D4D - v3 Alpha 8.8 Final (11/22/2020)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Credits mode (Again!?)

Keep as is
29%
Modify: Doom 2016-esque (see p. 49)
66%
Modify: Other (explain please)
No votes
Remove
5%

Total votes: 86

Twitchy2019

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 8.5 Released (11/8/2019)

Post by Twitchy2019 »

So is that Doom 64 pinkie replaced? Of all the things need replacing, if nothing else, this one is it.
MaxRideWizardLord

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 8.4 NEW POLL! p. 49

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Major Cooke wrote:You mean the crosshairs? You can turn those off in the D4D options menu. I always play with GZDoom's crosshair on personally. Also, all of them are aligned just fine. If you mean the Baron of Hell's, that's on purpose. It was set to the side because it's an indicator that he throws with the right hand.

As for the demon blood edges, I made them centered. They may still clip a little over the sides but at least its even now.
Yes crosshair, sorry for mistake! I've download your latest alpha and unfortunatelly, a lot of things are still out of place, especially the crosshair and red frameworks. Take a look:
Spoiler:
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Is there an add-on pack that reintroduces the voxel models? I like them better then the new models :)
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Had to push out another quick little update to fix armor pinatas not magnetizing correctly, along with the teleport fog not properly spawning. Redownload it if you want those.

@Twitchy: No. It won't come for a while. Right now I'm focused on adding the rest of the MP utilities and weapons first. Monster reworks will come much later. Furthermore, the developer of D4V contacted me and asked me to hold off attempting to use his sprites for now.

@MaxRideWizardLord: What resolution are you playing on?

@Cherno: No, and models override voxels. Furthermore, voxels are slower to render. I don't think addons will be possible to work with this. Sorry.
MaxRideWizardLord

Major Cooke wrote: @MaxRideWizardLord: What resolution are you playing on?
1280x1024, i.e. 5:4 LED LCD. I doubt there are other resolutions were made for 5:4 format.

Also, how do I activate Flame Belch? Looked in options and changelogs but no info. Would love to have infinite ammo flamethrower from beginning of game!
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

The same way you use Doom 2016's grenades. Flame belch is a "grenade" utility. You can switch to it like the grenades. Check your keybinds. I really need to rename them...

I'll take a look at the resolutions.
MaxRideWizardLord

Major Cooke wrote:The same way you use Doom 2016's grenades. Flame belch is a "grenade" utility. You can switch to it like the grenades. Check your keybinds. I really need to rename them...
Oh, I thought of something else then. Any chance to see some Doom Eternal features in this mod somewhat in future, though? :P A lot of features can be seen right now, and shoulder-mounted flamethrower with infinite ammo is one of them. :D
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

The mod will slowly but surely transition towards DE4D, yes. It will keep building upon itself, naturally. I'm gonna hold off changing the name until after Doom Eternal comes out though.
Deybar_TECH
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Deybar_TECH »

Hi.
I downloaded the (D4D-master) a long time ago and I want to ask if I can use
some of the codes (ZScript) of this game.
At the moment I only need the old function: (action Actor LockOn { })
but apparently there is a new and I will see it can be used (action bool, double CheckLockOn {Actor mo, Vector3 forw})
The credits will be for:

From (Doom4D-master.pk3: RocketLauncher.txt)
Sprites: Neccronixis
MuzzleFlash sprite edit: DBThanatos
Original Code: DBThanatos
Code rewrite + layer support: Major Cooke
Tweaks Offset: Xaser
MaxRideWizardLord

Mind if I ask a question regarding the weapon?

The BFG's ball's seeking lightning beams, how you done them? So far you're the only one person who manage to do it right. Most other weapons that have beams\traces emerging from a flying projectile only target a single enemy untill it dies and switches to another, but your ball seem to target everyone in it's effective radius at the same time, i.e. maximum reach of the lightning beams from the ball to enemy, and all of it's targets gets zzzaped to death.

People really would love to know how you done it, especially D3athStalker who's been looking for a way to turn his Tesla's balls to target and shoot all of the enemies that are in it's effective range.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Deybar: Yes, you can use the code, but you may find it's more involved than just D4D's code by itself.

MaxRideWizardLord: How much ZScript do you and your friend know? There is a lot to unpack here in terms of explanation.

Actually... How familiar are you with object oriented programming?

Do you know:
- what event handlers are and how to use some of their functions like WorldThingSpawned?
- how to use dynamic arrays?
MaxRideWizardLord

Major Cooke wrote:MaxRideWizardLord: How much ZScript do you and your friend know? There is a lot to unpack here in terms of explanation.

Actually... How familiar are you with object oriented programming?

Do you know:
- what event handlers are and how to use some of their functions like WorldThingSpawned?
- how to use dynamic arrays?
Unfortunately my knowledge of programming doesn't go anywhere higher than the basic of decorate and 9th grade of Qbasic study, well yeah... I was more curious about it as the D3athStalker was looking for a way to improve his lightning ball, but he's busy working on another project.

Didn't knew it would involve so much hardcore coding just to make one element of the game more immersive with bigger depth. :P
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Yeah, sadly, you somewhat have to build some of the systems yourself. These are more advanced concepts. D4D IS open source and you can use it if you want, just give credit where due. However you'll find it's quite harder to work with as this entire mod is ZScript-oriented. Not to mention the fact that some of the code needed is split between D4D and MC_Utility.
Deybar_TECH
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Deybar_TECH »

Major Cooke wrote:Deybar: Yes, you can use the code, but you may find it's more involved than just D4D's code by itself.

Thank you very much for the permission. :D :D
Maybe I'll use some special effects later.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

You don't need to ask permission to use anything from D4D, so long as you credit my name/mod inside the main readme/credits text file, along with all contributors as such if you use their materials. You'll also find credits where some of those special effects came from in D4D's readme too.

As for the code itself: the monster recording is all done in MC_Utility.pk3. I suggest you make an event handler and do recording of monsters in your mod like I did mine. The reason it's done this way is to avoid creating a thinker iterator which would be dreadfully slower. Yes, it will mean a bit more maintenance (see ZScript/MC/Base.txt inside MC_Utility), but it's by far more favorable than using an iterator.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”