Any other controller players?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
openroadracer
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Any other controller players?

Post by openroadracer »

Hello, just asking if anyone else here has any experience using a controller with GZDoom. For the record, I use a wired X360 controller, not just for GZDoom, but for a large number of games on my PC. You see, my first FPS was GoldenEye on the N64. I've played console shooters for about as long as I can remember, with the Medal of Honor games, the Call of Duty games, the first Borderlands, the Battlefield: Bad Company games, Crysis 2 and several others all having been played by me on console.

I didn't really get into PC gaming until about 2012 with World of Tanks. Then I found Nitronic Rush which led me to Distance and got me into Steam. NR and Distance are pretty much the reason why I keep a controller plugged into my PC at all times, and I'll openly admit that I'm still a console peasant at heart. Old habits die hard, and all that. Eventually, I started getting into DooM. As I stated in my new user introduction, I started with Zandronum and FreeDOOM. I didn't get the id Software commercial IWADs until 2017. I've still retained the FreeDOOM IWADs, though, as they are still fun to play through and slightly different from the id Software .WADs.

Lastly, and I know this isn't really relevant, but has anyone seen anything made for DooM based on Mass Effect? I know ME's not as good as it used to be, but I've still got great memories of the first two in the series. I'd really like if there were mods based on it; but I have literally no experience or knowledge of spriting, animating, coding or anything like that.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Any other controller players?

Post by Kinsie »

I seem to remember my co-developer on Reelism did a decent bit of testing using a controller, and it worked surprisingly well.
openroadracer wrote:Lastly, and I know this isn't really relevant, but has anyone seen anything made for DooM based on Mass Effect? I know ME's not as good as it used to be, but I've still got great memories of the first two in the series. I'd really like if there were mods based on it; but I have literally no experience or knowledge of spriting, animating, coding or anything like that.
Nothing comes to mind, and Google doesn't bring anything up. Which is actually kind of odd. Mass Effect is so huge and was so popular for a time, it's actually kind of astonishing nobody tried doing a Doom thing of any part of it.
openroadracer
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Any other controller players?

Post by openroadracer »

Kinsie wrote:I seem to remember my co-developer on Reelism did a decent bit of testing using a controller, and it worked surprisingly well.
Oh, cool. So I'm not completely alone here.
Kinsie wrote:
openroadracer wrote:Lastly, and I know this isn't really relevant, but has anyone seen anything made for DooM based on Mass Effect? I know ME's not as good as it used to be, but I've still got great memories of the first two in the series. I'd really like if there were mods based on it; but I have literally no experience or knowledge of spriting, animating, coding or anything like that.
Nothing comes to mind, and Google doesn't bring anything up. Which is actually kind of odd. Mass Effect is so huge and was so popular for a time, it's actually kind of astonishing nobody tried doing a Doom thing of any part of it.
Now THAT is disappointing.

Ah well. Can't have everything, I guess.

Return to “General”