Colourful Hell 1.01 fix fix tweak tweak

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

What do with black shotgun spawn?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:24 am

keep as they are
No votes
modify a little for ranged options
No votes
Remake the crew for better variance
29%
Remake with focus on the leader as the boss
71%
Rehaul and scrap the concept, make something else shotgunny instead
No votes

Total votes: 7

zitro1987

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.97ccc fiiix

Post by zitro1987 »

Playing monochrome blue on "hurt me plenty", zero drops, and balanced custom maps like 'Whispers of Satan' is extremely good gameplay. It is harder to dodge their attacks and their hp can make ammo scarce (without drops activated), thus the 3rd difficulty fits in very well. The enemies fit in surprisingly well regardless of map as they act similarly as their original counterparts (but with added difficulty). They are almost never unbalanced, which is impressive! Many of the blue counterparts also make relatively boring creatures like imps, caco or baron much more enjoyable.

A few minor exceptions:
-lost souls' high hp is really noticeable (combined with mobility) and can make certain sections harder than intended, especially when narrow bridges, wide-open areas, or pain elementals are involved. I recommend bringing down their hp to 100-120
-chaingunner's long range attack seems 100% accurate and can be unfair when playing with vanilla weapons. I recommend adding a narrow cone of fire to lower accuracy at very long ranges.
-baron of hell's bouncing balls can sometimes overcomplicate a few battles depending on map layout. I think decreasing damage of balls based on how many bounces/time is recommended, even if it means increasing their initial damage to compensate.
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

The monochrome addon is actually useful with La Tailor Girl. I actually prefer playing with vanilla monsters with LTG, but being vanilla, they don't utilize the special damage types that outfits in LTG are meant to protect you from. By loading up LTG, Colourful Hell and the monochrome addon and setting the addon to "Common", you get vanilla monsters compatible with LTG's damage types.
SpaceyStrife

Post by SpaceyStrife »

Wow, I didn't expect such a positive response to this! Glad people are finding a use for it.

I don't think it would be fair to expect the author to make balance changes to the base mod specifically with monochrome in mind - as some of you have pointed out, many of these monsters are not designed to be fought in groups. That being said, I think I could try and investigate a way for the monochrome addon to nerf the health levels of specific monsters so that the base mod can remain untouched.
PFL

Post by PFL »

Oh, summer's almost gone and still no updates ... gimme gimme, a white Baron perhaps, more EX's or why not, a translucent Spydie. May I quote:

Changelog:

- 19-03-2019 ... the longest time without an update. Help me.
Alptraum
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Alptraum »

Hopefully one day we can get 1.0 version. This is a good enemy mod.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

dljosef wrote:I don't know if anyone else encounters this on occasion, but with none of the extra spawn options on, there are occasionally these invisible spots in the case of cybies that causes friendlies to freak out, but the monsters themselves never spawn.

I haven't run into this often, but it's a bit annoying for 100% kills when this happens. Also Yellow Archvile eggs have a tendency at random to ruin 100% kills.
unfortunately, this is bit of an issue I am having trouble fixing as its a kind of a placeholder thing that is required to make sure doom1 and custom map triggers for bosses dont break, I will tweak the actors to try make them less distraction
I'll see what I can do about the eggs, they shouldn't count as monsters to begin with, which is odd

@monochrome discussion;

This add on is pretty interesting, and I do like reading these discoveries on monsters, how they play, etc it has given.
Gives nice insight
Oh, summer's almost gone and still no updates ... gimme gimme, a white Baron perhaps, more EX's or why not, a translucent Spydie. May I quote:

Changelog:

- 19-03-2019 ... the longest time without an update. Help me.

