Hell-Forged (updated to v1.11 - development paused)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

How do you feel about the difficulty of Hell-Forged Maps on UV (Grandmaster)?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:26 am

Too Easy
9%
Somewhat Easy
4%
Just Right
22%
Somewhat Hard
52%
Too Hard
13%
Impossible
No votes

Total votes: 23

Amuscaria

Re: Hell-Forged - V. 1.00a (See Page 1)

Post by Amuscaria »

Thanks for the colormap! I will add it to the next 1.1 patch. I've not tested HF using 8-Bit software and have always assumed the port to generate its own colormap. I've only tested with the 32-Bit QZDoom software mode.

I have to admit I cant guarantee that the maps will work right in software, especially the last 2 that uses a lot of linked-portals.

Also papa Nurgle is the idea. ;)
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Woolie Wool »

So far (beginning of E1M6) they've looked perfect, but we'll see. I'm kind of surprised that you haven't tested this in 8-bit mode because all the assets are in native Doom formats with the associated palette limitations, which made me assume that the entire mod was designed with 8-bit color in mind. It certainly looks great, though I did end up having to turn on mouselook and the crosshair to fight effectively.

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/bkl63Xo[/imgur]
[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/SwiCiQW[/imgur]

Loving how everything is balanced, though ammo starvation becomes an issue at times--the more to encourage Tyson with the several available melee attacks, probably. Despite my poor Tyson game, I'm getting along pretty well on HMP. In general the mod seems to enforce a more high-risk playing style than vanilla Doom, and it succeeds--I rarely found myself corner-camping or pie-slicing except when kiting demons to turn them into ammo with the Bloodbane alt fire. I feel like the palette could use a softer blue, especially for e1m1's blue sky, which, like most blue skies in Doom, looks really harsh and ugly. Something more like Quake's blue, perhaps, but less violet so the sky can blend nicely into the clouds. Otherwise, everything looks fantastic, and the fully animated Doom 1-style intermission screen blew my mind when I saw it for the first time.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

I'll desaturated thr blues a bit to see how it looks. I do need the saturated blues for a later episode, but well see after some testing.

Map7 and 8 are the ones where i start using portals; Made those right after i found out linked portals were added to the newer Zdoom family of ports. Im definitely going to go back and add some much needed poryals to map 2s courtyard area eventually.

Mouse-look is required, or at least strongly recommended. Especially for the later maps wirh the increasing verticallity.

I stuck to 8-bit color only because im using vanilla doom assets. Everyone already knows im really anal about consistency. :p Definitely won't be using 8-bit in any future mods. It be nice if 9 or 10-bit color was possible. Will probably go the Doom 64 route with png formatting.
Woolie Wool
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Woolie Wool »

That's funny, that consistency is exactly why I play Doom, Wolf3D, and other retro FPS games in low-res/low-color. It just looks right and Hellforged translates well to 1993-O-Vision. You could try scripting a palette change, if that is possible. I certainly hope it is, because I remember being astonished at how vibrant Jazz Jackrabbit was back in 1994--because it changed palettes every few levels.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

@Added your colormap to v1.00a revision 3. Thanks again! :D I don't *think* scripting a Playpal change is possible? I've asked for that feature some years back and was told it's not doable. Not sure if that is still that case.
----------------------------------

Primary host is now at /idgames on Doomworld, since my university Box account will expire soon.

Get it here: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... i/hf-v100a
Gez

Post by Gez »

Someone once came with a patch (that was before Git and pull requests) for changing palettes between levels, then started to extend that to allow scripted palette changes during a level, and that's where it petered out and died without ever getting merged in.

IIRC, the main issues were regenerating the colormap and regenerating all the paletted textures each time the palettes are changed, since in-memory they're actually turned into full-color textures.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Well, definitely going Doom 64-style PNG for the next mod.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

After much thought and writing up the documentations for my next two mods, I've decided to postpone the second episode to Hell-Forged (as well as the 1.1 patch), and instead focus on it's sequel "Hell-Forged: City of the Damned" instead. This mod will be much more Hexen-inspired with multiple classes and some RPG-lite elements. Ultimately, it's meant to be the spiritual successor "Hellion", a anime-based Heretic mod that I started many years ago but ultimately went no-where. Lastly, this mod will force me to learn Z-Script and 3D model (instead of just making virtual clay monsters and posing them) then the second episode, which is more or less the same as the first, just with different monsters and textures.

