(WIP) Quake 2 TC - DEMO RELEASED!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
sirudoom

Re: (WIP) Quake 2 TC - DEMO RELEASED!

Post by sirudoom »

QuakedoomNukem Cz wrote:
sirudoom wrote:id love to see quake 3 remade or just a quake that crazy fast. that's what I liked about q3. its more like your in a car going off jumps then running.
Regarding Quake 3, Hunter's Moon is pretty much that, just with a few additions and a massive campaign of its own.
that looks kinda slow paced, ill def play that when its done. its got the right idea.
i just watched the whole game on yt and quake 3 had mostly filler levels and there weren't amazing levels, but its just got everything you need to make that type of game.
Spoiler:
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

This is very cool! Though, with a crosshair mod that gives me the name of the monsters, it's amusing seeing "Zombieman" everywhere I go. Gameplay-wise, I have no issues other than lack of ammo (and that may be because I'm bad).
Gorman Frebmane

Post by Gorman Frebmane »

PRIMEVAL wrote:Snip.

Not really, its rare to see a mod utilizing so many 3d floors especially since quake did have some veritcality and shapes that are really difficult to replicate in gzdoom.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Very cool so far, can't wait to see more.

To report a bug, the Flyer has a default obituary message in Spanish.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

this is excellent work! I loved q2 on the n64 as thats where I did most of my q2 dm with friends rather than online or lan parties. I too found myself without machines and tech to play quake2 as I wanted and as such I found the n64 more accessible at the time (even though I preferred the keyboard and mouse setup from years of doom and quake1 on the pc LOL)
but back to the mod, the pang of nostalgia from the first map had me hooked! its a nice rework of original stuff with just enough new to make it feel fresh!
the second map (remix of the first pc map) was great too. excellent reworks here.
are the others your work entirely or reworks? I dont remember them from q2 or q264 is all...
tbh i genuinely forgot it was the gzdoom engine till i looked down at the hud to see the doom medkit next to the health. ( I must have had the expanded hud on or something)
and all was going well on map 3 till I went to throw a grenade. something broke there...whats up with that? ;)

all in all: I WANT MORE! and i'm sure evryone else does too! lovely work. genuinely made my day!

one thing that I was thinking (as far as future details to the mod) that would be nice is an implementation of the q264 muzzleflashes on the sg, ssg, mg and chaingun that midway added when making q264. its a great nod to the n64 version but i've no idea how you'd implement it. models are not my thing... (I suppose you could make them seperate to the model and have them a_spawnitemex infront of the gun when firing?) <- hacky? i dunno.

*edit*
oh, and don't know if you're interested but feel free to use these bfg skins I re-coloured a while back (i use it in regular q2 because of my q2n64 obsession/nostalgia) for an even more n64 vibe!
bfg10k.png
bfg10k.png (8.5 KiB) Viewed 2203 times
vbfg10k.png
vbfg10k.png (17.88 KiB) Viewed 2202 times
it looks ok in game as far as I can tell:
bfg view.jpg
(for those not in the know, midway recoloured the bfg green in the n64 port)
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

I just found out that back in the day midway recoloured the railgun blue for the n64 too so Ive done that as well, because why not...
g_railgun.png
g_railgun.png (12.63 KiB) Viewed 2193 times
v_railgun.png
v_railgun.png (9.16 KiB) Viewed 2193 times
and again ingame:
rail prev.jpg
kinda cool I guess... (wonder why i noticed the bfg recolour but not the railgun..?

