Yet another Attack from Hell [Updated 31/10/19] [WIP]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NexTheReal

Yet another Attack from Hell [Updated 31/10/19] [WIP]

Post by NexTheReal »

Yet another Attack from Hell

2 years ago I posted my horrible mod on this forum, today I'm back to annouce my newest project after finally understanding how to properly make maps. For the people who played my old map, Im terribly sorry.

SUMMARY

Doom: Yet another attack from Hell is GZDoom based campaign currently aiming to feature 9 levels (subject to change) with completely different environments. The levels will try to take advantage of scripting to make them play more interesting. All levels will be connected by a small story that is being told throughout the maps.

STORY

The story is as the title says, the typical plot about hell trying to destroy earth or something - you know it. The only twist will be how exactly this plays out and where the player will travel through to stop hell from taking over the earth.

Just a generic story - go shoot some demons.

RELEASE PLAN
Since I'm always changing my release plan - when it's done its done. Don't expect anything soon after a release.

SCREENSHOTS
Spoiler:
CREDITS
Sergeant_Mark_IV - Allowing me to use Extermination Day as a resource for my maps and also letting me use some of his textures from Brutaldoom
NerdKoopa - Voxel Model Resource
KDiZD Team, Mancubus - Stalagmite Sprites and Decorations
Ghastly_dragon, Tormentor667 - Rain Simple
Davester2296Covers - Into Sandy's City Cover
DrDoctor, Grymmoire,Dusk - Textures
ryrod88 - Trees
Tormentor667, zrrion the insect - Fog Effect Sprites, Decorate
3D Realms - Sprites, Textures, Sounds etc.
Monolith - Sprites, Textures, Sounds etc.
ID Software - Doom 2016 Soundtrack, Quake 2 Soundtrack, Doom 3 Sounds
Nash - Free camera mod to take my screenshots
Team TNT, Tormentor 667 - Textures, Sprites
Atari - Textures, Spries
Rebellion Developments - Texures, Sprites
Robert Prince - PSXDoom Soundtrack

SPECIAL THANKS

My Brother - Which keeps giving me ideas
Tainted - Playtesting, Feedback
SolidSnake11 - Playtesting, Feedback
Overseer - Feedback
Jisatsu-kun/func_spiral - Playtesting, Feedback, Helping

DOWNLOAD
Alpha 1.1: Includes 2 maps, the previously released map has recieved numerious improvements.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/yet-another- ... l-alpha-11
Last edited by NexTheReal on Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:33 am, edited 8 times in total.
Enjay

Re: Yet another Attack from Hell [1 Map released] [WIP]

Post by Enjay »

Fixed those screenshot links for you. ;)

Looks very nice. Can't try it right now, but I will. :yup:
NexTheReal

Post by NexTheReal »

Enjay wrote:Fixed those screenshot links for you. ;)

Looks very nice. Can't try it right now, but I will. :yup:
Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.
And thanks again for those kind words, please let me know what you think once you played the map
Zan

Post by Zan »

Looks very promising, will give it a try when I can!
Vista_Owner

Post by Vista_Owner »

Does it need Brutal Doom itself? Asking just to be sure
NexTheReal

Post by NexTheReal »

Zan wrote:Looks very promising, will give it a try when I can!
Fingers crossed you will like it!
Vista_Owner wrote:Does it need Brutal Doom itself? Asking just to be sure
Nope, not required.
pouljo
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by pouljo »

Beautiful. I love it
NexTheReal

Post by NexTheReal »

pouljo wrote:Beautiful. I love it
I'm glad you like it!

I have a litte update regarding the mod, since the release of the first alpha I have been working on the levels leading up to the map featured in the release. Heres a little snippet of the intro level. Besides the story sequences the player can interact with the npcs and explore the space station before departing onto the next map.
Kills_Alone

Post by Kills_Alone »

I gotta say this is amazing an level of detail, well placed secrets, and locations are on point. The different environments help drive the player forward, I got a few hints of The Dark Tower series. The ammo is very sparse yet seems well tested. After the fight with the Knights on the church bridge I had one bullet remaining. Later I went back and found the underwater secret that is ammo right next to the crash site.

It would be cool if the broken mirror (clock room) was two way so you can see through from the back (perhaps now there are enemy Imps waiting for you but when you return they are gone, then you encounter the Imps down stairs) or have a peak hole in the hall that leads to it. These buildings reminded me of the Evil Dead.

I really liked the lost soul coming outta the grave. Didn't like not being able to go into the water on the first outside section after sleeping. I didn't take any damage so perhaps the very first section (on the spaceship) should not end until the player loses some health.

My only negative criticism is the first attack makes it really hard to avoid taking damage without dropping down below (probably on purpose). And I'm not a big fan of fall damage/instant kill (especially from such a short distance) or invisible walls but I see why you used them. The part at the end section when you teleport there, I'd suggest a fence or shrubbery to go along with the invisible wall. Oh and maybe the extra (disabled) enemies should not be part of the kill count. BTW I found 5/6 secrets.