The mod will take place immediately after the Hero/Heroine from Hell-Forged kills the Hellsmith and enters hell. Other heroes rise up to eliminate the corrupted king and his court that now rules much of the continent. Currently there is to be 4 classes, the Templar, Juggernaut, Assassin, and Battlemage. Each are designed to be as different as possible, and the maps will be designed so that each class will have unique paths not accessible to other classes that takes advantage of their strengths. Each class will have 5 weapons, 1 starting and 4 that uses ammo (there are exceptions). Each class will have a few active skills that you learn as you progress and explore the map. They level up as you use them, but it won't be a full skill-tree. Ultimately, the main focus is an fast-paced FPS game, not an RPG.

While I feel that Episode 2 is much easier to make, this will be more fun. But who knows, it ultimately depends on real-life circumstances. If time or finances becomes a constraint again, I'll go back to Episode 2. I have a couple months to really think this thru. Currently I'm working on weapons for Bridgerburner's The Age of Hell, mod. It Should give me some time to plan thinks out and see if my current skills are adequate to finish such an undertaking. The art-assets won't be too bad, but learning the Z-Script and 3D modeling with Blender will definitely be outside my comfort range.

For now, I will consider Hell-Forged complete. I'll be making a new thread for the sequel mod soon. :)
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

that sounds real interesting. good to push yourself with creative stuff...
however what does that mean for things you've done already like the wight and cadodemon?
will we have to wait for ep2 or can we expect a spritesheet in the near future or something?
I only ask as if you do decide to scrap e2 entirely it would be sad for those resources to go unused. would be good in an addon/mutator that could randomize them with monsters in ep1 or whatever...
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

I'll release the Wight when its done. I just need the death and xdeath states. Always get bored of spriting when I get to the death sequences. :P Will complete those when I finish working on the weapons for Age of Hell.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

thats good to hear. your talented work is a staple around the doom community. would be tragic to see such awesome work go unused but great to hear its not going to be!
as for the death anims, I hear you there! rotations start to seem easy once you've done more than half on a monster, so much of it can be reused elsewhere and in other frames on the monster but then the death anims are full slog to have to draw each frame from scratch!
working off of models is a dream when doing movement but a bastard for the death because of drawing on all the blood etc... and making it look more than just 'drawn over the top' and successfully integrated. you've always amazed with that stuff though... especially on this project which, if I may say is a doom masterpiece.
truly epic and has earnt its place in the doom legacy for eternity as far as I'm concerned... id software should cut you a check! LOL
m8f

Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

It may be too late to report bugs. Anyway:
Spoiler:
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

@M8f:

1. Firing a single shot from Basilisk doesn't consume ammo: potential infinite ammo. Holding fire does consume ammo, as expected.

Are you running version 1.00a. I'm not getting this issue with the most up-to-date version. Seems like a bug I fixed from the 0.9-ish stage.

2. Typo: H1F7 is called "Towers of Command" in mapinfo, and "Tower of Command" in TTLHF1M7 graphics.

Fixed. :)

Thanks for reporting. Will be updated in the next minor update for 1.1 patch.
m8f

Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

1. Yes, 1.00a. Just redownloaded from here: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... i/hf-v100a
I'm using GZDoom 4.2.3, if this matters.
Spoiler: Here is the video:
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

I'm not sure what could be causing it. here's the decorate code.

Code: Select all

Fire:
      BASG B 0 Bright A_JumpIfInventory("BasiliskCount",1,"Fire2")
	  BASG B 2 Bright 
	  {		
		A_GiveInventory("BasiliskCount",1);
		A_PlaySound("weapons/rocklf",4);
		A_GunFlash("Flash1");
		A_FireCustomMissile("BasiliskMissile",0,1,-18,0,FPF_NOAUTOAIM,0);
	  }
      BASG C 2 Bright A_FireCustomMissile("BasiliskMissile",random(-3,-1),0,-18,0,FPF_NOAUTOAIM,0)
      BASG D 2 Bright A_FireCustomMissile("BasiliskMissile",random(1,3),0,-18,0,FPF_NOAUTOAIM,0)
	  BASG B 2
	  goto Ready
   Fire2:
	  BASG E 2 Bright
	  {
	    A_TakeInventory("BasiliskCount",1);
		A_PlaySound("weapons/rocklf",4);
		A_GunFlash("Flash2");
		A_FireCustomMissile("BasiliskMissile",0,1,18,0,FPF_NOAUTOAIM,0);
	  }
      BASG F 2 Bright A_FireCustomMissile("BasiliskMissile",random(-3,-1),0,18,0,FPF_NOAUTOAIM,0)
      BASG G 2 Bright A_FireCustomMissile("BasiliskMissile",random(1,3),0,18,0,FPF_NOAUTOAIM,0)
	  BASG E 2
      goto Ready
both A_FireCustomMissile actions within the anonymous function as the UseAmmo flag set to 1.

I just tested it with GZD 4.2.3 and didn't have an issue. Did you make a modded version of the wad? It's using different sounds and has extra items from what I can tell.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”