About page still says XP is supported

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

mjr4077au
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

About page still says XP is supported

Post by mjr4077au »

https://zdoom.org/about
It runs well under all modern versions of Windows, from Windows XP to the new Windows 10. If you have Mac or Linux, it works with that too.
If Windows XP support has ended, this text should be updated to avoid confusion. I saw XP support was still a discussion even in the 4.2.0 release post on the forum.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: About page still says XP is supported

Post by Rachael »

There's a lot that needs to be updated on that page...
mjr4077au

Post by mjr4077au »

Rachael wrote:There's a lot that needs to be updated on that page...
No problems at all :)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

What I mean, specifically, is that it's going to be a bit of a project to update that page. It's also misleading at some points, and needs clarification. For instance, it's referring to ZDoom, when the last version of ZDoom was 2.8.1, which as far as I know supported Windows 98.

It also mentions QZDoom, which is no longer quite the big player that it used to be. It's mostly used for testing popular pull requests, and is not actively developed.

It fails to mention LZDoom, which works on older systems, including older OS's, though I don't know how old. I think some of the recent coding that Graf did may force drfrag to use MinGW-64 which will only compile for XP and above, anyway - since it uses C runtime files that are not available in earlier versions.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I use VS 2017 for releases so XP minimum. I even switched to VS for ZDoom32 and LE but for those there are also MinGW builds for compatibility with 98.
MinGW-w64 is too shitty to make releases. In theory 98 could be possible creating a custom cross compiler and using unicode extensions and KernelEX.
MinGW (TDM-GCC) still worked not long ago and i even tried it without sound but there were serious problems.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Considering how tiny the XP share was even in the first 3.3 survey, does it really make much sense to think about Window 98 compatibility? There's maybe 10 people in the world who would want to run a modern engine like GZDoom on such toaster systems... :twisted:
mjr4077au

Post by mjr4077au »

Rachael wrote:What I mean, specifically, is that it's going to be a bit of a project to update that page. It's also misleading at some points, and needs clarification. For instance, it's referring to ZDoom, when the last version of ZDoom was 2.8.1, which as far as I know supported Windows 98.

It also mentions QZDoom, which is no longer quite the big player that it used to be. It's mostly used for testing popular pull requests, and is not actively developed.

It fails to mention LZDoom, which works on older systems, including older OS's, though I don't know how old. I think some of the recent coding that Graf did may force drfrag to use MinGW-64 which will only compile for XP and above, anyway - since it uses C runtime files that are not available in earlier versions.
That's OK, I understand :). I didn't mean to sound blasé in my reply. It sounds like the About page is well-known, I just thought perhaps it might have been forgotten. Even a quick update to remove XP might stop people from banging on about XP and support for it, etc.
drfrag wrote:I use VS 2017 for releases so XP minimum. I even switched to VS for ZDoom32 and LE but for those there are also MinGW builds for compatibility with 98.
MinGW-w64 is too shitty to make releases. In theory 98 could be possible creating a custom cross compiler and using unicode extensions and KernelEX.
MinGW (TDM-GCC) still worked not long ago and i even tried it without sound but there were serious problems.
Graf Zahl wrote:Considering how tiny the XP share was even in the first 3.3 survey, does it really make much sense to think about Window 98 compatibility? There's maybe 10 people in the world who would want to run a modern engine like GZDoom on such toaster systems... :twisted:
As a retro enthusiast with several old AT machines, this kind of excites me but at the same time, (G)ZDoom and how good it is has kind of ruined Doom on retro hardware for me. I find it very, very hard to go back to Doom 1.9 on DOS, to the point where I even bought a UM-ONE so I could hook my SC-55 up into my Windows 10 PC ;)

Return to “ZDoom.org Bugs”