Summer has been busy for me
and it will continue to be busy
So have patience

Hopefully one day we can get 1.0 version. This is a good enemy mod.
once I get all white tier enemies done, it's 1.0 time.
so... 2 to go

In other news;
I will aim to release a public beta build just like Ive done with LTG later on this week, as I've been building some fix ups and retweaks of certain enemies
One big fix is to some monster behaviors that have been in general felt as too annoying and have been hard to balance; bouncing shots, specially those that hit wall & home
Blue Baron and Purple Mancubi especially are gonna have new attacking patterns with their bouncing balls that arent as annoying in terms of fire and forget, but still deadly if you dont pay attention
Dewzanity
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Dewzanity »

So the bug with the kill count not being able to achieve 100% from vile eggs actually occurs when an enemy grows a tier from resurrection (I looked at the CH file for this btw, so call me a big nerd). When an enemy receives the inventory to grow a tier, the current tier enemy disappears and spawns the next tier enemy. The problem with this is because when an enemy disappears, the kill count doesn't get lowered, and the total kills doesn't get raised, causing one enemy to be permanently missing from the map. To fix this bug, I suggest putting the A_Die action on every actor when it receives the growth inventory. The vile eggs do not have anything to do with messing up the kill count, at least not that I know of.
Gourry

Post by Gourry »

Not sure if this has been mention; game crashes ch test map and other levels when the yellow soul pops up.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

Dewzanity wrote:So the bug with the kill count not being able to achieve 100% from vile eggs actually occurs when an enemy grows a tier from resurrection (I looked at the CH file for this btw, so call me a big nerd). When an enemy receives the inventory to grow a tier, the current tier enemy disappears and spawns the next tier enemy. The problem with this is because when an enemy disappears, the kill count doesn't get lowered, and the total kills doesn't get raised, causing one enemy to be permanently missing from the map. To fix this bug, I suggest putting the A_Die action on every actor when it receives the growth inventory. The vile eggs do not have anything to do with messing up the kill count, at least not that I know of.
Fixing that, good to know the cause!
Not sure if this has been mention; game crashes ch test map and other levels when the yellow soul pops up.
Can't seem to reproduce with CH only, is this test map only or does this happen to you with base CH?
Got anymore info?
Gourry

Post by Gourry »

With both. It crashes on certain levels of Ultimate doom as well when it shows up.
Dewzanity
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Dewzanity »

I have a suggestion for a new unique optional tier - The Rainbow Tier

Rainbow tier enemys should be very quick to attack and have three, very powerful attacks. However, the enemy health is half their base health + 100 to make up for their power. Once killed, a rainbow enemy will drop only a soulsphere/megasphere depending on how strong the base enemy is. (Ex. Zombie drop soulsphere, vile drop megasphere...) This tier will be in between the rarity of red and black tier. Taking the risk to kill these enemies in CH for a powerup could make for some very interesting gameplay.

If you take this suggestion, I would recommend completing the remaining two white enemies before starting anything else.

Here's an example I made with a rainbow chaingunner.
Spoiler:
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

Gourry wrote:With both. It crashes on certain levels of Ultimate doom as well when it shows up.
Have you redownloaded CH?
What gzdoom version?
Are there any other mods?

I am going to release a beta test release soon so it'd be nice to dig into this bit more

This has been suggested many times, but I am not gonna add anymore optional tiers after brown
However seeing that you have done some base work, I wouldn't be opposed of add on for em
bricks041059
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by bricks041059 »

Non-important suggestion: Could you make all of the enemy names consistent? Some enemies are considered yellow, when the mod description states that there is no yellow-tier and they should actually be named orange.
Gourry

Post by Gourry »

Hege Cactus wrote:
Gourry wrote:With both. It crashes on certain levels of Ultimate doom as well when it shows up.
Have you redownloaded CH?
What gzdoom version?
Are there any other mods?

I am going to release a beta test release soon so it'd be nice to dig into this bit more

This has been suggested many times, but I am not gonna add anymore optional tiers after brown
However seeing that you have done some base work, I wouldn't be opposed of add on for em
Yup and gzdoom 4.2.0. It was also a problem in 4.1.3 EDIT: downloaded the wad again and it fixed the problem for now; thanks.

Load order:
map of chaos overkill
colorful hell
Typhon_v4
d2k16_soundtrack
target spy 1.9.1
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

the colours will be consistant someday

BETA BUILD
Download

Note: This is a beta build, it has some things that cannot be switched off
This build has some tweaks to few annoying enemies that have used bouncing moves and a test for a little guy from the brown tier
There is also lot of look tweaks and some performance tweaks and other balancing

ChangeLog:
Spoiler:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”