GZDoom 3.8.2 Vintage Released

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: GZDoom 3.8.2 Vintage Released

Post by Graf Zahl »

Blzut3 wrote:I I mean, I might find some time to implement it just for the heck of it, but realistically I expect the recommended default would be to just use the internal OpenGL backend.
That'd need dpJudas's software rastertizer to render 2D content.
Blzut3 wrote: What would potentially be interesting is to play with various APIs on the Mac. Back when ZDoom got an OpenGL based Cocoa backend it got a massive uplift over the software code path of SDL 1.2, but I'd be curious to know if that was just SDL 1.2 being absolutely terrible on the Mac or if OpenGL is the optimal API. I suspect it is (assuming Metal isn't faster at it, but if Vulkan didn't show promise on Windows I'm not sure I'd get my hopes up), but it is an unknown.
OpenGL on macOS is bad enough that I'd expect Metal to perform better. Of course, with Apple the far more important question is how long they need to lock down their system sufficiently that small-time Open Source projects cannot afford to cut through Apple's red tape anymore and cease support. In the larger scheme of things macOS is rather irrelevant anyway. Aside from 32 bit support, macOS is by far the smallest user group and I won't invest any real effort to keep it afloat. :twisted:
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

No, that appeared after the renderer unification. I was talking about this: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65552&p=1114954&hi ... L#p1114949
But if it runs well then there's no need for it. Could help on the Pi and other devices tough.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

The way I imagine it working is that the Windows version uses Direct3D 9 due to its fast path. The Linux version uses the SDL functions for presenting as that should theoretically make it use the fastest path there. As drfrag mentions some of the more exotic Linux platforms there may prefer a different path than OpenGL. For macOS I'm not sure what is best.

The funny thing about Direct3D 11, OpenGL and especially Vulkan is that they all have slower paths than Direct3D 9. When I looked at the Nvidia memory pools used in Vulkan it looked like their current driver for RTX 2080 places everything in local host memory and then uses dirty pages or something like that to figure out what needs to be copied over to device memory. That apparently works acceptable for the type of data modern games streams, but it is terrible for what a software renderer wants to do.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”