Fluidsynth and Timidity++ both not working on Linux

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
kaleb.

Fluidsynth and Timidity++ both not working on Linux

Post by kaleb. »

Using the latest GZDoom 4.1.3 I cannot get either Fluidsynth nor Timidity++ working despite both being installed.

Trying to use Fluidsynth displays this error:
Could not load libfluidsynth.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Trying to use Timidity++ just says:
Unable to create Timidity++ MIDI device. Falling back to Fluidsynth
I'm using Solus Linux and I'm really at a loss here. I really don't wanna use OPL....
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Fluidsynth and Timidity++ both not working on Linux

Post by Graf Zahl »

FluidSynth: It looks like you got version 2 installed. As of right now, GZDoom requires version 1.
Timidity++: GZDoom does not use the system-provided installation - it contains a stripped down version of Timidity++ tailored to its own MIDI sequencer. You need to set it up so that the sound font can be found by GZDoom, for specfics wait for someone with better Linux knowledge to give more info.
kaleb.

Post by kaleb. »

Yep, I compiled the last version of Fluidsynth 1 and replaced all other Fluidsynth files on my computer and it's working nice and dandy now, thanks Graf 👍
axredneck
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by axredneck »

How can i compile GZDoom without Fluidsynth?
Arch Linux doesn't have Fluidsynth 1.x even in AUR, and GZDoom complains about missing libfluidsynth.so.1 for me.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Switch to any other MIDI device, and GZDoom will no longer try to load FluidSynth library.

Return to “Technical Issues”