Wrath of Cronos RPG V3A

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Exeor

Re: Wrath of Cronos RPG V2.2 (Strife version hotfix patched)

Post by Exeor »

Exeor wrote:I don't know if this was reported before but the extra monster file is not compatible with the last version of Wrath of Cronos.
Also I noticed how the enemy health bar doesn't display for some reason most of the time in Hexen. However playing Doom or Heretic works always fine.
After a few tries I found what was wrong, you must load wrathofcronosv2.2doompatch.pk3 BEFORE wrathofcronosv2.2doomextramons.pk3 even if you want to use it in Hexen, the order of the patches is sometimes a bit confused but I managed to made it work with that file finally! :mrgreen:

Sorry for the double post btw.
DarkkOne
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Widnows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by DarkkOne »

I'm having a little trouble. Is there a pre-requisite for selecting path? I'm not finding a good explanation of how you choose path/specialization, and in-game the menu just says press my use key on "bottom". Tried pressing use on everything on that screen and not much seems to be happening.
SallazarSpellcaster

Post by SallazarSpellcaster »

DarkkOne wrote:I'm having a little trouble. Is there a pre-requisite for selecting path? I'm not finding a good explanation of how you choose path/specialization, and in-game the menu just says press my use key on "bottom". Tried pressing use on everything on that screen and not much seems to be happening.
When you reach level 15, a button appears on the menu that says "Choose Path," you press it, and bingo.
DarkkOne
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Widnows 11

Post by DarkkOne »

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:
DarkkOne wrote:I'm having a little trouble. Is there a pre-requisite for selecting path? I'm not finding a good explanation of how you choose path/specialization, and in-game the menu just says press my use key on "bottom". Tried pressing use on everything on that screen and not much seems to be happening.
When you reach level 15, a button appears on the menu that says "Choose Path," you press it, and bingo.
Ah. I thought it might be something like that. I checked back at 10, since that seemed a reasonable guess, but I wanted to ask here as well since it doesn't say anything, and I didn't want to just like... push on forever just hoping it wasn't broken. Thanks!
Tacgnol9001

Post by Tacgnol9001 »

Is there anyway of integrating the upscaled weapons from the Hexen neural upscale mods? Loading the neural upscale pk3 after wrath of cronos causes most of the textures to be replaced correctly, but it causes some strange size issues with some of the fighter weapons. The left arm of the spiked gauntlet punch animation in particular is oversized.

It's a shame as the upscaling adds a lot of detail to the weapons.
r&r

Post by r&r »

This mod doesn't work on the latest GZDoom v4.2.0
it was working before I overwrite with the new version.
Turin Turambar

Post by Turin Turambar »

r&r wrote:This mod doesn't work on the latest GZDoom v4.2.0
There is a fixed version in the previous page.

What I couldn't get to work was the monster pack.
r&r

Post by r&r »

Turin Turambar wrote:
r&r wrote:This mod doesn't work on the latest GZDoom v4.2.0
There is a fixed version in the previous page.

What I couldn't get to work was the monster pack.
Ah ok I guess that means the monster pack need to be patch up/fixed
Exeor

Post by Exeor »

If you are hungry for some mods using the exclusive content of WoC, I made a campaign in beta state which uses a lot of features of WoC (I have plans to do a vanilla version without custom monsters in the future), it uses a lot of scripts for the spawns so you will never see the elite monster variants the first hours of the game :wink:
It uses the 2.2 version, if Thetis keeps updating his mod, I will keep the campaign up to date for my part!

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65993
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by irontusk341 »

Exeor wrote:If you are hungry for some mods using the exclusive content of WoC, I made a campaign in beta state which uses a lot of features of WoC (I have plans to do a vanilla version without custom monsters in the future), it uses a lot of scripts for the spawns so you will never see the elite monster variants the first hours of the game :wink:
It uses the 2.2 version, if Thetis keeps updating his mod, I will keep the campaign up to date for my part!

i considered making a Hexen based openworld game called Aetherius. kinda like Hexen meets FF: Mystic Quest. Where you gather 4 Gems (earth, air, fire and water) and use it to open the door to the locked fortress and defeat a terrible tyrant.

but i abandoned it for diablo 3d.
zombie_ryushu

Post by zombie_ryushu »

Does version 2.2 still crash Servers moving from one level, to another one in Hexen? I have tried 2.2 with A New World, Scourge of Viscerus, and Vanilla. In all cases, v2.2 causes the servers run by TSPG to crash.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

irontusk341 wrote:
Exeor wrote:If you are hungry for some mods using the exclusive content of WoC, I made a campaign in beta state which uses a lot of features of WoC (I have plans to do a vanilla version without custom monsters in the future), it uses a lot of scripts for the spawns so you will never see the elite monster variants the first hours of the game :wink:

i considered making a Hexen based openworld game called Aetherius. kinda like Hexen meets FF: Mystic Quest. Where you gather 4 Gems (earth, air, fire and water) and use it to open the door to the locked fortress and defeat a terrible tyrant.

