The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by Darkcrafter »

There are some limitations and inconveniences in gzdoom that are impossible to resolve to use more frames for the sprites, what if something similar can be attached as a separate video co-processor to increase the framerate of sprites and make more than 8 sides of each?

Something like this NVIDIA AI thing: https://youtu.be/MjViy6kyiqs
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Darkcrafter wrote:make more than 8 sides of each?
Would 16 be enough? [wiki]Sprite#Angles[/wiki]

Also, pretty sure that the 35 tics frame rate is nothing to do with video rendering (GZDoom can render far more frames per second than that). It's the rate that the game runs at.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Darkcrafter »

16 for rotaions? Probably yes, but it could be better. 16 wasn't enough for rocks sprites, I tried and they still sucked, even 1 sided sprite looks not as weird, so for static objects it's either should be just 1 side or a 3d model, otherwise you'll get lots of flickering which an eye can spot immediately, for example BF4 developers knew what they did when placed 1 sided tree sprites over mountains. Placing an AI processor might get effective for inserting missing frames to the game graphics, but there is smooth doom that pretty much nails what I always wanted to get from doom, now imagine smooth doom graphics smoothed out even more.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Scripten wrote:Has anyone else seen the RPS Wat I Think article on Ion Fury? Normally I'm pretty happy with the writing at Rock Paper Shotgun, but... wow. Talk about a real letdown of an article in terms of just general competence and familiarity with basic mechanics of the genre.
AFAIK they got rid of the writer who usually handled the whole retro/indie scene (Dominic White).
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Unfortunately, that brings me back to my earlier point: RPS went ahead with the review knowing that they didn't have someone well suited to doing it and thereby they knowingly produced a crappy product that didn't adequately address the game that they were "reviewing". Ironic seeing as how they were supposed to be commenting on the quality of someone else's product.

Ion Fury Reviewed?
Peoples' hard work misrepresented through [our] ignorance?
Another sub-standard article published?
Do we care that is was poor quality?

As I said, "Gotta get the review out, gotta get the views. Never mind the quality, feel the width."

It's just throw-away nonsense (the review, not the game).
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

Gez wrote:
Scripten wrote:Has anyone else seen the RPS Wat I Think article on Ion Fury? Normally I'm pretty happy with the writing at Rock Paper Shotgun, but... wow. Talk about a real letdown of an article in terms of just general competence and familiarity with basic mechanics of the genre.
AFAIK they got rid of the writer who usually handled the whole retro/indie scene (Dominic White).
He did a twitter thread that hit a ton of points that I was expecting to see in the WIT article. Copy available here: https://pastebin.com/FAza8n0Z

What bothers me the most is that the review just doesn't actually describe the game accurately at all. I've already seen people talking about how Ion Fury has "obscure/incompetent level design" despite the strong levels being one of its primary selling points. The argument being made is that there are *too many secrets* and that the game mocks you by telling you how many you're missing before you hit a sawtooth and can't go back. Plus, refusing to engage with the medium in any meaningful sense isn't a unique or compelling perspective: it reads as stuffy bellyaching.

There's room for critique and negative reviews, of course. And Ion Fury isn't perfect. It would still be nice to know if it's DUSK or if it's Strafe, though. The people who made it (including those from this forum/community) worked with passion and dedication to their ideals that should be lauded, even while addressing where they fell short. The excuse that other sites will give it good reviews is meaningless when RPS holds so much clout among just the people that Ion Fury is aiming to please.

As a final aside: I'm also very disappointed in the repeated insistence that only FPS grognards (above 40) enjoy classic FPS design. For one thing, it's ageist nonsense and secondly, it's untrue. I'm significantly younger than that myself and I don't feel like I skew particularly young here or among those who enjoy the genre.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Scripten wrote:As a final aside: I'm also very disappointed in the repeated insistence that only FPS grognards (above 40) enjoy classic FPS design. For one thing, it's ageist nonsense and secondly, it's untrue. I'm significantly younger than that myself and I don't feel like I skew particularly young here or among those who enjoy the genre.
Part of that is that very few games these days even offer that kind of experience. How are "the kids" ever going to like something that they are not easily exposed to through their normal channels?
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Half-Life "set the bar" all right.... and then Serious Sam "brought doom back" misleadingly in the form of a retread of Smash TV design instead, and that's probably the most 'retro fps level design' most of the general public are aware about.

