D4D - v3 Alpha 8.8 Final (11/22/2020)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Credits mode (Again!?)

Keep as is
29%
Modify: Doom 2016-esque (see p. 49)
66%
Modify: Other (explain please)
No votes
Remove
5%

Total votes: 86

Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 8.4 Delta Touch Guide p. 48 by WW

Post by Major Cooke »

It's not up to date enough. RenderUnderlay is brand new. Give it time and they'll hopefully get it so.
Major Cooke

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 8.4 Delta Touch Guide p. 48 by WW

Post by Major Cooke »

Okay people. I have finally discovered the biggest cause of the UAC_ROT0 startup issue. Now if you use the Doom4DoomResources-master.zip file, you should no longer encounter UAC_ROT0 issue if you have the load order correct.

FINALLY.

For now, you can continue using D4DResources.pk3. Or if you want to use the zip alternative, please redownload that one from github.
Major Cooke

D4D - v3 Alpha 8.4 NEW POLL! p. 49

Post by Major Cooke »

I've decided to conclude the previous poll and make a new one.
Spoiler: Classical Monsters results
I've spoken with a few folks about the current credit system and I'm rather unhappy with it as it stands. So there's a new poll to generate ideas on what to do with it...

Your poll options are this, and they mean the following descriptions.
  • Keep it as it is - Self explanatory.
  • Modify: Doom 2016 - This option replaces both credits AND crates mode.

Credits become akin to Doom 2016: you gain upgrade points per 1/5 kills and per each secret discovered. Completionist can either reward 3-5 tokens, or one random upgrade. But each time you buy an upgrade, the price of all other upgrades increases by 1 across the entire board. Credits can no longer be enhanced to drop more via powerups or items, and enhancements for those will change to be oriented towards health/armor/ammo and crate finds, possibly including powerups spawning from enemies when chainsawing them for example. You CAN choose to purchase a random item without increasing the cost however.

Drop mode (renamed from Crates) will also be like credits, but you receive a random upgrade. each time. This balances out because of with the credits system, you have the option of choice. Crates mode however, you don't, so you're rewarded a little more earlier for putting up with RNGsus at the risk of not getting something you want... or desperately need. The restriction for weapons you don't have will also be lifted so you can get upgrades for weapons you don't have yet, which can also be a boon... yet also a hindrance.

Crates will be capped, but can be earned in both modes by kills as usual, along with secrets and what not. Credits can no longer be used to purchase crate items, but they'll drastically be improved. The crate upgrades will increase the cap amount. Completionist will also increase the cap amount, and per every so many monsters killed along with secrets found so you have more to work with in a pinch.
  • Modify: Other - Have an idea yourself? I'm open to ideas.
  • Remove - Also self explanatory.
LOLANONIMUS

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 8.4 NEW POLL! p. 49

Post by LOLANONIMUS »

Una cosa si se pudiera fusionar (opción aparte) el modo drop upsgrades y comprar upsgrades estaria muy bueno tambien (sorry por si usan el traductor)
thedeathrunner123
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by thedeathrunner123 »

Major Cooke wrote:I've decided to conclude the previous poll and make a new one.
Spoiler: Classical Monsters results
I've spoken with a few folks about the current credit system and I'm rather unhappy with it as it stands. So there's a new poll to generate ideas on what to do with it...

Your poll options are this, and they mean the following descriptions.
  • Keep it as it is - Self explanatory.
  • Modify: Doom 2016 - This option replaces both credits AND crates mode.

Credits become akin to Doom 2016: you gain upgrade points per 1/5 kills and per each secret discovered. Completionist can either reward 3-5 tokens, or one random upgrade. But each time you buy an upgrade, the price of all other upgrades increases by 1 across the entire board. Credits can no longer be enhanced to drop more via powerups or items, and enhancements for those will change to be oriented towards health/armor/ammo and crate finds, possibly including powerups spawning from enemies when chainsawing them for example. You CAN choose to purchase a random item without increasing the cost however.

Drop mode (renamed from Crates) will also be like credits, but you receive a random upgrade. each time. This balances out because of with the credits system, you have the option of choice. Crates mode however, you don't, so you're rewarded a little more earlier for putting up with RNGsus at the risk of not getting something you want... or desperately need. The restriction for weapons you don't have will also be lifted so you can get upgrades for weapons you don't have yet, which can also be a boon... yet also a hindrance.

Crates will be capped, but can be earned in both modes by kills as usual, along with secrets and what not. Credits can no longer be used to purchase crate items, but they'll drastically be improved. The crate upgrades will increase the cap amount. Completionist will also increase the cap amount, and per every so many monsters killed along with secrets found so you have more to work with in a pinch.
  • Modify: Other - Have an idea yourself? I'm open to ideas.
  • Remove - Also self explanatory.
I chose other. I think it should be made like how either zion or d4t does it, have upgrades spawn randomly around the world, or be dropped by enemies. ( and maybe add a secret script or so for those cheaters who just want to have fun with everything)
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

To be fair, this idea encapsulates the randomness. You get both versions. You pay a bigger price for being able to select directly, but if you buy a random upgrade, you aren't accosted as much. But ultimately, the random mode will still be here and they will drop from monsters regardless in the random mode.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

LOLANONIMUS wrote:Una cosa si se pudiera fusionar (opción aparte) el modo drop upsgrades y comprar upsgrades estaria muy bueno tambien (sorry por si usan el traductor)
English please.
Baron Pampa
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Baron Pampa »

Hi, I've checked out the mod today. I'm loving it, but I'd like to criticise the lowered difficulty level. I'm sorry if this has been discussed, it'd be hard to find in one megathread. All my remarks compare Ultra Violence in classic Doom, Nightmare in Doom 4 and Nightmare in D4d, which I suppose should all present similar challenge.