Oh and doubleposting, cos, you know, image upload limitations... ;)
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Ive had a go at implementing the muzzleflash for the shotgun, supershotgun, machinegun and chaingun as in original q264
to see for yourself use this txt:
weapons.txt
(39.46 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
in place of the current weapons.txt in the actors folder. it uses no new resources, simple two new actors (standard and blue (chaingun) muzzleflashes) and a few new lines of code in the weapons themselves to spawn the flashes... 'taint perfect but is nice if you like that sorta thing...
muzzes.jpg
muzzes.jpg (42.97 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
again, really sorry to spam this project with posts but there's only so three things can be attached with posts. so yeah. whatever, enjoy I guess!
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

It's not spam but awesomeness osjclatchford! Will add them asap since I am also fixing discrepancies here and there and reformatting code, thanks a lot for these and keep feedbacks coming everybody!
Last edited by Ozymandias81 on Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Very nice, very nice indeed. As something of a Quake II fan (I consider it the best of the Quake games - by quite some margin) I really like this.

Them only problem I noticed was that once I got squished under a lowering elevator made with a 3D floor (that's not the problem) and when that happened, the game crashed. I haven't had a chance to see if it is reproducible yet.

Anyway, this mod is really well done. It very accurately captures the Quake II feel but does so in the more familiar and (IMO) better playing GZDoom engine. Sure, there are some technical limitations that are apparent, but you have to be pretty nit-picky to care enough about them for them to spoil the game for you.

Interesting that quite a few comments in this thread are about running the mod with other mods (in this case Target Spy). While Target Spy is hardly an invasive mod and, yes, perhaps mods of that kind should be supported if they can be - and the author wants to, it seems to be something of an increasing disease (Brutal Doom syndrome?) in this community for people to always run particular game-changing mods and then complain that a particular map set/TC/etc has a problem when running the maps with the game changing mod. From my perspective, tough! If you change how the game works, don't be surprised if a map intended not to be run with it doesn't support the mod.

(Honestly, from my perspective most game-changing mods are little more than a novelty with only a limited fun lifespan anyway. I run them a couple of times (usually through Episode 1), think they are cool (or not) and then consign them to a folder never to be run again. To me, it's not where the fun of playing Doom mods lie. I really don't care much about the 1001 weapons/enemies mods etc. and I certainly don't try and set up anything I make to try and accommodate each and every combination of them. /rant over :P )

osjclatchford wrote:again, really sorry to spam this project with posts but there's only so three things can be attached with posts. so yeah. whatever, enjoy I guess!
Why don't you just upload your images to imgur or something? This site isn't set up as a file host and there is an attachment size limit etc. Using imgur would mean you could put more in your posts and not strain things here on ZDF either.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Enjay wrote:Very nice, very nice indeed. As something of a Quake II fan (I consider it the best of the Quake games - by quite some margin) I really like this.
Thanks a lot, feedbacks coming from you means a lot for us.. Can't say more! :D
Enjay wrote:Them only problem I noticed was that once I got squished under a lowering elevator made with a 3D floor (that's not the problem) and when that happened, the game crashed. I haven't had a chance to see if it is reproducible yet.
Fortunately it was something I noticed and we'll need to investigate further on how to fix it (it was already present on the TODO file on my local copy of Q2TC, but now it has been added on github yuhuu!!)
Enjay wrote:Anyway, this mod is really well done. It very accurately captures the Quake II feel but does so in the more familiar and (IMO) better playing GZDoom engine. Sure, there are some technical limitations that are apparent, but you have to be pretty nit-picky to care enough about them for them to spoil the game for you.

Interesting that quite a few comments in this thread are about running the mod with other mods (in this case Target Spy). While Target Spy is hardly an invasive mod and, yes, perhaps mods of that kind should be supported if they can be - and the author wants to, it seems to be something of an increasing disease (Brutal Doom syndrome?) in this community for people to always run particular game-changing mods and then complain that a particular map set/TC/etc has a problem when running the maps with the game changing mod. From my perspective, tough! If you change how the game works, don't be surprised if a map intended not to be run with it doesn't support the mod.