To be more more specific, can we just say we want Tom Hall levels? And what if Tom Hall worked with Allen Blum on a FPS? :thinking:
TheAdamantArchvile

Post by TheAdamantArchvile »

leileilol wrote:To be more more specific, can we just say we want Tom Hall levels? And what if Tom Hall worked with Allen Blum on a FPS? :thinking:
I mean, we kinda did get that with the Duke3D World Tour version. It's too bad it was bundled with a shittier port of Duke3D (why the fuck does Duke3D need volumetric lighting?)
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i don't like to advertise my own stuff very much, but i thought i'd just drop in and say that i put a new, small album up on my Bandcamp just now. i don't think it's worth making a new thread over, so i'll put it in here.
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:i don't like to advertise my own stuff very much, but i thought i'd just drop in and say that i put a new, small album up on my Bandcamp just now. i don't think it's worth making a new thread over, so i'll put it in here.
Good stuff! I like how far each song progresses and how the album pulls in a bunch of genres while remaining cohesive.
gdm413229

Post by gdm413229 »

Ported some of GZDB-BF's HLSL shaders to GLSL as part of the porting process. You can see the shaders in the Source/Core/Resources folder in the Git repository at https://github.com/gdm413229/GZDoom-Bui ... ture/linux. (the GLSL shaders I ported from HLSL are the .vert and .frag files!)

Still got one more fragment shader to do in the Things2DShader and the entire World3DShader to port over.

I've got an example to show you, the HLSL sprite drawing pixel shader from GZDB-BF:

Code: Select all

// [ZZ] desaturation routine. almost literal quote from GZDoom's GLSL
float3 desaturate(float3 texel)
{
	float gray = (texel.r * 0.3 + texel.g * 0.56 + texel.b * 0.14);	
	return lerp(texel, float3(gray,gray,gray), desaturation);
}

//mxd. Pixel shader for sprite drawing
float4 ps_sprite(PixelData pd) : COLOR
{
	// Take this pixel's color
	float4 c = tex2D(texture1sprite, pd.uv);

// Modulate it by selection color
	if(pd.color.a > 0)
	{
		float3 cr = desaturate(c.rgb);
		return float4((cr.r + pd.color.r) / 2.0f, (cr.g + pd.color.g) / 2.0f, (cr.b + pd.color.b) / 2.0f, c.a * rendersettings.w * pd.color.a);
	}

// Or leave it as it is
	return float4(desaturate(c.rgb), c.a * rendersettings.w);
}
is ported to the GLSL fragment shader at gl_sprite2d.frag, shown below:

Code: Select all

#version 120

/* Things2D GL shader : Sprite drawing shader, now GLSL-ified! */

in vec2 g413229_gl_uvs;
in vec4 g413229_gl_vertcol; // x = red, y = green, z = blue, w = alpha

uniform sampler2D texture0;

uniform sampler2D mrt_thirdbuf; // may need triple buffering!

uniform vec4 rendersettings;

uniform float desaturation;

// Ported from ZZYZX's HLSL shader code (from GLSL to HLSL and back to GLSL.)
vec3 desaturate(vec3 rgbtexel)
{
	float gzgrey=(rgbtexel.x*0.3 + rgbtexel.y * 0.56 + rgbtexel.z * 0.14);
	return mix(rgbtexel,vec3(gzgrey,gzgrey,gzgrey),desaturation); // Think of this line like Blender Cycles' MixRGB node.
}

void main()
{
	vec2 scr_fragcoord = vec2(gl_FragPosition.x,1-gl_FragPosition.y); // Y flip that buffer!

vec4 c=texture2D(texture0,g413229_gl_uvs);
	vec4 curfrag=texture2D(mrt_thirdbuf,scr_fragcoord); // get current fragment's color

// Modulate it by the selection color
	if(curfrag.w>0)
	{
		vec3 cr=desaturate(c.xyz);
		gl_FragColor=vec4((cr.x+curfrag.x)/2.0f,(cr.y+curfrag.y)/2.0f,(cr.z+curfrag.z)/2.0f,c.w*rendersettings.w*curfrag.w);
	}

// Or leave the color as is
	gl_FragColor=vec4(desaturate(c.xyz),c.w*rendersettings.w)*curfrag;
}
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Today's my birthday and now i'm 22(23, on my country) years old! Still feeling hopeless thanks to chaos happening around politics, incompetent companies trying to hire someone but fails, and the unforgettable history during WW 2 that repeats.

