Dead Marine REDUX (V1.9.2)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
durbdoogle

Re: Dead Marine REDUX (V1.3) - FIRE EVERYWHERE

Post by durbdoogle »

LOLANONIMUS wrote:
I always use it and well it didn't work
I've tried this on Delta Touch with the Dev version selected and it works for me. This is without any other mods loaded, just Dead Marine Redux.
mrtaterz
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Dead Marine REDUX (V1.3) - FIRE EVERYWHERE

Post by mrtaterz »

I plan on releasing a Mobile/Delta Touch version that rips a couple of features out for convenience (noslide removed, autofire enabled for Rifle).

Let me know what features/things you would want for a Mobile version.

Also, make sure you are waiting for Dead Marine Redux to load on your phone because it is a big mod and may take time to get to the menu.
mrtaterz

Dead Marine REDUX (V1.4) - ARMOR PIERCING ROUNDS!!!

Post by mrtaterz »

Dead Marine Redux v1.4
  • Armor-Piercing Rounds have been added. The Berserk Pack of Dead Marine Redux. Deal double damage with all weapons, all map, once activated.
  • Former Commandos now properly shoot both of their Chainguns at you. This is not good for you. They will now have double the weapon spread of the player, but will shoot two projectiles now instead of one. Try to keep your distance.
  • More lore/flavor text for: Chainsaw, Experimental Rocket Grenade Launcher, Knife, Hand Grenade, Plasma Gun.
  • Shortened the Cooldown of the Carbine.
  • Added Cooldown to Grenade Launcher. Not in Mobile version due to balancing reasons.
  • Pyro Cannon simplified and nerfed.
  • Carbine pickup sprite looks like it has a grenade launcher on it.
  • Reduced camera shake from being shot at by Former Commandos.
  • Buffed Hand Grenades/Carbine Grenade Launcher again. They do more damage, and have more nails. Nail randomization has been turned on to allow critical hits. They will shake your screen when they explode near you, and this fades over a long distance; this can be used as an indicator for their explosion going off.
  • Several factors have been changed for: Former Human, Former Commando, Former Elite Human. They should flinch more often when hit with Armor Piercing rounds.
  • Spawnfilter for Mobile and Main Build are separate; Mobile uses Hurt Me Plenty and the Main Build uses Nightmare/Ultra-Violence
  • Buffed Adrenaline for Main Build.
Last edited by mrtaterz on Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
mrtaterz

Dead Marine REDUX Mobile

Post by mrtaterz »

MOBILE UPDATE! go to settings in aim assist and set On Obstruction to Aim Correction.

Click here to download Dead Marine REDUX Mobile for Delta Touch!
durbdoogle

Re: Dead Marine REDUX Mobile

Post by durbdoogle »

mrtaterz wrote:MOBILE UPDATE! go to settings in aim assist and set On Obstruction to Aim Correction.

Oh neat, thanks for implementing a mobile friendly version! People can scoff all they want, Delta Touch is a godsend.
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

durbdoogle wrote:
mrtaterz wrote:MOBILE UPDATE! go to settings in aim assist and set On Obstruction to Aim Correction.

Oh neat, thanks for implementing a mobile friendly version! People can scoff all they want, Delta Touch is a godsend.
I refuse to believe the people that browse these forums aren't all Doom-addicted drones that all have Delta Touch installed on their phones. If I could run Doom on my left ass cheek I probably would.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

mrtaterz wrote:
I refuse to believe the people that browse these forums aren't all Doom-addicted drones that all have Delta Touch installed on their phones. If I could run Doom on my left ass cheek I probably would.
*Raises Hand*

Yo.

Need to keep Doom off my phone otherwise I'd wander into traffic playing it. And the traffic here involves fully-loaded Peterbilts and Macs doing 100 down the main road.
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

Gideon020 wrote:
mrtaterz wrote:
*Raises Hand*

Yo.

Need to keep Doom off my phone otherwise I'd wander into traffic playing it. And the traffic here involves fully-loaded Peterbilts and Macs doing 100 down the main road.
This is a healthy lifestyle to have. I will miss my stop on the bus trying to get through KDITD.
LOLANONIMUS

Re: Dead Marine REDUX (V1.4) - MOBILE/DELTA TOUCH UPDATE

Post by LOLANONIMUS »

Hello, to the mod could you add an rpg of weapon upgrades?
Cardboard Marty

Post by Cardboard Marty »

I've tried writing this post a couple of times and I want to make sure that I get it right because my goal here is not to discourage you or make you stop working on this. I had very little familiarity with Dead Marine before I played this version, and my initial impression was that Redux felt like a Vanilla+/Vanilla Enhancement mod with a bunch of random stuff thrown in. Playing the original version after playing this, it turns out that's exactly the case.

