Nash's Gore Mod: Vengeance Edition v1.01 HOTFIX

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dark-Assassin

Re: Nash's Gore Mod: Vengeance Edition v1.0 OFFICIAL RELEASE

Post by Dark-Assassin »

One thing I noticed is that the blood splashes appear out of nowhere, like the flying sprite for them is missing.
Also I feel the blood spurts fade out a little too quickly.
And think you could make it so the corpse blood doesn't shrink when you walk over it? I didn't even like that Duke3D done that.
making4

Post by making4 »

Possible bug while playing Hexen - in Guardian of Steel, there are these two sliding walls on the lower level that are activated by switches NE and SE, and NW and SW on the main level.

While clearing the western sliding wall, I killed a monster in its track while it was open. Now the wall can't move - it's either stuck on the monster corpse or some other bit of gore near it. Even quitting and reloading leaves the stuck monster.
making4

Post by making4 »

Update to that - I just saw the "Clear Gore Now" option in the menu and that freed the wall.
Nash

Post by Nash »

making4 wrote:Possible bug while playing Hexen - in Guardian of Steel, there are these two sliding walls on the lower level that are activated by switches NE and SE, and NW and SW on the main level.
Please give me the exact map name so that I can teleport to it quickly (as in, the map lump name, so that I can use the console to teleport to the exact map), and also the exact coordinates where I can quickly trigger this behaviour. Type idmypos 1 in the console to see your coordinates.

Anything you can give to help me quickly produce this bug will mean it will be faster to fix. :)
making4

Post by making4 »

I'm well past Guardian of Steel now, but I just observed a similar behavior with an enemy (serpent/dragon) colliding with a revolving door.
Go to Hexen MAP27 - Heresiarch's Seminary. The revolving door is at (x,y,z) (1361, -2721, -192). To activate it, you'll need to destroy two trees and pull a switch at (2177, -2961, -320). Return to the door after pulling the switch and the enemy should walk into it, be injured, spawn a gib or blood splatter, and stick the door animation. I killed the enemy at this point through the gap, and the door remained stuck until I ran "Clear Gore Now" again.

The only other files I'm loading are lights and brightmaps, with nashgore loading last. GZDoom is 4.1.3.

Thanks!
Nash

Post by Nash »

@making4: thanks :) I'm filing this on the Github issue tracker so I won't forget.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Can you add an option to disable gibs on un-gibbed corpses?
Nash

Post by Nash »

Bobby wrote:Can you add an option to disable gibs on un-gibbed corpses?
I don't understand. What do you mean exactly? If it's monsters with no XDeath frames somehow spawning flying gibs, that's a bug that is already fixed on the latest Github builds.

If not, please explain exactly.
Alptraum
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Alptraum »

I assume it works with Colourful Hell too, right ^^ ?
BerserkerNoir

Post by BerserkerNoir »

Alptraum wrote:I assume it works with Colourful Hell too, right ^^ ?
Oh yeah it Does, and the mess you make is worth of the name Colourful.
Alptraum
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Alptraum »

BerserkerNoir wrote:
Alptraum wrote:I assume it works with Colourful Hell too, right ^^ ?
Oh yeah it Does, and the mess you make is worth of the name Colourful.
Nice xD
Renzokuken

Post by Renzokuken »

For whatever reason, gibs spawned by blowing up pinkies have collision and block the player when used with some maps and mods. IF you continue to run into them, the object shrinks and disappears, allowing you through again, but it's still an issue that can lead to a number of really annoying deaths.

I've first noticed this on Going Down's Map03, which involves a number of tight tunnels crowded with pinkies. I have no idea what causes them to have collision, and it doesn't matter where gd.wad is in the load order. Most maps and mods work absolutely fine with it, and it only seems to be pinkies that cause this problem.
I also experienced same Hexen glitch that making4 encountered, in the exact same area, meaning it's not a one-off problem.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Renzokuken wrote:For whatever reason, gibs spawned by blowing up pinkies have collision and block the player when used with some maps and mods. IF you continue to run into them, the object shrinks and disappears, allowing you through again, but it's still an issue that can lead to a number of really annoying deaths.
Sounds like you are using the 0.9 beta, which is very old! Are you sure you're using v1.0?
Renzokuken

Post by Renzokuken »

Nash wrote:Sounds like you are using the 0.9 beta, which is very old! Are you sure you're using v1.0?
It turns out that I was, and I just assumed I was using the latest. I should have questioned when the Smooth Doom patch didn't seem to do anything and you explicitly said that 0.9 had it built in.

It's fixed now, thanks. And while I'm here I'll heap the praise on: It's glorious. This hits a special sweet spot that none of the other gore mods seem to have, they all look just a little off while yours feels chunky and pixal-y and like something that could conceivably be part of the game normally.

EDIT: Unfortunately, now I've encountered a Smoothdoom specific bug. When Smoothdoom is loaded first, Imp fireballs flicker between their normal sprites, and what look like blood splatters from bullet impacts. This makes it incredibly difficult to dodge them.

When Nashgore is loaded first (the patch loading before or after Smoothdoom doesn't seem to matter) all bullet impacts on enemies are replaced with tiny red fireball looking things. I'm assuming they're frames from Smoothdoom's Imp fireballs. This happens with the latest Smoothdoom and Nashgore and didn't happen in the 0.9 beta. There's no gameplay issues with using both together, just that visual bug. It's only Imp projectiles, none of the other monsters or weapons seem to be effected, and it happens regardless of map or wad.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Renzokuken wrote:
Nash wrote:Sounds like you are using the 0.9 beta, which is very old! Are you sure you're using v1.0?
It turns out that I was, and I just assumed I was using the latest. I should have questioned when the Smooth Doom patch didn't seem to do anything and you explicitly said that 0.9 had it built in.

It's fixed now, thanks. And while I'm here I'll heap the praise on: It's glorious. This hits a special sweet spot that none of the other gore mods seem to have, they all look just a little off while yours feels chunky and pixal-y and like something that could conceivably be part of the game normally.

EDIT: Unfortunately, now I've encountered a Smoothdoom specific bug. When Smoothdoom is loaded first, Imp fireballs flicker between their normal sprites, and what look like blood splatters from bullet impacts. This makes it incredibly difficult to dodge them.

When Nashgore is loaded first (the patch loading before or after Smoothdoom doesn't seem to matter) all bullet impacts on enemies are replaced with tiny red fireball looking things. I'm assuming they're frames from Smoothdoom's Imp fireballs. This happens with the latest Smoothdoom and Nashgore and didn't happen in the 0.9 beta. There's no gameplay issues with using both together, just that visual bug. It's only Imp projectiles, none of the other monsters or weapons seem to be effected, and it happens regardless of map or wad.
Thank you! Glad you're enjoying the mod. :)

About the Smooth Doom flickering thingy - yeah, this was reported shortly after v1.0 is released, and was fixed after the fact. It will be fixed in the next official release... however, I don't have an ETA on when the next release will be out, but if you don't mind playing development builds, you can head on to the Github and download the latest in-dev version of the mod there. :)

The link to the Github repo is on the first post.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”