(Honestly, from my perspective most game-changing mods are little more than a novelty with only a limited fun lifespan anyway. I run them a couple of times (usually through Episode 1), think they are cool (or not) and then consign them to a folder never to be run again. To me, it's not where the fun of playing Doom mods lie. I really don't care much about the 1001 weapons/enemies mods etc. and I certainly don't try and set up anything I make to try and accommodate each and every combination of them. /rant over :P )
While this mod wouldn't have been possible without Quake II Stuff from TheChameleonMaligno, I'll try to help Deimos reaching the best possible feeling about turning this as a cool Quake II TC, in order also to make it stand above over other ones... While my dedication to Blade of Agony won't change as a single inch (going through Chapter 1 maps fixes, polishments and additions - more t come for Chapter 2 while mappers are working on Chapter 3), I consider Q2TC and BlooM my on-schedule collaborations, hopefully with effort that will turn the whole thing good for the community and without naive stuff (Q2TCStuff needs a lot of code polishment, you know I am so nitpicky with that - Can't say the same with Gore: Horde of Titans, that jewel will need a loooooot of rework but I have an idea and will see in the future)
Enjay wrote:
osjclatchford wrote:again, really sorry to spam this project with posts but there's only so three things can be attached with posts. so yeah. whatever, enjoy I guess!
Why don't you just upload your images to imgur or something? This site isn't set up as a file host and there is an attachment size limit etc. Using imgur would mean you could put more in your posts and not strain things here on ZDF either.
Indeed he is perfectly right, I always use imgur for playtesting and textures in general and works like a charm, so osjclatchford if you are eager to come with more skins we are open fully to that, but have them on imgur or push them on the new github repository
Last edited by Ozymandias81 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

So good news boys and girls, after these awesome feedbacks we have decided to move development straight onto Github, so we can have a mutual workflow without losing track of what needs to be done! The actual build present on github has some different fixes compared to the Demo version, which now we have also decided to release this project by Units... So once this demo will be fully functional and fixed resource wise, we gonna have a Unit 1 release.

Here you are major changes present on actual github repository:

- New N64 skins for Railgun and BFG10k thanks to osjclatchford
- New Muzzleflashes applied for bullets related weapons, thanks always to osjclatchford
- Fixed USMCSoldier machinegun modeldefs, now works properly, and no more console warnings too
- Added Tags for enemies (didn't test)
- Added a TODO list for proper development scheme and updated CREDITS
- Added DOCS folder with Story background
- U1M4: Silenced non-existent textures Q9 and Q32 and moved the interactive portal to align it and have a better perfomance ( slope error with portals is still there though )

Github Repository
Leviathan
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Leviathan »

wow amazing work, thanks a lot for using our quake 2 stuff assets I hope i can update quake 2 stuff soon,
loving the maps i'll look foward for the complete version :)
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

You are obviously welcome theundeadsoldier! I plan to polish the original code and have everything more user-friendly, you will see what I mean :)
MFG38
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by MFG38 »

Happy to see a Quake 2 TC that seems to take full advantage of GZDoom's features. I recall rather enjoying Quake 2, so this should be interesting. I'll give it a spin shortly. c:
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

nice one guys! thanks for including my stuff there too Oz!
its a great project and its nice to be a part of it.
dont know if anyone's interested but Ive done some stuff for the monsters to have muzleflashes like in q264 too:
enemies.txt
(98.06 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
just whack that in the actors folder and you're good to go...

*edit*
had another got at it earlier and have a couple of questions:
1, does anyone else have the grenade bug occuring where throwing a hand grenade just drops it at your feet no matter how long you 'cook' it for?
is it something to do with using all the ammo and then going back to that weapon?
2, whats with the truly savage blue screen blend when under water. seems a bit ott to me but I dunno...

also try this optional grenade model pack that ive used in q2 for many a year and have now converted for use in this mod.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/mf4eues8 ... s.pk3/file
add it to your load order after the main mod.
all it does is makes the gl projectile match the one in the gun and the hand grenade model is much improved also.
its nothing hi-res or any other odd looking load of bollox or anything like that. its simply a pair of models thats completely in keeping with q2's asthetic, hell its even based on its actual art/models. its an old 'fix' that was released back in the days of q2, hence it being in the md2 format and all that...

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”