(WIP) Quake 2 TC - DEMO RELEASED!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: (WIP) Quake 2 TC - DEMO RELEASED!

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Thanks a bunch for this stuff osjclatchford! Tomorrow I should be able to verify everything and consider to merge in our project :)

About the issues noticed by you: still didn't happen on my end the problem with grenades, should be a flaw on the code which shouldn't be difficult to fix, while instead water color will be something to change absolutely
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Yeah. Thanks Oz. The grenade issue is most likely an engine issue on my end as I can't run the latest gzdoom. So nevermind. As for the enemy flashes. It's far from perfect and needs work by more skilled hands than I if I'm honest. The grenade models for nade and hand nade should remain separate imho as it's not true to the q2 or q264 canon but if it's preferred then by all means use it!
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Before checking osjclatchford stuff, I have fixed and committed several changes on gitrepo, read commit comments for clues. Black boxes and dead bodies wre now destroyable btw :)
WallyTheBoogieBug

Post by WallyTheBoogieBug »

Try adding pixelratio = 1.0 to the defaultmap definition of your mod's MAPINFO file -- this'll make the pixel ratio square which is how games like Quake 2 render, as opposed to the tall pixel ratio of Doom. It should make the mod look even more convincingly like Quake 2.

Just keep in mind the scale of every model will have to be adjusted to be squashed back down to the new ratio, with MODELDEF this isn't very difficult. Just subtract .2 from the Z coordinate of every model definition's scale.
Tetzlaff

Post by Tetzlaff »

Could anyone re-upload the current mod version please? Both links are down.

I am a huge Quake 2 fan and this sounds really interesting.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

My only concern is just whether it's legal to release this, provided it gives you the full Q2 experience in the end. But if I understood this correctly, it's just about recreating one original level faithfully, so it should be ok, I guess?

The idea of having the tools/template to create custom Q2 addons/mission packs in GZD is quite interesting.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

huh... it looks cool and all, but i do wonder why the download links on OP don't work anymore. but thanks for sharing the functional link, irukanjji!
Tetzlaff

Post by Tetzlaff »

Thank you very much! :)
Lemenus

Post by Lemenus »

It doesn't even feel like a Doom, if not default menu and movement (which is fixable with ZMovement) it would be 100% seamless. Also levels feels kinda weird without music.
I dunno if anyone had issues with this, but when trying to shot enemy, bullets stumble upon any corpse in the way, it's like hitscans ignore vertical dimension and damage anything on vertical (seems like original limitations of engine getting into action here). Also because of that i accidentally activated secret area (button on top)
CBM

Post by CBM »

Cool project

I am Looking forward to try the final version. Let me Know if you can use any Help with this project.
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

So this got featured in another Doom Mod Madness grabbag:

Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Congratulations! I do hope he could make more demo disk vids-
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

So awesome to know that this TC has been mentioned on Doom Mod Madness eheh, even if I consider a little experiment with a friend. Hope I'll be able to update this soon, since after Blade of Agony release I will dedicate more time to other works which shouldn't require huge effort to going by.
For the release link, while I am on phone and can't check the download, you can get the mod from github, just download the repository, unzip it and run build.bat
Some stuff has been fixed and can't remember if that was been included within the download link, so in case check and follow my instructions as above.

https://github.com/Ozymandias81/DeimosQ2TC
Tetzlaff

Post by Tetzlaff »

This mod demo is really impressive, it feels almost exactly like Quake 2. Plus you have a fully functional automap now, which came in quite handy in the more convoluted parts of the last demo level.

I also really like the mixing of PC Q2 and N64 Q2 elements. Recognized some rooms from the N64 version in the new level.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”