You mean Quake? :-P
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by irontusk341 »

Valherran wrote:
irontusk341 wrote:

You mean Quake? :-P
A Quake FPS/RPG would be nice....
zombie_ryushu

Post by zombie_ryushu »

Would anyone like to offer technical consultation and bug testing for my Wrath of Cronos mod?
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

I'm glad that this mod is still being developed, but I really must give my "two cents".

First, I really enjoy the new Skill the Magic Barrier, something that Mage really been needing for the longest time since beginning, despite it's eating mana way too much. However, I do miss the Blink skill even more, as it was just essential to beat some of the maps. As you know, the mage is slow, probably the slowest class of the five; some maps are physically impossible to beat without it, for example some of the Chillax maps, since mage is too slow to run from one switch to the other before time runs out, no matter how hard you're speedrun it with abusing strats like W+D\A airstrafing bhop, SR50 and whatnot. Agility is the least thing you'd spend your points on Mage anyway (along with strength).
Perhaps it should return, but as an built-in the unique niche of the class that you can bind on separate button? The blink ability, like the Mage have in Lichdom: Battlemage fps, or the new upcoming Doom Eternal. This would really helpful for a class that is slow and is very fragile, and must rely a lot on dodging. And then again, some maps are simple impossible to beat without it.

Also, I'm very upset with rather unfair and unneeded telekinesis nerf. This was basically the only skill available for mage to survive an insane spam of projectiles that you get on Chilax since it's pulse spam lasted for 3 second, and the fact it does no damage now kinda ruin it's niche of the spell. This one really need a revert, maybe make it last for 2 seconds but do pulse spam more rapid instead, and the damage should return.

There is one bug with bloodscourge, the damage of the piercing fireballs do not scale with the Intellect that you keep increasing up, even though this is essentially where the most usefulness came from the Bloodscourge from original HeXen game. Makes it pretty much an useless weapon, especially on level 900 where it can't kill a single ettin even if you shoot for 10 times in a row with it.

As for other classes... Well, holy light is still insanely overpowered, a single use is enough for me to wipe the whole level full of ettins, especially if you use it along with fury aura and spend most points to intellect, then even serpents couldn't stand against it. Hell, it even oneshots Death Wyvern like no problem. But hey, cleric won't be cleric if he's not overpowered.

I also miss the fact that on difficulties like "I'm too young to die" and "Hey, not so rough" you get 4 stats to spend per level, and on "Nightmare!" you get 2 stats to spend per level. Perhaps, you could add the option that adjust the amount of how many stats you get per level, and put it in Wrath of Cronos options?? That would help a lot of users, and adjust the gameplay for each one's preference, which in turn would make the mod more enjoyeble.

And another thing that really been bother me about Wrath of Cronos since like 1.6 or maybe even earlier update. The monster scale in damage and HP WAY too much, for some classes, especially the mage, that means the higher you're level = the weaker you actually are. At level like, starting 300 or so, pretty much any imp or ettin can just one shot you, especially dangerous were revenants that were a death sentence to any mage when he's got surrounded, as that onehit death almost all of the time, and that just feels so wrong. Even if you spend like 90% of your points in to constitution, thus in turn leaving most of your guns weak and make monsters feel like some very tough bullet sponges, it only saved you mostly from a single imp's fire ball, while revenant missile would still wreck you up. Some classes, like fighter and cleric, actually scale up higher than the monsters, thus with each level they actually get more tankies AND stronger than NPC, EVEN if you don't spend a single point toward constitution and spend most either for agility or wisdom, or to increase damage of your weapons. This felt incredible unfair and discrimination toward necromancer and especially mage.

Any chance you would add damage\hp scale for enemies per level? That would help a lot of people to keep enjoyment of the mod once you reach reasonably high level.

Also, why exactly the level limit was added? I remember back in the zandronum days, I once got like level +5000 as cleric and my weapons were SO powerful, they did negative damage. I.e. healed enemies. Good times. Perhaps add some console command that would remove the level limit? Also, the console command to remove speed limit and jump limit, there is nothing better than running at the lightspeed and above as hunter.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”