GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix, a maintenance fork of GZDB

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix, a maintenance fork of GZDB

Post by Kappes Buur »

MartinHowe wrote:I'm not sure if this is a missing feature or a bug, but there are no configurations for mapping in UDMF and Doom 1. ....

Since Doom is still a valid game is there any way this could be supported in future?
Sgt. Shivers asked the same question 4.5 years ago.
The general consensus at that time was, and I guess still is, that because mapping for Doom1 is not so popular, to just use the Doom2 config with DOOM.wad and just ignore the sprites/textures which are showing up as missing.

For example:

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/ob7VxsP[/imgur]

I agree, proper support for the DOOM1 mapping variety configs would be nice.
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

Thanks, at least it can be done. I am one of those that detest everything about Doom 2 and wish it had never existed LOL
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

If you really want, you can create your own game/mod specific config files. So, you could clone the relevant Doom2 project files and trim out the bits that you don't need. It'd probably be a case of too much effort versus too little gain, but the config files format is easy enough to work through (IMO) and I have been able to set up a couple of project files for my own stuff.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

I put these together to address the problem Martin Howe has bought up. Figured I'd share, as I've made enough use of them to see the value in having them. Every GZDB-bf update means you'll have to copy the "Includes" file back in place as well as the three GZDoom_Doom files, but it's a small price to pay.
Attachments
GZDB GZDoom Doom configs.zip
Contains six altered configs and one altered include file
(10.92 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

Phobus wrote:...., but it's a small price to pay.
Indeed.
Just tried the UDMF version, works great.
Thank you.

The one thing I did different though was to rename the DOOM configs to DOOM1 to make them stand out more for selection

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/yo64nen[/imgur]
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

When using the deep water special, zdoom supports putting a numeric value on the lower side to be used as the colour below the water. It also supports the internal alias "WATERMAP" (I think for BOOM backwards compatibility) to give a good blue-ish underwater colour. However, the GZDB error checker flags these as bad texture names.

The above screenshot was with an old map in Hexen mode that I wanted to alter and then error check.

Any way around this? (FWiW, DeePsea just seems to ignore them for the purposes of error checking.)
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

Enjay wrote:If you really want, you can create your own game/mod specific config files. So, you could clone the relevant Doom2 project files and trim out the bits that you don't need. It'd probably be a case of too much effort versus too little gain, but the config files format is easy enough to work through (IMO) and I have been able to set up a couple of project files for my own stuff.
I did try but the problem is maintaining it in the face of updates and the level of recursion; too much of the internals assume everyone is using Doom 2. Then again...
Phobus wrote:I put these together to address the problem Martin Howe has bought up. Figured I'd share, as I've made enough use of them to see the value in having them. Every GZDB-bf update means you'll have to copy the "Includes" file back in place as well as the three GZDoom_Doom files, but it's a small price to pay.
Well, I'll have a look at these in the morning - thankx @Phobus
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Finally dragged a WIP to just about completion - I'm requesting a code review!

https://github.com/jewalky/GZDoom-Build ... /pull/259/

This adds a Quick Texture form, by default accessible on Alt+Q, where you can store up to ten textures and then apply them in visual mode, essentially giving you more copy/paste slots for textures. (I use the number keys in place of selection groups because I don't ever use those). It's good for holding common textures like SUPPORT2 and PLAT1 so that you don't have to type them out repeatedly when editing textures in visual mode.

The current list of quick textures saves with the map configuration in the DBS file.
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SanyaWaffles »

Ghost Prototype wrote:My GZdoomBuilder is super choppy in 3D view mode. Is this a usual problem with AMD cards or a windows 10 thing? My old card was a 750ti running on windows 7. Ran perfectly smooth then
Been having that, and I'm on NVidia and Windows 10.

Must be a Windows 10 issue.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Purely out of interest, if you hit t to toggle things off does it improve? I find that makes a big difference for me. So I end up doing a lot of editing without things being visible. Not ideal but I can toggle them back on when I need them to be there
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

On my computer with a GTX660, having things visible or not does not seem to make any difference. However, the viewdistance is another matter.

For small to medium maps, 9000 (the upper limit in F5) seems to be ok.
But for large maps, I like to increase the viewdistance up to 20000 (in GZDoom.cfg), which makes moving in the map choppy but still acceptable.
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SanyaWaffles »

Enjay wrote:Purely out of interest, if you hit t to toggle things off does it improve?
I tried that - negligible performance increase for me - but the latest NVidia Driver seems to make the performance significantly better on my machine.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Is there any way in GZDB to search (F3) for anything that is non-zero or to do some other wildcard-like search. e.g. if I wanted to search for all lines that had an action, I'd want to be able to find every line that doesn't have type 0. Can that be done? I've tried a few guess syntaxes but did not get any results.

I basically need it for lines right now, but wildcards for things, sectors, whatever would also be great. It strikes as the kind of thing that might already exist and I'm just not getting it right.

Bonus question: How do I use "Use lindef angles" for rotating flats? I can't seem to get that to have any effect.

I'm hoping that it allows me to align a flat to match a line (in a similar way to how the ACS version does) but until I know how to get it to do something, I don't know if it does what I want. I can't find it in the help files.
boris

Post by boris »

Enjay wrote:Is there any way in GZDB to search (F3) for anything that is non-zero or to do some other wildcard-like search. e.g. if I wanted to search for all lines that had an action, I'd want to be able to find every line that doesn't have type 0. Can that be done? I've tried a few guess syntaxes but did not get any results.

I basically need it for lines right now, but wildcards for things, sectors, whatever would also be great. It strikes as the kind of thing that might already exist and I'm just not getting it right.
For actions select the topmost option "Any" (translates to -1).
Enjay wrote:Bonus question: How do I use "Use lindef angles" for rotating flats? I can't seem to get that to have any effect.

I'm hoping that it allows me to align a flat to match a line (in a similar way to how the ACS version does) but until I know how to get it to do something, I don't know if it does what I want. I can't find it in the help files.
It's a pretty weird option. When the checkbox is checked scrolling through the values of the edit box will cycle through the angles of the sector's linedefs. I'm not sure if anybody is even using this, since it'll probably not result in something you'd want. Better options are the Floor/Ceiling Align Modes or selecting linedefs and go through Linedefs -> Align Textures. The latter don't have any hotkey bound by default, but of course you can change that.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Perfect answers. Thank you.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”