LZDOOM 3.8.2 Rescaling Issues. HELP.

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
PixelCrunch
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

LZDOOM 3.8.2 Rescaling Issues. HELP.

Post by PixelCrunch »

Hey, Pixel Here.

I decided to run the *newly accquired* LZDOOM 3.8.2 in Truecolor Software mode. I decided to downscale the virtual resolution, because, 1. My computer is kinda crap for gaming, and 2. I love retro-style games and big pixels. But while i was running it in this mode, I noticed that the text, numbers, sprites, HUD, and other things weren't quite what they were meant to look like. It kind of looks like improperly-scaled Pixel Art, that used Nearest-Neighbor. The worst offender of this issue is, however, the "Tip of the Day" text on Russian Overkill. I CANNOT READ IT. The issue is THAT bad.

I would appreciate if anyone knew how to resolve this issue. I REALLY wanna like LZDOOM, it runs much better than GZDOOM, even in Software Mode.

Please respond, and thank you!

-PixelCrunch
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: LZDOOM 3.8.2 Rescaling Issues. HELP.

Post by Rachael »

There's not much you can do except use a higher virtual resolution.

Remember that the low virtual resolutions downscale the entire picture - text and all - to be smaller. And when you make a small picture big again, it becomes pixelated. Thus, such is the case here.

There is not yet 2D independent scaling. I've tried to get that working but I haven't had any success so far.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Scaling never worked for software mode in old versions (however there were some side-effects), you're using the OpenGL renderer.
To make it look right at such a low resolution you need to change the texture filter mode to none, or use vanilla essence.
Edit: or use a low resolution (video mode) directly if supported by your video card.
PixelCrunch

Post by PixelCrunch »

I'm using Direct3D Mode. GZDOOM does not have these issues at all.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

That's what you get when running older code. LZDoom is based on an *old* GZDoom version, after all!
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Sure but it's an old version on steroids. :) Now i know what he's talking about, i guess he's running 320x200 natively on an intel "card".
Yes, it looks like shit (that resolution always did) but it's even shittier due to your LCD monitor upscaling wildly such a low resolution. That's one of the reasons why the GZDoom display code changed, if you'd get even older hardware with a CRT you wouldn't experience that problem. BTW i'm still using a CRT on my desktop. It's the same good 11 year old code from ZDoom 2.2. :)
That also depends on how shitty your monitor is (old laptop i guess), on my modern laptop 320x240 looks much better than 320x200 on my old intel one (320x240 was a pixel doubled 640x480 on cards not supporting it natively but intel ones did).
Changing resolution scale in software doesn't work here and in GL looks the same as it did in GZDoom, BTW GZDoom no longer can downscale to such lower resolutions.
If you want to play software @320x200 i think you'd better use the vintage build (3.8.2 is the last one) or an old GZDoom version. Not that i play at 320x200 of course but at 1366x768 without any scaling and this is a low end laptop.
PixelCrunch

Post by PixelCrunch »

drfrag wrote:Sure but it's an old version on steroids. :) Now i know what he's talking about, i guess he's running 320x200 natively on an intel "card".
Yes, it looks like shit (that resolution always did) but it's even shittier due to your LCD monitor upscaling wildly such a low resolution. That's one of the reasons why the GZDoom display code changed, if you'd get even older hardware with a CRT you wouldn't experience that problem. BTW i'm still using a CRT on my desktop. It's the same good 11 year old code from ZDoom 2.2. :)
That also depends on how shitty your monitor is (old laptop i guess), on my modern laptop 320x240 looks much better than 320x200 on my old intel one (320x240 was a pixel doubled 640x480 on cards not supporting it natively but intel ones did).
Changing resolution scale in software doesn't work here and in GL looks the same as it did in GZDoom, BTW GZDoom no longer can downscale to such lower resolutions.
If you want to play software @320x200 i think you'd better use the vintage build (3.8.2 is the last one) or an old GZDoom version. Not that i play at 320x200 of course but at 1366x768 without any scaling and this is a low end laptop.
I'm using an Acer monitor, and i'm using the VIRTUAL 320x200 mode. NATIVE 320x200 I absolutely NEVER use, because the pixels look like fuzzy assholes.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: LZDOOM 3.82 Rescaling Issues. HELP.

Post by drfrag »

And how do you set that virtual resolution? Using the resolution scale menu option? That works only for OpenGL.
PixelCrunch

Re: LZDOOM 3.82 Rescaling Issues. HELP.

Post by PixelCrunch »

drfrag wrote:And how do you set that virtual resolution? Using the resolution scale menu option? That works only for OpenGL.
I Don't USE OpenGL, i use Direct-3D 9 Software mode.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

But again how do you set that "virtual" resolution?
PixelCrunch

Post by PixelCrunch »

drfrag wrote:But again how do you set that "virtual" resolution?
I set the "Scale" down to 0.25 in the Resolution menu. Then i just pressed enter on 1600x900 to make these changes.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

That's not how it works, both resolution scale and scale factor don't work in software. You're just getting a screwed resolution, it's an old GZDoom bug and now i'll need to block that in software. To see how scaling works try the OpenGL renderer.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Now that i remember you can try these command line parameters depending on your maximum monitor resolution and selected video mode but it will be much slower:
Forces all video modes to use pixel doubling, resulting in the final video mode being two times larger than specified.

Forces all video modes to use pixel quadrupling, resulting in the final video mode being four times larger than specified.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Fixed, i've blocked scaling for the classic software renderer. It was never supported there but you could get the image stretched horizontally, squashed vertically or even a black screen. For the OpenGL software canvas it still works partially but that requires GL3.
Using the -4 parameter with 320x200 should fix the OP's scaling issues.

Return to “Technical Issues”