This map makes great use of the Extermination Day assets. You and your brother should be proud of what you've made so far, I cannot wait for more.

EDIT: And here is my playthrough, changed the music a little:
NexTheReal

Post by NexTheReal »

Kills_Alone wrote:I gotta say this is amazing an level of detail, well placed secrets, and locations are on point. The different environments help drive the player forward, I got a few hints of The Dark Tower series. The ammo is very sparse yet seems well tested. After the fight with the Knights on the church bridge I had one bullet remaining. Later I went back and found the underwater secret that is ammo right next to the crash site.
Thank you! Some of the ammo is a bit hidden.
I didn't take inspiration from Dark Tower directly but did take inspiration from Death Wish, a BLOOD mod (I absolutley urge everyone who didn't play the game or this mod to play it, youre missing out). I'm pretty sure the author of death wish has taken inspiration from the dark tower series.
Kills_Alone wrote:It would be cool if the broken mirror (clock room) was two way so you can see through from the back (perhaps now there are enemy Imps waiting for you but when you return they are gone, then you encounter the Imps down stairs) or have a peak hole in the hall that leads to it. These buildings reminded me of the Evil Dead.
I like these ideas, perhaps I will make one of them happen.
Kills_Alone wrote:I really liked the lost soul coming outta the grave. Didn't like not being able to go into the water on the first outside section after sleeping. I didn't take any damage so perhaps the very first section (on the spaceship) should not end until the player loses some health.
I thought about that but I don't wanna risk the player dying when they enter this map and have low health from the previous one. Getting hit on certain difficulties in for example Brutal Doom, would mean instant death.
Kills_Alone wrote:My only negative criticism is the first attack makes it really hard to avoid taking damage without dropping down below (probably on purpose). And I'm not a big fan of fall damage/instant kill (especially from such a short distance) or invisible walls but I see why you used them.
Might nerf that a bit. Before release I increased the enemy count greatly because I felt'd it's too easy.
Kills_Alone wrote:Oh and maybe the extra (disabled) enemies should not be part of the kill count. BTW I found 5/6 secrets.
Yeah, I already thought about that. It's gonna be different in the next release. As for the secret, heres a hint: Go back into the house.
Kills_Alone wrote:The part at the end section when you teleport there, I'd suggest a fence or shrubbery to go along with the invisible wall.
Good idea.
Kills_Alone wrote:This map makes great use of the Extermination Day assets. You and your brother should be proud of what you've made so far, I cannot wait for more.
Thanks again! Rest assured theres gonna be more, might just take a while. I'm a slow mapper hah
NexTheReal

Re: Yet another Attack from Hell [Updated 31/10/19] [WIP]

Post by NexTheReal »

Happy Halloween everyone!

I have decided that I will release an updated version in order to celebrate Halloween!
This new alpha features a completely new Titlescreen, numerous improvements in the previous map and a entirely new map.

Thanks everyone for giving me feedback, it has helped me in improving the mod. I hope that this new release adresses some complaints about the previous version, I'm sorry if I missed something!

This release also features a new map, this map was gonna be the very first map in this mod, however I execluded it from the current campaign because since the creation of this map my skills have improved quite a bit and my vision for this mod has changed. Please don't expect a map in the quality of the previous one but it should be a good one either way.

The download can be found over at ModDb: https://www.moddb.com/mods/yet-another- ... l-alpha-11
Kills_Alone

Post by Kills_Alone »

Pretty good changes, I liked the extra small rooms in the house with the clock and the extra small cave room with the opening overhead, also cool how that room can help lead you to the next area.

The house with the clock has a bug, if you use the wall in the room above the door you will activate the door. Perhaps you could place a bookshelf at this area in the upper room?

I think it would be more intimidating if that reaper character was behind the chalice as the picture in the background is covered up in that view.

Thanks to your previous tip I found the secret green armor.
NexTheReal

Post by NexTheReal »

Kills_Alone wrote:Pretty good changes, I liked the extra small rooms in the house with the clock and the extra small cave room with the opening overhead, also cool how that room can help lead you to the next area.

The house with the clock has a bug, if you use the wall in the room above the door you will activate the door. Perhaps you could place a bookshelf at this area in the upper room?

I think it would be more intimidating if that reaper character was behind the chalice as the picture in the background is covered up in that view.

Thanks to your previous tip I found the secret green armor.
Glad to you liked the changes, almost all changes have been based off feedback (including yours).
That's a weird bug, it shouldn't even happen. Thanks!

Not sure if I want to edit around in this map more, feeling pretty burned out on working on this map. I will consider it for the future.
Kills_Alone

Post by Kills_Alone »

MAP01B
Droober

Post by Droober »

The screen shots look so polished, good job

The 3rd screen shot gives me the "Temple of the lizard men 3" Vibes. Loving that maps aesthetic and i hope you make more similar to it.

Return to “Levels”