I think most of my problems stem from the fact that the original Dead Marine indeed was a vanilla enhancement mod with a pretty solid goal. Just going by Gifty's original ReadMe.txt (still included in the PK3):
Dead Marine is a weapons/gore/HUD/general enhancement mod which aims to make Doom moodier, make the combat punchier, and generally spice up the game without changing any of the gameplay or mechanics. All additions are meant to be "lore-friendly" and look as close to Id's original style as possible.
Which in general just goes against almost everything added in this Redux version. I think what you're doing could work if there was more consideration put into these additions, but a majority of the things I've seen you add have been independently made by someone else. I know some of this stuff doesn't require permission to be used, but it seems a bit suspect that all of the additions are things that have been released on the resource sub-forum or Realm667. I think what made me raise an eyebrow the most is the addition of DarkDoomZ, which is still actively being worked on and could ideally just be loaded as a separate PK3. There is also an issue that (I believe) has present ever since it was been added which is the weapon sway cutting off weapon sprites when looking up and down. I'm not entirely sure why something like that would be implemented if it's been broken since day one, and nothing about the sprites were changed to compensate for it. Normally what I would recommend is adjusting the code to not push the sprite up so far, but I don't think that's a viable option considering the following...

It looks like everything you've added has just been thrown into the root directory of the PK3. It would explain the host of errors when starting the game because this is an absolute mess internally. You have 28 files just named "DECORATE", 14 named "ZScript", two KEYCONFs, and a ton of other random credit files from the original WADs and PK3s you copied the content from. If this was something you made from scratch, I'd totally understand, but you started with a really good base in Dead Marine, which has more than enough examples of clean, proper file structure. The DECORATE file that was originally in Dead Marine even shows you how Gifty used #include, an extremely helpful directive to remove clutter and make it easier for you to find errors. Almost all of these could be consolidated into independently named files, and again I have to stress that this is mostly beneficial to YOU because without it, all GZDoom is going to show you is that there is an error in a file named DECORATE on line 123 and you're going to have to search through the 28 files named DECORATE in order to figure out what's wrong. I think you should really take some time to understand how these files work rather than throwing them into your mod, it'd be a really good learning experience and it'd help you learn how everything works better.

Outside of that, the gameplay is also really unpolished. The new weapon additions (rifle, grenade especially) feel so lifeless compared to the weaponry that came from Dead Marine. I'm not entirely sure I've ever heard of anyone positively describing enemies as "bullet-spongey". It's artificial difficulty. An enemy being hard to kill because of how they're used, placed on a map, or their unique attacks are ALWAYS going to be more fun than an enemy who is hard to kill because there's an extra zero added to its health. I have no problem with enemies being hard to deal with or gameplay being difficult, but here I don't think there is enough consideration and understanding to make it fun and engaging for the player. The enemy roster feels very misplaced and misused because of this, with Archvile replacements being extremely easy to kill and the Spider Mastermind being just straight up the Hell Knight from the very very recently released Legion of Bones (which come on, it hasn't even been out for a month and you're just straight up using it wholesale). Not to mention removing saving is a huge misstep for a gameplay mod that doesn't include levels. Are you expecting a Soulsphere on every map? What about situations where you need +100 health and instead of a Soulsphere before a fight, you get a save? That seems like a glaring error to me.

All in all, I want to stress that I think I can see what you're trying to do with this, but I think you need to go back to the basics and try working on something of your own first. Making something from the ground up is going to give you a better understanding of Doom and its gameplay, it'll help you tailor extra additions better, and you'll learn a ton along the way. It's clear you're wanting to do something vastly different from Dead Marine anyways, perhaps making your own brand new weapons and enemies will help you accomplish what you're aiming for. As it stands right now, I don't think you're going to be learning much when you're just copying and pasting wads and PK3s into your own mod without understanding how any of it truly works.
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

I have made some deep considerations on organizing the #include files. I have pretty much done almost all I can do in regards to adding content and need to optimize/clean up the files that have been added.

Once I get to that point, I can start to pick and choose what should be kept, what should be modified, etc;

Most of the content added into this mod was ripped from someone else, yes, with proper credit and sprite edits where needed. I have never claimed to make the content that appears in my mod (and even have credits and links to contributors and modders in patch note updates). Also I directly asked SpacemanStrife if I could use his Slayer Knight for my project.

