LZDoom replacing QZDoom on the download page

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

LZDoom replacing QZDoom on the download page

Post by Rachael »

Since there are no planned future "official" releases for QZDoom and it pretty much just serves as a beta test bench now, the decision was made to replace it on the download page with LZDoom.

LZDoom is a port created by drfrag in the community, and should serve as a more maintained code base than the Vintage version did. While it aims to keep feature parity with GZDoom with regards to modding features, it does lag behind quite a lot in renderer code. (So much so, in fact, that it can be used to run on older systems that GZDoom has long since deprecated).

Please keep in mind that LZDoom is independently supported, and the GZDoom team can only offer limited support. Its development is not directly supervised by the GZDoom team, so this should be seen as more of a simple alternative to GZDoom than a real "vintage build" for it. As always, if you need help getting things working, you can post in the tech forum and see if someone can help you!

Here is a quote from drfrag's post for LZDoom v3.82 that by itself will complete this post:
drfrag wrote:Fixes/features since 3.61b4
  • Fake splitscreen support: you need to enable the 'vid_activeinbackground', 'i_soundinbackground' and the new 'joy_background' cvars.
    Start two copies of LZDoom from different folders (e.g. with ZDL), one with -host 2 and another one with '-join 127.0.0.1'. You need a dual core CPU, you'll probably get the best results using software D3D and setting 'r_multithreaded' to 0. Set player two to use the gamepad (left stick to move, right one to look around) and give the focus to player one, works for DInput and SDL.
  • Gives a warning instead of error out on unsupported ZScript version (3.8.3), hacked to run most mods with the original fonts.
  • Support for SIGIL and NERVE as iwads.
  • More DOOM2 compatibility fixes.
  • Auto level compatibility is now optional by Enjay's request: 'sv_njnoautolevelcompat' cvar. Gives a warning on level load.
  • Fixed crash with Eviternity on level end.
  • Huge update with tons of stuff from GZDoom such as the JIT compiler for 64 bit.
  • Reminder: savegames in LZDoom are sorted by filename (slot), to restore the old order use the 'oldsaveorder' cvar.
Download
Enjoy LZDoom!
Deybar_TECH
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: LZDoom replacing QZDoom on the download page

Post by Deybar_TECH »

(LZDOOM) sounds amazing, I'm glad qzdoom is updated to this. let's see how it works with community mods. :D
GuyNamedErick

Post by GuyNamedErick »

I see that it includes the DOOM2.WAD changes from my pull request that is still open. Nice to have that impassable line in MAP27 gone. I'm curious on how the fake splitscreen will play out. :)
Deybar_TECH

Post by Deybar_TECH »

Although (joy_background) does not seem to work for my device (twin dx controller ps2),
thank you very much for the instructions of (-host 2 & -join 127.0.0.1) since with
that I can finally do tests with the (multiplayer) mode already That method works
with any (+zdoom) that I have installed. 8-)
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

It works only for DirectInput controllers, have you tried disabling raw PS2 adapters support?
Deybar_TECH

Post by Deybar_TECH »

try adjusting that of (DirectInput) but it doesn't work. the funny thing is that if I can control
2 windows or more of the emulator (pcsx2) at the same time with the (joystick) that I want.

but well. this is not so important to me anymore. :)
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

That's a ps2 emulator so it's not surprising that ps2 controllers work. But i thought those could be used as DirectInput controllers on pc.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

They can, but only if you have the DirectInput drivers for them...

Are they supported in Linux? If so, maybe someone ported the drivers to Windows. I'd look to see if there are any open source drivers available for it that connect to DirectInput.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”