But i'm glad that i still can do my best here and support this forum! :D
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Captain J wrote:Today's my birthday and now i'm 22(23, on my country) years old! Still feeling hopeless thanks to chaos happening around politics, incompetent companies trying to hire someone but fails, and the unforgettable history during WW 2 that repeats.

But i'm glad that i still can do my best here and support this forum! :D
Happy birthday buddy, keep smiling!

"When things start getting hard, you're going the right way." - Doom, 1993
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Two big things I want to talk about, here. First involves my Faith, the other the hurricane that is freaking me out.

So, I'm having some tests done by doctor's (hopefully everything is okay, they don't seem too worried, but I am freaking out) and I am praying adamantly that everything is okay, and that I'm okay. Praying about my grief. Praying about my fears. I've been having a lot of changes go on inside of me mentally (in a good way), and I've been striving to be a better Christian, a better man of God, more loving and selfless. I've always been Christian, but sometimes I can be nasty and aggressive, bringing people down. (I mean, we are all human.) My late wife would always lift people up, is extremely selfless and giving in the name of God, and I feel like... how am I living the way she loved if I'm not helping lift other people up? Showing compassion? So, I'm on the phone with a girl I'm close with, and I'm telling her about all of my strive to make God proud. I'm also eating healthier (more fruits and vegetables, staying away from processed stuff etc. My late wife was/is Vegan, and knew a lot about healthy eating. It's difficult without her physically here to help me, but I do feel closer to her when I'm eating this healthier food.) Talking about how much I love God and want to really help people and bring glory to His name.

Alright, so I get out of the car after this 15 minute drive and conversation, still on the phone with her, and a few seconds after talking like this, BAM!!! lighting strikes right above my head, or right next to me. Right before it did, my whole body felt static and my hair was all standing on end (like when you take a blanket out of the dryer), and as I heard the rumbling while feeling that sensation I thought "Uh..." and then everything flashed super bright and the lighting struck terrifyingly loud. (The girl on the phone was screaming "What was that??? Are you okay??? Are you okay???" basically.) I don't know what it hit, but it felt like it was right above me, possibly a light pole or something on the house's roof. I ran inside the house freaked out, kind of in mental shock, trying to process what just happened. Then it dawned on me the conversation I was just having and the prayers I've been making, scared about a lot of things.

Okay, you with me so far? So fast forward a day later, I laid The Bible down on the bed at night to a "random" page, and then went to finish what I was doing on the computer. An hour or so later I went to lay down for sleep, and wanted to read The Bible a little bit. The page I just happened to open to, and the very first thing my eyes read on this page as I laid down was this:

I started balling my eyes out. I've never even heard that verse before that moment, last night. And the fact that it's Verse 7 is also beautiful, 7 is important to me because of my late wife and my Anniversary, and it is a number frequently used in The Bible. I'm not a numerologist, per se, but I do keep an eye out for signs from God. I cried for hours last night I was so moved by this. Anyways, I hope that doesn't violate the religious rules as I just wanted to share something beautiful that happened to me the last few days.

Now, this HURRICANE is FREAKING ME OUT. I'm hoping it weakens and curves north, but we have to prepare for it to come straight at us. And if we have to evacuate, I don't know where we are gonna go, and I don't have my wife physically with me to help me with my agoraphobic panic attacks. When we evacuated Irma, she was still physically here. I'm obviously praying a lot, but I'm trying to figure out our action. Shutters are up, we're getting some supplies but ... I just feel so helpless without my wife (physically here.) With Irma I was fired up as a man to protect her, and she calmed my anxiety attacks, and we are strong together. I still have other members of my family here that I love, but I'm still... stumbling without her physically here.

Anyways, thanks for reading. Keeping an eye on that storm, praying for the best, preparing for worse.

Return to “Off-Topic”