Kingpin character sprites

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Cherno

Kingpin character sprites

Post by Cherno »

This started out as a Kingpin TC. It was the first time I attempted create a mod for Doom so a lot of stuff was made less than ideal, which is one of the reasons I never got around to work on this further. Still, I spent a lot of time creating these character sprites which consists of all the characters from the first map of Kingpin in Skidrow. They are slightly taller than standard Doom monsters so scale them down a bit if you want. I provide the whole pk3 file with a replica of the first Kingpin map, a few weapons and the DECORATE code for the enemies and NPCs. Use them as you wish, I guess they could come in handy for a modern inner-city gangster scenario. Note that the Kingpin textures are available via Realm667 (or as part of this TC). I would like to add that the sprites are antialiased around their borders.

kingpin.pk3

StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Kingpin character sprites

Post by StroggVorbis »

I only just started playing this obscure game again a few months ago after I found an unofficial patch by Knightmare, who also made some for Quake 2 and RtCW, adding widescreen resolutions, etc. however I was put off by the insane difficulty spike from Normal to Hard and above, making the enemies seem like bullet sponges, but it could also be that most of my shots didn't connect, as the hit detection and body part system seems very flaky. That, coupled with the enemies' inhuman reaction times and pinpoint reaction times, makes for a save-scumming experience like no other, as every encounter could be your last. In short, not very enjoyable.

My conclusion: if you're interested in trying out this game, only do so if you're masochistic, it's not for the faint of heart. And don't forget to bind quicksave & -load to your mouse buttons :P
Last edited by StroggVorbis on Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I agree with you. Kingpin is fondly remembered for it's unique style, featuring an anachronistic blend of 1940s noir, 1990s's gangsta ghetto, The Roading 20s with their Tommyguns, Art Deco (in Radio City's Crystal Palace) as well as some steampunk elements (I once read that the devlopers were partly inspired by the french movie City of Lost Children). One of the guards in Poisonville has what looks like a cybernetic face mask. The gameplay, meanwhile, is rather bad indeed. There are less than ten enemies in the whole game that use no hitscan attacks, and without any kind of cover system, gunfights aren't much fun. The first episode in Skidrow counterbalances this with it's strong RPG flavor, with small quests, secrets and NPCs to talk to. This part of the game shows the potential but as it progresses, it becomes apparent that the developers simply rushed to get it finished, with later chapters like the trainyards being almost pure shootingfests with the odd switch puzzle thrown in. As stated by the lead developer, the original vision for the game was much grander; you were supposed to have your own gang and manage it, but publisher Interplay cut that down and demanded a simple shooter so they could get it out of the door quickly. Things like driveable vehicles (motorcycle, hovercar, submarine or boat and others), multiple ammo types (acid shells for the shotgun, HV rounds for the sniper rifle (HMG)), more weapons (electro gun) and so on got scrapped to meet the deadline.

Still, one of the things I like about the game are the numerous pop-culture references strewen throughout:

Pulp Fiction: The Kingpin is a clone of Marcellus Wallace, including the small band aid on the neck. One character wants to have his priced wristwatch back from another guy outside the bar he is hiding in. The bloodsplattered car window after Thug shoots the innocent driver.
Payback: The ringing telephone wired to a bomb, and the Crystal Palace is strongly influenced by the syndicate building "The Outfit"
The Big Lebowski: The Jesus character at the end of the first episode shares his name and lines with the arrogant bowling player from the movie
Edward Hopper's Nighthawks: The iconic building from this famous painting can be found in Radio City
Dr. Strangelove: The German shipyard captain shouts phrases from the titular character

Added fun fact: The game was to have a tie-in with clothing maker Diesel. The deal was: Xatrix puts the Diesel logo into the game (on a large billboard as well as on some character clothing) and Diesel sells the game in it's retail stores. Apparently, only the first part of the deal was honored.
Bonus fun fact: Xatrix was invited into the Cypress Hill studio after they asked them to if they could use their music in the game. The members of Cypress Hill voice the bouncers of the various bars and clubs.

(Yes, I like to talk about this game a lot)

So, in short: A game with realistic and unforgiving combat mechanics like this (with it's plethora of hitscanning enemies) is only fun if the gunfights take a backseat to adventure and RPG elements, which the game universe is well-suited for, like a darker and more serious version of GTA.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Kingpin was a good, fun game with a great soundtrack (love me some Cypress Hill). However, I do feel that it was a product of its time - released with shock value that has gradually faded over the years leaving behind a good, but dated game with what now seems a bit too much like forced "edgelord" profanity and violence.

Many of the textures look great in Doom maps though. :biggrin:
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

The developers put in some violence that seemed to have even less of a purpose than the F-Bombs and gore from the body dismemberment system. Thug killing the truck driver who drove him to the next town for no reason other than not wanting to spent the 20 bucks he promised him is one example, and poor Lizzie having her head cut off in the wharf (with you having to take the head back to her friend as proof of her murder) is another. The task you have to do in order to be accepted into the Jokers gang in Radio City is yet another one: You have to kill three bums who reside in some dilapitated area near the subway tunnels. You would never cross through there and they don't seem to bother anyone, yet you have to smash their skulls in "just because".
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

A video showcasing what's in the mod.

Roarke

Post by Roarke »

Cherno wrote:The developers put in some violence that seemed to have even less of a purpose than the F-Bombs and gore from the body dismemberment system. Thug killing the truck driver who drove him to the next town for no reason other than not wanting to spent the 20 bucks he promised him is one example, and poor Lizzie having her head cut off in the wharf (with you having to take the head back to her friend as proof of her murder) is another. The task you have to do in order to be accepted into the Jokers gang in Radio City is yet another one: You have to kill three bums who reside in some dilapitated area near the subway tunnels. You would never cross through there and they don't seem to bother anyone, yet you have to smash their skulls in "just because".
The level works in a multiplayer match ?
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

What level?
Roarke

Post by Roarke »

The level from the images.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

No, it has only one player spawn.