[WIP] Neural Network Upscaled Flats/Patches

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Phredreeke

[WIP] Neural Network Upscaled Flats/Patches

Post by Phredreeke »

People who are into Duke Nukem 3D or Blood may already know of my upscales for those games.

Anyway, I'm posting these here to see if there's any interest in something similar here. I am not doing sprites because 1. I've not gotten satisfactory results for most of them. and 2. there's already this project

I am doing this using multiple ESRGAN models and PSP scripts to combine them. Anyway, a picture tells a thousand words.

Also, some slide-over comparisons

https://imgsli.com/NTczOQ
https://imgsli.com/NTc0MA
https://imgsli.com/NTc0MQ

Feedback is much appreciated!
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] Neural Network Upscaled Flats/Patches

Post by Darkcrafter »

All these textures still need addtitional work on them, but this already starting to look better. Would be nice to see if there is anything that can be done in order to train a custom model exclusively for Doom.
MFG38
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by MFG38 »

Darkcrafter wrote:Would be nice to see if there is anything that can be done in order to train a custom model exclusively for Doom.
I'm fairly sure that's a possibility. After all, AI has seen quite some advancements recently.
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Samarai1000 »

Normally I'm not a fan of "Doom but HIGH DEFINITION!!!111ONE" mods, but I actually quite like the look of these. The way they're more 'detailed' but are still visibly pixelated reminds me of later-but-still-classic FPS games. It's a nice mix between being more detailed whilst still getting your brain to fill in the gaps. The bookshelf and corpse flats especially remind me of Blood.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darkcrafter »

I personally still prefer playing modern gzdoom with pixelated look: the smallest scale factor - pixelated + none at textures without anisotropy and any kind of anti-aliasing. I just like it. Despite that bullshit I just typed above. Hi-Res stuff is still needed because a good hi-res texture looks good even at low resolutions.
Phredreeke

Post by Phredreeke »

Alright, I finally got around adding them to the actual game. Here's a few screens.
Spoiler:
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

There already is a massive project to use Neural Network techniques to upscale every resource in the Doom/Doom2 wad.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/9 ... pscale-2x/

In fact, the project is now fully compliant with the Minor Spritefix wad that repaired dozens of mistakes in the vanilla doom gfx. The work you've done here looks really good, don't get me wrong... but I don't know if it's necessary to have TWO concurrent Neural Net projects running at the same time, especially considering one of them is 100% completed.
dmslr

Post by dmslr »

@Scuba Steve it would be very cool if there was a project with only upscaled textures (w/o sprites and fonts). Do you think hidfan would release the version with only textures?
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

It's easy enough, you could do it yourself in a matter of minutes. Open the pk3 and navigate the FILTER/DOOMX/HIRES and delete every folder that isn't TEXTURES or FLATS.
dmslr

Post by dmslr »

yeah i deleted and... everything is now invisible
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

You also need to delete the SPRITES/SOUNDS base folders as well. They were needed to make the sprites work properly, but if you deleted the HIRES sprites, you'll need to delete these folders as well. You can also delete the DECORATE.DEC file too.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

Actually... there might still be a use for this project. The Neural Upscale project I linked to used the Nvidia Super Resolution AI to produce the current results, but Nvidia has taken it offline... so we are unable to complete Final Doom's textures. If you're interested in continuing this project, might I suggest you start with the Final Doom resources (Plutonia and Evolution)? I did some overlay comparisons and the work here is comparable to what was produced for the other upscaled project, it would be great to have a complete resource containing 2x scaled textures for EVERY official id software released project and we could merge both projects together.
Phredreeke

Post by Phredreeke »

Sure. Do you have a list of what textures need upscaling?

Edit: Do the new textures all have unique names relative to the base Doom 2 textures? Because if that's the case I think I can make a simple script to sort them out.

Edit 2: Slide-over comparison for Plutonia's A-VINE3 https://imgsli.com/NjE2OA
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

That looks pretty good. It seems to keep the color tones equivalent to the original too. I recall the labor intensive part is making sure the seams line up properly when titled... running them through the AI was the easy part :P Also, the grueling task of proper alpha masks on transparent textures was a pain.
Phredreeke

Post by Phredreeke »

My way of dealing with tiling is repeat some of the opposite side on the edges of the texture. I added some green lines here to show where the texture repeats, this is then cropped out at the end of the process (I am assuming for these that the texture tiles horizontally but not vertically, but it can easily be adapted to work bidirectionally, as I did for the flats in my above upscale)

and yeah, making transparency masks is a pain.

(in addition to Final Doom, would there be interest in Perdition's Gate as I believe it was at one point meant to be the third episode of Final Doom)

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”