worth sharing, Figuring that it would be best to seek permission to release it I contacted the Author over Discord and he allowed it, However it didn't stop there I learned how to make my own rips of stuff and then making new stuff for the mod and over the past 12 or so months I've been tweaking it and making additions to it.

I have released the mod and updated it on my YT channel where I still upload gameplay videos but to be directly honest I've been a little scared to release it on here, not due to credit issues as I've seen over the course of my time here people get rightfully chewed out for stealing stuff but due to the fact that I really do not know how people are going to take it due to the nature of the mod since its not only a mod based on another mod using it as a base but due to stuff like playing as an anthropomorphic "Furry" character who uses one liners "in a chipmunked voice recorded by myself using a crappy mic" like a Build Engine protagonist. I caught some flak in regards to the furry thing in the past on some other site involving the usual insults and In turn I am a bit cautious in regards to releasing anything furry related.

To clear up some things
As for stuff like voices and quotes I've made a Silent Protagonist version, Despite in the video it shows the use of monsters from BD it will not work with BD but it's compatible with a few monster mods and the insult "feature" is a useless gimmick made because I wanted to flip off demons and is optional.

TLDR - Sorry for being gone for so long, I finally made a mod, I'm nervous as hell and despite the display of BD elements it's not a BD mod. Also I do apologize for the very long post.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i just released a new hardcore track:

Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

TheLightBad96 wrote:Hey guys, Light here. It's been quite a long time since I posted on the forum. I've been quite absent for a while now mainly due to personal IRL stuff that I'd rather not delve into due to the nature of this thread, It just wouldn't feel right airing my personal problems out on a public forum. I do also apologize for derailing any conversations.
Looks very promising, aesthetic and detailed. I love them weapons' smooth animations and the sound effect!
TheLightBad96
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.

Post by TheLightBad96 »

@Captain J Thanks, It's been quite a learning experience with making the mod. Mostly Trial and error or balancing things so weapons are not OP. Hopefully it would be well worth it in the end.

The credits list is gonna be quite huge though since most of the Weapon Sprites, Pickups and Audio isn't mine, I'd rather stay safe than be sorry.
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by irontusk341 »

just bought a new laptop fan since my other one kinda whined out....
sirudoom

Post by sirudoom »

cleaning my place and making my setup better. its good enough until I move.

Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darkcrafter »

This song has some vibe of the one used on Map 20 Doom2, but it was released in 1995, what can you say about that?

White Zombie - More Human Than Human: https://youtu.be/E0E0ynyIUsg
sirudoom

Post by sirudoom »

^ rob zombie just came out with a new movie called 3 from hell. it got good reviews, I might watch it. hes a cool guy.
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

I have pioneered a revolutionary new way to do transparent 3D slopes! Nobody has ever thought of this before!
Nash

Post by Nash »

abbuw wrote:I have pioneered a revolutionary new way to do transparent 3D slopes! Nobody has ever thought of this before!
My FPS counter:

SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

sirudoom wrote:^ rob zombie just came out with a new movie called 3 from hell. it got good reviews, I might watch it. hes a cool guy.
Rob Zombie is actually kind of a dick in real life. He completely screwed over my cousin, who is an art director in California. Believe it or not, my cousin was a major part of the first movie's logo design, and the art direction of the movie to some degree. Rob Zombie refused to credit him at all. My cousin was going to sue the shit out of him, but he said "I'm a no name art director taking law suit against Rob Zombie. Plus, he did pay me for my work, and I want to continue getting work in Hollywood, so I'm just going to let it go."

That said, Rob is a pretty talented guy.

Return to “Off-Topic”