Brutal Doom / Project Brutality effects

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Bodhisattva
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Brutal Doom / Project Brutality effects

Post by Bodhisattva »

So, I've recently noticed that Brutal Doom and Project Brutality have really nice glow applied to some objects like candles or those little stairs in the second screenshot. Mods like SBrightmaps, Brightmaps Plus or Subtle Lights don't have anything like that, so I'm kinda curious if there is a separate mod that allows using those pretty "brutal" effects with other weapon/enemy mods.
Spoiler:
MFG38
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Brutal Doom / Project Brutality effects

Post by MFG38 »

The closest potential equivalent I can think of is Beautiful Doom, and even then, I doubt the effects look exactly the same. But it's worth a look.

Disclaimer: I've never tried out Beautiful Doom. So do take what I say with a grain of salt.
Bodhisattva
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Bodhisattva »

Beautiful Doom
I tried it out right before seeing your reply :D
It does have nice animated candle flames, as well as torches, so it definitely can be used to make levels prettier if you delete the HUD and disable weapons/enemies options. Although, it still doesn't look as nice as what Project Brutality has, in my opinion.
Toberone

Post by Toberone »

I think complex doom does something like this too, maybe some other vanilla enhancement style mods as well.

if I remember correctly the way I've seen this done is that actors for candles/torches are spawning a colored orb sprite on a loop at a low transparency positioned around where the light source would be, resulting in a nice glow effect.

Return to “General”