[Hexen] Lepistus (final)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
whirledtsar

[Hexen] Lepistus (final)

Post by whirledtsar »

Lepistus is a large, atmospheric Hexen map for GZDoom.
You must find a way into the walled town of Lepistus and ring its sacred bell. There are books in the level you can interact with to learn more. You can also interact with crystal balls to look through them. Crouching is allowed, and in fact required to progress at one point.
The progression isn't too difficult in my opinion, but there is a walkthrough at the bottom of the text file in case you really need it.
There is plenty of new content along with the classic Hexen action, with a few new monsters, a new weapon for each class (slot 4), and an entire new class to play as, the Ranger. There are also a couple little changes to vanilla actors. Details can be found in txt file. Or you could just play and be surprised!
The framerate in some areas may suffer on lower-power computers due to the amount of visible sectors & 3d floors. I recommend playing without dynamic lights, not only for performance concerns, but because I designed the map without them on and put a good amount of care into sector lighting.

Idgames: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... l/lepistus
Mega: https://mega.nz/#!hLZhFKBD!v48seomDZNX9 ... JOZQwfW73I

Screens:

Last edited by whirledtsar on Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:15 pm, edited 16 times in total.
AvzinElkein

Re: [Hexen] Lepistus (RC1)

Post by AvzinElkein »

Question: Will there be a "vaccinated" version of it, so it can be used with certain mods?
MFG38
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by MFG38 »

I'm all for new Hexen content, even though it isn't among my favorite games. I'll make a note of giving this a go. c:
whirledtsar

Post by whirledtsar »

AvzinElkein wrote:Question: Will there be a "vaccinated" version of it, so it can be used with certain mods?
Shouldnt mods just overwrite anything I changed? The only issue I can foresee is that the cleric class is replaced so I could change his mace. I can release a version with the default cleric if its an issue.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

fluffyshambler wrote:
AvzinElkein wrote:Question: Will there be a "vaccinated" version of it, so it can be used with certain mods?
Shouldnt mods just overwrite anything I changed? The only issue I can foresee is that the cleric class is replaced so I could change his mace. I can release a version with the default cleric if its an issue.
I was thinking, say, Guncaster; it's mostly the enemies you added.
whirledtsar

Post by whirledtsar »

AvzinElkein wrote:
fluffyshambler wrote:
I was thinking, say, Guncaster; it's mostly the enemies you added.
I still dont really understand the issue, because i never played guncaster and it doesnt want to work with any of the versions of GZDoom i have. If theres a problem running this with guncaster, I can make a version with just vanilla monsters.
ShadesMaster

Re: [Hexen] Lepistus (RC2)

Post by ShadesMaster »

hexen.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7fQIUMM8w0

Spoilers in this video, of course!

This was a really good level! My only 'criticisms' are a handful of bug reports, which this playthrough explores. There were a few points a door would only open once and you'd get stuck - the one leaving the caves, and one leading to a secret for example. The bat puzzle was awesome but I would have loved another crystal ball or another indication of where to go - I forgot about the underground castle's ledges. And lastly, you can skip getting the gem required to enter the crypts, by jumping onto the lip of a nearby pillar, then the roof of the structure in question and dropping down. The gem is a puzzle item inside a secret and I glossed over it until I looked through the readme guide at the bat part and realized after the fact.

This is a very solid work and I loved the cinematics at the ending. Perhaps with a version update some new end text is applicable, too. I hope you make more of these maps as I found this very enjoyable!

Return to “Levels”