Is there a way to get a gameplay mods effects without...

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
tacticalcraptical

Is there a way to get a gameplay mods effects without...

Post by tacticalcraptical »

Is there a way you can use a gameplay mod without using the weapon sprites from it and/or forcing weapon graphics from another mod?

Context: I have been playing Fishbiter's OpenVR version of GZ3Doom. It works great for the vanilla weapon set using some 3D models that work as replacement for the sprites.
If you load a gameplay mod, take Beautiful Doom for example, and load the the 3D models together, it uses the Beautiful Doom weapon sprites instead. So instead of a gun model, you just get a floating sprite in your hands. This is not ideal as as it's really hard to aim this way (There are some built in options for the OpenVR GZ3Doom to help alleviate this but it does not work with everything)

I'd love to use to be able to use something like Beautiful Doom and have the monsters, the alt-fires, the bullet tracers, etc but hid the sprite and us the 3D weapon models instead.

Is there some setting or command or load order tweak, Slade trick that would allow something like this? I have fiddled around with it a lot and had not luck.

Thanks!
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Is there a way to get a gameplay mods effects without...

Post by Matt »

Load the models last.

If this is a GZDoom fork that always loads those models first, the next simplest way is to make a copy of Beautiful Doom with the weapon hud sprites deleted.
tacticalcraptical

I have tried both of those things and neither seemed to work but that's what I would have assumed too.

Loading the models last still results in the sprites loading. Loading up Beautiful Doom with Slade and deleting the sprites just ends up showing no not sprite or model.

It is probably something specific and weird that the fork is doing then, huh?
tacticalcraptical

Actually, what do you mean by "Weapon HUD Sprites" is this something different than the weapon sprites themselves? Would just deleting the whole ".\Sprites\Weapons" not achieving what you are getting at?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

The models are likely referencing the original names of the Doom 2 sprites, while Beautiful Doom is likely to be using new names entirely. One mod or the other may need to be changed on a deep level for these things to work together.
tacticalcraptical

I think you are right about that, Weasel. I am trying to figure out exactly what refers to what between the two but I have no idea what I am doing at all but I want to learn.

Return to “Technical Issues”