When you play through the lower levels of Doom 1/Doom 2, you can pretty much run around and beat everything to death with your bare hands without much effort, which I feel is way too easy. It's basically like a constant berserk mode in Doom 4. I think that the following factors contribute to it:

- Fist damage is too high, or melee attack is too fast, or monster health is too low. In Doom 4 you also need 2 melee attacks to kill a zombie or imp, but they take more time than in D4D, making player more vulnerable to counter attack or attack from other monsters. Weakening or slowing down fists could help with this issue.

- Monsters in Doom 4 actively dodge your attack and try to flank you when in melee, forcing you to take more time before killing them and exposing you to counterattack. In D4D...well, I don't know, they die too quickly.

- Player speed seems unchanged from classic Doom, which makes it easy to close the distance very fast. With monster smart-aiming it's very visible, as you can see how ridiculously far the monsters aim when they predict your future position.

- Monsters seem to drop huge amounts of health regardless of how high the player health is. Because of that if you melee weak enemies you will rarely go below ~70. In Doom 4 if you have high health, a glory kill will only give you 5 - a minimal amount.

- You can one shot imps and zombies with shotgun or pistol at a great range. In classic Doom shotgun had greater spread, making it less useful at distance, and the pistol was just too weak to snipe quickly. Both are stronger in the mod. In Doom 4, shotgun has much higher spread, so you can only one-shot stuff practically at Glory Kill range. The pistol one shots zombies at full charge only, doesn't one shot imps, and seems to have bigger spread.

I'm not sure how those issues should be tackled in order to make the mod more challenging and fun. Nevertheless, I wanted to share the criticism. Despite it I'm amazed at the obvious amounts of love and care put into this mod.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

I am actually working on making it more difficult. I agree, it is too easy. I am working to add more difficult aggression for the monsters which is why I included the option to make monsters aim at where you're going to travel, to make it even harder.

I have plans on adding more attacks and deviations so they present a stronger challenge soon.

On top of that, there's the upcoming Rainbow Doom 4 mode which will really add spice, Hot Wings style, to the variety.

The fact you can have an unlimited number of crates certainly doesn't help either. Hence, the planned overhaul. And boy look at those polls, already streaking ahead to be more Doom 2016-esque.

I'm glad people like that idea. But never worry. The randomized drops mode will remain too.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

This is actually one of the best lightnings I've ever seen in doom mods, Lightning Gun's alt fire actually zaps everyone around the spot I'm shooting and BFG9000's both primary and alt fire actually target EVERYONE around the ball. Plus the carrison cannon can bent the arcs of 3D lightning depends on the distance and angle you catch the enemy, this is really awesomely done. Whoever made all this, good job! :D

Too bad this mod is almost unplayable on 5:4 :cry:
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

I appreciate that.

Unplayable on 5:4? What's wrong with it specifically?
MaxRideWizardLord

Major Cooke wrote:Unplayable on 5:4? What's wrong with it specifically?
I believe these screenshots should speak for themselves:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Basically, some hud elements are too wide that they get out of screen, some screen fonts are not tall enough so they look weird and annoying (second screenshot), some text goes out of screen (first screenshot), and worst of all, this unremovable frustrating out-of-place hud sight that is impossible to get rid off which really blocks my view most of the time. No matter where I look in the options, I can't shrink and move the hud size just to see all of the text and have sight that actually in the same line as to where I'm shooting at.

I've actually had to mess in options for quite some time just to scale it so I could be able to see the numbers of ammo at least, but there is still some text are out of bounds. At least it's not as bad as it was on GZDoom 2.2.0. Any chance there will be some 5:4 support in the future?
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Unfortunately the mod was made for larger monitors, within the 11:9 to 11:10 ranges, i.e. 1280x800, so on and so forth. The base size is set to 1024 x 768, and I'll be honest, I have very little knowledge about how to properly resize the mod windows without breaking anything else.
MaxRideWizardLord

Major Cooke wrote:Unfortunately the mod was made for larger monitors, within the 11:9 to 11:10 ranges, i.e. 1280x800, so on and so forth. The base size is set to 1024 x 768, and I'll be honest, I have very little knowledge about how to properly resize the mod windows without breaking anything else.
it's impossible to have different loadout placement of hud for each resolution?

5:4 and 4:3 are common in places where I live, though.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Major Cooke wrote:Unfortunately the mod was made for larger monitors, within the 11:9 to 11:10 ranges, i.e. 1280x800, so on and so forth. The base size is set to 1024 x 768, and I'll be honest, I have very little knowledge about how to properly resize the mod windows without breaking anything else.
This is precisely what the DrawImage flags (DI_SCREEN_CENTER_BOTTOM and all that) are for, if it's a ZScript HUD (if it's SBARINFO, FullscreenOffsets is your guy).

A full list of the flags that can be used with ZScript's HUD drawing functions is found in this file.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”