Abrasion - REDONE

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
so19

Abrasion - REDONE

Post by so19 »

So I've been playing around with an old, dead 3DGE mod called Abrasion. I absolutely loved this bad boy back in the day. The original creator essentially pushed out an alpha release (no longer available) and a beta (which in my view was less good than the original but still good). More info is here:
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/5 ... st-get-it/. KroNoS seems to have been inactive for the community for ages, and I thought I'd take up the mantle of reviving a dead project which I think is awesome, and probably didn't get much of an audience.

Luckily Kronos released 4 YouTube videos of his early work https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClNTc1 ... WYvVIY4Rkw, which I've used for inspiration, and I've used his beta as a bit of base. I've tried to recreate the magic of the original alpha, with my own tweaks, new features and new weapons. So the premise is 3d models with a cell-shaded vibe, a major arsenal of modern-ish but fun weapons, and some awesome gameplay tweaks. I've extensively tweaked my favourite part of the original mod, which was the capacity to grab unalerted grunts as a human shield. This was fun but didn't allow you to attack enemies or do much else. So I've improved this feature drastically - you can now grab a grunt, use him as a shield while shooting a pistol (while doing so, this slows the player movement speed and removes the ability to jump and crouch as, well, you've got a hostage in a headlock). When the hostage ceases to be useful, you can snap his neck or (ridiculously), decapitate him with a shot to the head.

If there's interest, I'm inclined to release as a beta for player feedback. Oh, and its only for 3DGE as that's where the project began under KroNoS. Don't hate on me for it (I've no idea how I'd even begin to turn this into a Zdoom mod). Some videos follow below - in some cases the footage looks a bit rubbish (I've got a poor video card and some of the footage looks washed out - but is fine in game)
Spoiler:
so19

Re: Abrasion - REDONE [Release]

Post by so19 »

Beta release is here: https://mega.nz/#!4xh0hKpY!7QUBTBgUDI8l ... asuoGYpDcs

If you find any bugs or have other issues or feedback, please post a reply
Attachments
ABRASION.png
Crudux Cruo

Re: Abrasion - REDONE

Post by Crudux Cruo »

It's good to see people still working with EDGE. it was a good engine. 3dge doesn't get the attention it deserves really. I'll be sure to give this a try :)

EDIT:
I tried it.

In the manual it says there are altfires... the only gun with an altfire is the fists and the glock (that I saw). are these just not in yet?
The levels are nice, but dark. do we have a flashlight of some sort?
None of the weapons except for the sniper rifle have a zoom feature
will some sort of a quick kick/attack be added with the weapon function keys?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”