Unicode Doom Font Creator

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ErmacMKIII

Unicode Doom Font Creator

Post by ErmacMKIII »

Q: What is it?
A: A lesser interactive program for font generation since GZDoom transitioned to new font formats and Unicode.

A: Which version is actual?
Q: Actual version is Doom Font Genesis V1.0.2 - KOREANS.

Q: Alright, can you give me some help about it?
A: Help pretty much explains how to do it.
You choose how your font wants to look like.
If you don't want to create yet but test you choose preview.
When ready you choose "Output Directory" and click "GO".
"STOP" terminates generating job.
PK3 file waits you where you chosen to be.

Q: How to include the resulting .pk3 file in GZDoom?
Put the <archive_name>.pk3 file in your GZDoom directory.
Then in your GZdoom .ini file you need to write under [Global.Autoload]
Path=./<archive_name>.pk3

Q: What programming language was used to made this?
A: Program is written in Java 1.8.

Q: Is program open or closed source?
A: I decided to make it open-source for the benefits and good for all of us.

Download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/uuxk6w8yy ... NS.7z/file

Source code link:
https://github.com/ErmacMKIII/UnicodeDoomFontCreator

Screenshot:
Spoiler:
*Note 1 - Console Font won't work and this is known issue. Because GZDoom demands proper naming convention and font sheets;
but in this program for each character PNG format was used.

*Note 2 - For previous versions of GZDoom which supports font in lump and bmf format; in addition to ZDoom and Zandronum use Doom Font Genesis.
Last edited by ErmacMKIII on Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Nash

Re: Unicode Doom Font Creator

Post by Nash »

Ahhh finally, Unicode! I've wanted this for quite some time. :) Will give this a try and report back!
ErmacMKIII

Post by ErmacMKIII »

Please download the latest version "JAGUAR" (1.0.1) with some small fixes (two dialogs at the same time when job is stopped, empty text preview error etc) and changes. You will notice that the application has GZDOOM in it's frame. Again it's discussable what to do with the Console Font. If admins change that Console Font use path "filter/doom.id/fonts/consolefont" and then finally entries of the console font are .PNG images, all generated with the program it's gonna work with console font as well. Pls help me and I will help all of you :)
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

This is pretty damn cool! End results look real decent as well, especially for an automated process with no artist touching it.

Got a few suggestions for additional features to add, if that's at all possible:
  • Adding a drop-shadow stylisation option alongside the pre-existing outline, gradient and anti-aliasing.
  • Adding an option to break pre-existing ZDoom .lmp fonts down into the new PNG-based font format.
  • Adding an option to load a specific ttf/otf file into the program instead of using the system font selector.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Seconding all the stuff Kinsie suggested. Hey Kins care to post Korean or Japanese screenshot or something with that font you just made?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

I don't seem to be able to figure out how to generate such a font, sorry. Even with the last char cranked up to 9999. Maybe I just don't have the proper fonts (or the proper fonts aren't appearing in the list?) Was using SimSun as a test, and I was getting a whooole lotta blank characters in the pk3.
ErmacMKIII

Post by ErmacMKIII »

New subrelease - KOREANS; Drop shadow came in to the spotlight and now available. Also instead of character range you can use char coverage which covers scripts you want.
Also a tip: Before clicking "GO" test if font support characters you want by typing in the text field and clicking "Preview". Some do and some don't. And another tip: Angles in "Shadow" are clockwise oriented.

[Edit] Multiplier changed to affect font no matter what effect or value is taken. Sort of desired hotfix.
Last edited by ErmacMKIII on Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II

Post by SanyaWaffles »

Since releasing the Unicode font systems, I've been really wanting some tool like this. Beforehand I had to use a cumbersome method to generate all characters... and memorizing ASCII codes is a pain.

I'm gonna give this a go, this looks neat.

EDIT: It seems to be having trouble on my system reading my fonts. It can read Arial and other stock fonts though...

EDIT2: It appears I need to install fonts for all users and not just me for it to work. Weird. Windows 10 must have changed the way fonts are handled a bit.

EDIT3: Okay, my thoughts!

Not a bad tool at all. I love how simple it was to create a font (aside Windows 10's own font issues). It'd be cool to be able to have the fonts be higher-res (using the scale property). Though for lo-res looks this is quite awesome. :D
GreyFox777

Post by GreyFox777 »

Strange... but if i set the language to english, the font won't change at all...
But it works for another languages. Any idea why it happens?

UPD: hmm, looks like the default english loads the image from iwad, instead of language.csv from game_support.pk3
Nash

Post by Nash »

UPDATE:

Uninstalling Java completely from my computer, restarting the computer, then re-installing the latest Java version downloaded from the official Java website, fixed my problem. Original post follows:

------------------------------------------------
Spoiler:
Last edited by Nash on Tue May 30, 2023 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
[_ilystra_]
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 LTSC
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by [_ilystra_] »

What should I do if the font supports Russian characters, and they are available in pk3, but in practice they are replaced by hieroglyphs?
Durandoll
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Durandoll »

A number of the fonts installed on my computer, including the one I wished to use, don't appear in the dropdown. Is there an incompatibility with some fonts that prevents them from being converted?

EDIT: That's what I get for not looking at the other posts more thoroughly, I just didn't have them installed for all users. Thanks for creating such a wonderful tool.
Last edited by Durandoll on Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”