LZDoom 3.88b 02/26 released

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
sedrosken
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: LZDoom 3.82 'rogue' 07/19 released

Post by sedrosken »

I thought GZDoom dropped support for OpenGL 1.4-class GPUs after 1.8.03? I run a Ti4200 and don't have OpenGL2 or better. It's not a huge deal, I've got other machines that are plenty capable of running the latest GZDoom builds, I just thought it might be nice to play around with it on the old machine, and he did say if there's enough demand he'd consider it, so I was just throwing my name behind that one. And yeah, rebuilding the sound libraries got really sticky, that's what prevented me from trying to build it myself. I figured perhaps he had a better setup for doing it with.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I added the TC_USE_SSE2 switch (you'd get reduced performance for TC) but the problem is compiling the sound libraries, i think i used MinGW for some of them and may be i even used an older pre-released binary for one or two. It was an early build and i don't remember where it is, the old Athlon computer i used for testing is in the garage and may be even dead.
You'd better try ZDoom LE, it's the latest version with the GL 1.x renderer and the MinGW build should run there with the best performance. Edit: the VS build should also work but i'm not sure.

https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/rel ... 2.8.3a.zip
sedrosken

Post by sedrosken »

Well, that's certainly a metric ton better than what I had before. I still can't run Square (that's okay, I've got other machines that can) but I can at least run Brutal Doom V21 on a Pentium III-S. :mrgreen: Runs surprisingly well! No SSE2? No OpenGL2? No problem...
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

sedrosken wrote:Well, that's certainly a metric ton better than what I had before. I still can't run Square (that's okay, I've got other machines that can) but I can at least run Brutal Doom V21 on a Pentium III-S. :mrgreen: Runs surprisingly well! No SSE2? No OpenGL2? No problem...
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=61046
This runs very well in ZDoom LE. Don't expect very playable framerates though, you might want to use ZDoom32 in software mode for that, set the wall culling distance to something low and the detail mode to something lower than high. (ZDoom LE also has this but from what i have seen ZDoom32 has a ever-so-slightly faster software renderer)
Unless the Pentium III-S is faster than a Celeron 1.4GHz it's not going to run well.

I said in a comment that 3D floors are missing in certain levels but this only affects Zandronum and GZDoom 1.8.6, ZDoom LE and newer work just fine.
sedrosken

Post by sedrosken »

TDRR wrote:
sedrosken wrote:Well, that's certainly a metric ton better than what I had before. I still can't run Square (that's okay, I've got other machines that can) but I can at least run Brutal Doom V21 on a Pentium III-S. :mrgreen: Runs surprisingly well! No SSE2? No OpenGL2? No problem...
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=61046
This runs very well in ZDoom LE. Don't expect very playable framerates though, you might want to use ZDoom32 in software mode for that, set the wall culling distance to something low and the detail mode to something lower than high. (ZDoom LE also has this but from what i have seen ZDoom32 has a ever-so-slightly faster software renderer)
Unless the Pentium III-S is faster than a Celeron 1.4GHz it's not going to run well.

I said in a comment that 3D floors are missing in certain levels but this only affects Zandronum and GZDoom 1.8.6, ZDoom LE and newer work just fine.
Huge thank you! I use the OpenGL renderer anyway, so everything's nice and smooth for me at my monitor's native res of 1024x768. Helped that I already dialed in workable shadows/lighting/filtering settings. BD21 can still chug a bit, but by and large, I'm incredibly happy with this solution.
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

sedrosken wrote:Huge thank you! I use the OpenGL renderer anyway, so everything's nice and smooth for me at my monitor's native res of 1024x768. Helped that I already dialed in workable shadows/lighting/filtering settings. BD21 can still chug a bit, but by and large, I'm incredibly happy with this solution.
Just noticed you mentioned you are using Nvidia so yeah, it's smooth. I said that because i thought you couldn't run it in OpenGL but nevermind then.

Hope you enjoy it!
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

The DRD Team devbuilds are now up, that means no more vintage devbuilds. https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/lzdoom/
Things you'll want to try:
Support for up to 4 DInput joysticks with 32 button each for fake splitscreen.
The old quicksave now works as in original Doom, you select the slot only with quicksave.
Wall and sprite render cull options for the GL renderer.
Models are for now disabled by default for the classic software renderer with the new r_models_carmack CVAR, on certain maps such as Stronhold's STR12 there's a huge performance difference. BTW that map should not crash anymore.
Tweaked the 1K Deaths skill setting for Heretic, now it's a bit easier buy way more interesting.
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

drfrag wrote:...Wall and sprite render cull options for the GL renderer...
YES, FINALLY! I actually thought this would never be done, but i'm so glad i was wrong.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I found it by chance digging in the QZDoom repo, Rachael added wall culling and i finished the feature with Graf's help. Then adding sprite culling was pretty easy.
viewtopic.php?f=334&t=65793
Another thing to investigate is performance impact of models in the Carmack renderer even without models, for some maps is big for vanilla ones there's no difference. The poly renderer is not affected.
site
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by site »

I haven't ever tried that feature, but since it's being brought up I think I might give it a whirl. Is there a minimum to be aware of on either option where things generally start to break?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

The menu in theory only allows to select safe values, it's enabled by default so you've probably tried it already. For big levels makes a difference but for normal ones most likely won't be triggered with the default value.
BTW i've just fixed a serious bug with game finales, the fix will be in the next devbuild.
site

Post by site »

drfrag wrote:it's enabled by default so you've probably tried it already.
oh, i had just assumed the default values were doom's defaults. oops :P
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

That feature was obviously not in Doom. I've just uploaded a new devbuild with the fix.
site

Post by site »

drfrag wrote:That feature was obviously not in Doom. I've just uploaded a new devbuild with the fix.
lol no sorry, I meant as in at the default values there was no culling. iirc up until 3.82 there was no "disable" option in the software renderer, leading me to think that at default values it was not enabled.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

It's disabled when values are 0 (using the menu command). I changed the sliders since before non reasonable values were allowed.

Return to “Game Engines”