Doom: The Golden Souls 3 - Important update at p.17, follow me on https://twitter.com/Batandy_ for project updates

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SuRGE_The_Lad

Re: Doom: The Golden Souls 3 - Demo 1 OUT!

Post by SuRGE_The_Lad »

When I first played the first GS I thought "Wow! A doom mod in the aesthetic of Mario 64!" then the more I played it, it didn't have the feel of a collectathon. It felt like a linear mario 64 doom mod. I liked the mod none the less despite how rough the start can get (Depending on difficulty). When I played the second one however, I went in knowing that the second one was going for a more "Linear" style. Turns out I really liked the second one. It has better controls, and it felt very fluid. And it had a bigger personality (In my opinion). But it didn't quench that collectathon itch. From the moment I booted it up the GS3 Demo, I knew "This is the one". When it booted up, from what was there in demo, I felt right at home. The basic main center of the hub felt like a pseudo Delphino Plaza. The movement was smooth and crisp. And most importantly, it expanded upon what the second one did, and turned it into a collectathon platformer. If I had to give any criticism, I must say that the long jump is a bit finicky. Either I just can't get the timing down, or sometimes it just doesn't work sometimes. Also I find it difficult to find ammo for the shotgun, I think that's because of the sheer size of the first level but hey, you can always buy ammo from a fast food restaurant. Other than that, I have no other complaints. Out of all the games I am anticipating (namely third party titles) this comes in either 3rd or 2nd most anticipated games at the moment. I can't wait to see, play and experience more of this mod.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

I decided to whip out my dusty old Pentium Dual-Core, and even though it's kinda crashy (Not GZDoom's fault though, just the computer needing new RAM by this point) i was able to play through the entirety of the first level at around 12-50fps with the truecolor softpoly renderer. For some reason the softpoly renderer runs way faster than the software renderer on this mod so if you have to use a software mode i recommend truecolor softpoly.

And it was great! I really loved how the movement felt (Though the long jump timing was VERY frustrating with the low FPS) and the design of the level and weapons were fantastic. Just one thing, where's the Shotgun? I played through all of the first level only with my Raygun and i kept running low on ammo all because i couldn't find the Shotgun anywhere.

And yeah LZDoom plays perfectly fine with this so i hope that compatibility isn't broken in future updates. But if it's needed i could edit the mod to run on it and perhaps release it here if i'm not the only one playing on LZDoom.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

TDRR wrote: And yeah LZDoom plays perfectly fine with this so i hope that compatibility isn't broken in future updates. But if it's needed i could edit the mod to run on it and perhaps release it here if i'm not the only one playing on LZDoom.
Expect the mod to lose compatibility with previous Gzdoom versions and also Gzdoom forks at some point. I'm already thinking of way to use the new A_SoundPitch for example...

I started working on a new map, it's just a rough draft at the moment, but I'm happy about how it so far.
I'm planning it to be a Miyazaki's Spirited Away kind of map, it's kinda dark at the moment but in the future it'll have plenty of traditional japanese lights (and also mysterious and exotic temples and buildings).
siealex

Post by siealex »

1406.jpg
What's this? Is one of the devs Russian??? :-D
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

CHEEKI BREEKI! Shyguys in Golden Souls are now officially act like Gopniks. Glad you figure that out!

Post by 0.1 »

Do you think on the lowest gzdoom settings a 4 GB computer could run this at a decent frame rate?
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

0.1 wrote:Do you think on the lowest gzdoom settings a 4 GB computer could run this at a decent frame rate?
That's not really enough info. Your RAM won't help much in this situation, but your CPU and graphics card will be more helpful on performance.

Try using LZDoom's latest devbuild https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/lzdoom/lz ... af0b11c.7z
And set "wall culling distance" to something fairly low. This is a great help with performance on old computers so i guess it's worth giving it a try, but i'm not sure if next demo will run on it.

Post by 0.1 »

It's an HP Stream 15
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

0.1 wrote:It's an HP Stream 15
I'm sorry but that's really below the specs (even for Gzdoom in general). It might work with LZDoom as TDRR said, but keep in mind it's not supported by my mod, and at some point it will be entirely incompatible with it.

I haven't done much lately, spent a couple of weeks getting used to my new rig, but now I'm back at it:
Here's how the second world looks, It's still very WIP but it's coming together nicely.

This is a general improvement to the whole gameplay: As you might know it's possible to get multiple souls in the same mission, but it's not entirely consistent: Some Souls can only be found by selecting their specific mission in the selection screen.
This led to some confusion with some people not knowing if they could still find souls around or had to quit and re-enter the level again with another mission selected, until now.
Now, after collecting a Soul and being prompted with this screen, you'll also know the number of the remaining souls you can still find!

Post by 0.1 »

It actually doesn't work that bad with the newest version of GZdoom
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

I've streamed a bit of GS3 Mapping.
The video is kinda rough because it's a test stream, but I figured it would be interesting for people to see, you can see some stuff that's still being worked on!
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

Probably my biggest concern with GS3 will be that the hub will be boring and uninteresting. The thing I loved about GS2 was that you went through a giant map and talked with new characters, and that you could look at just how far you've gone... but I don't think that would be as easy in GS3.

Maybe have more characters populate limbotropolis as you progress through levels? Or make limbotropolis grow upwards, rather than outwards? (okay that second one is unrealistically hard to do)
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Tartlman wrote:Probably my biggest concern with GS3 will be that the hub will be boring and uninteresting. The thing I loved about GS2 was that you went through a giant map and talked with new characters, and that you could look at just how far you've gone... but I don't think that would be as easy in GS3.

Maybe have more characters populate limbotropolis as you progress through levels? Or make limbotropolis grow upwards, rather than outwards? (okay that second one is unrealistically hard to do)
The hub you see in Golden Souls 2 was not made in a day, I started working on it after making the first level, and finished working on it after making the very last secret level, couple of weeks before release (So it's a map I kept working on for 4 years), it's pretty obvious why Limbotropolis in its current state looks bland in comparison.
Limbotropolis is gonna look just as good with proper development time, just like GS2's world map, let me remind you how the world map actually looked months after announcing the project:
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

Hey batandy, seeing as how i couldn't find the music for GS3 on youtube, would it be okay if i put the music used in the demo levels up on youtube?

(i'm not sure about whether the tracks are taken from somewhere else or original, though. my dumb ass couldn't find any credits in the file)
Gez

Post by Gez »

I suppose DKCBOSS is from Donkey Kong Country...

D_INTMUS has its metadata so it's 'Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door "Baby Dreams of Lost Civilizations" OC ReMix'.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”