Thanks to reading what other people do and working with this mod, I have been able to write my own DECORATE scripts and make my own sprite edits (the new Armor Piercing powerup is an example).

I also see legitimate gameplay criticism (such as item replacements) and I think I agree with you here. The Savegame item was an experiment I did and it didn't work out. I am going to replace this with a Soulsphere equivalent of some sort. I appreciate your feedback, especially on the organizational level (I still have no idea what I am doing in regards to organization and my brain is a cluttered mess regardless so cleaning up the code is going to be fun).

The Archvile being a sniper made sense to me at one point because people tend to put the Archvile into sneaky spots sometimes where it's hard to see him, maybe behind a couple of bars where he can peep at you and take potshots. I've played a couple of WADs that do this trick and it seemed to work fine. Obviously it varies from map to map.

Also, the bullet-sponginess is somewhat purposeful. You are fighting Zombies, and I wanted to incentivize using the headshot mechanic, hence why Zombies are more likely to enter a painstate when shot in the head. You are playing as a lone Marine deep in shit.

Overall I appreciate that you took the time to even write any of this out, because it means you care. I will get to work on fixing up and cleaning this mess up ASAP and then move onto the next goal from there. I may also take your monster replacement feedback and see what I can do with it but that won't be for awhile.

EDIT: As for the assets I plan on phasing out some of these sprites eventually. I need to make edits of my own.

Also, high health basic enemies are fun to me if they're designed well. The Imps have 100 HP. They are obviously the tanks of this mod; there are so many enemies in this mod that are supposed to be high health enemies that are just basic Former Humans that you have to have some sort of tank enemy in the basic roster. I just went through E1M1 for the 100th time on my mod and I still found having to deal with the two Imps up top on the raised platform fun because they're a puzzle, and extended fights can be challenging for me, and I personally like that. I was thinking about lowering their HP down to 90, just to make it a little easier to hit that sweetspot or get a critical hit and do high damage.
mrtaterz

Dead Marine REDUX (V1.5) - MICE!

Post by mrtaterz »

DEAD MARINE v1.5
  • First Aid Kits now heal over time just like Adrenaline Boosters.
  • Adrenaline Boosters carry limit reduced from 5 to 3.
  • First Aid Kit carry limit increased from 1 to 3.
  • Reduced Adrenaline Booster healing tics; increased healing per tic.
  • Sentry Gun carry limit increased from 1 to 3.
  • Hurt Me Plenty spawn filter brought back. This will stay permanent.
  • Some code clean up.
  • Imp health reduced from 100 to 90
  • Imp delay between firing removed.
  • Imp speed reduced from 6 down to 5; went down from 12 to 10 in Fast Monsters.
  • Mice!
The Pistol and Rifles have had their roles further specialized:
  • Pistol damage reduced from 6 to 3.
  • Pistol spread increased from 1.5 to 2.
  • Pistol rate of fire increased.
  • Rifle damage increased from 3 to 6.
  • Rifle burst fire rate of fire increased.
  • Rifle delay between shots increased.
  • Handling of Rifle has been improved.
Mobile Updates:
  • Aggressiveness of enemies reduced.
  • Spawn Filter set to I'm Too Young Too Die/Hey, Not Too Rough
mrtaterz

Dead Marine REDUX (V1.5b)

Post by mrtaterz »

Dead Marine V1.5B
  • More code clean up, less errors.
  • Soulsphere replaced with a Supply Pack containing armor, a backpack and a first aid kit.
  • Fists on Pistol altfire has had it's speed and damage slightly increased.
  • Knife swing has been adjusted and damage increased, as well as a slight range increase.
  • ArmorPiercing Damagetype has been added in MAPINFO along with certain enemies having vulnerabilities to it.
  • Former Sargent's will now Refire and are considered highly aggressive enemies.
  • Random loot spawner rebalanced.
-Ghost-

Re: Dead Marine REDUX (V1.5b) - he made melee viable

Post by -Ghost- »

The adrenaline boosters might be better off as just regular healing items; it would help prioritize first aid kits more as portable help.
mrtaterz

Re: Dead Marine REDUX (V1.5b) - he made melee viable

Post by mrtaterz »

-Ghost- wrote:The adrenaline boosters might be better off as just regular healing items; it would help prioritize first aid kits more as portable help.
ok yeah but i added in mice tho

Return to “Gameplay Mods”