The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by Rachael »

Really? Fortune cookies? That's what you have to show?

And making them Linux-exclusive, no less?

You're on your way to becoming the Linux developer literally everyone hates, who's so proud of his platform he'll do anything to diss or knock the others. If you even make it that far to even becoming a developer for that OS.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

That sounds about like what you had last time, to be honest. I feel like you should wait until you have something more substantial, like something that can open the map for simple display.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

If I have to split this off again because it devolves into chaos and an insult of the intelligence of every developer who knows what they're doing, I'm going to be REALLY unhappy...
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Huh? Lots of empty files plus some external libraries that may or may not be needed? Looks promising... :twisted:
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

multicore gzdoom builder?
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

This is why we can't have nice things >:(
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

588cd253e484f-bpfull.png
588cd253e484f-bpfull.png (35.82 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

Has anyone else seen the RPS Wat I Think article on Ion Fury? Normally I'm pretty happy with the writing at Rock Paper Shotgun, but... wow. Talk about a real letdown of an article in terms of just general competence and familiarity with basic mechanics of the genre.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Scripten wrote:Has anyone else seen the RPS Wat I Think article on Ion Fury? Normally I'm pretty happy with the writing at Rock Paper Shotgun, but... wow. Talk about a real letdown of an article in terms of just general competence and familiarity with basic mechanics of the genre.
I had to stop reading RPS some years ago, because it often felt less like the writers wanted to talk about the actual game, and more like they wanted to spend the article making off-topic jokes about everything (especially ones that don't make sense unless you'd been reading the site for a decade, comments and all).
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

They actually have a pretty great series that covers popular Doom mods, many of which are from this forum. I tend to also enjoy their indie articles, especially those that get into the depths of stuff like Dwarf Fortress, which very few in the industry cover.

I would have expected the WIT to follow in that path, rather than just outright dismissing the game because the automap and quicksaves are too hard to deal with.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

He did admit at the start of the 'review' that he probably wasn't the right guy to be doing it, and that he didn't really get the game, but whatevs. Increasingly games writing has been this sort of thing more and more recently. Have we forgotten that a mere few years ago, PCZone turned the Postal review into a personal blog from a fictional serial killer... Or the PCGamer review of Deus Ex, which was originally performed entirely through the medium of interpretive dance, and the final score being an actual picture of a HELIUM BALLOON rather than a percentage.

Gaming still seems to be a niche, geeky thing in the eyes of some and gets still gets treated with this level of seriousness. Personally I would feel pretty bad if my work got slapped down because the reviewer didn't like it much, but such is journalism.

Tldr: fuck you too Polygon
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Reviews of any kind of entertainment medium, be it film, TV, or video games, are largely irrelevant to me. An arbitrary number assigned to a subjective experience by some guy I don't know is meaningless. The garbage Halo and Call of Duty games (I like the first Halo and first few CoDs from back in the day) would constantly get 10/10 in all magazines, for fear of fan rejection if they insulted the mainstream financial success franchise. Even when the games were absolute boring dogshit, Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V from the same game released 3 months prior for $59.99. I thoroughly enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever and Doom 3 (although aware of some of their flaws). Mortal Kombat: Annihilation is one of my favorite films (and the reason my favorite band is Rammstein), and I have very little interest in the Marvel super hero movies (what are there like 80 of them? FFS.) Although, a girl I've been getting close with has been sharing some of them with me, and I did enjoy them so far, but they just ... don't grab at me. I wouldn't likely watch any of them without the context of her company.
JadedLexi

Post by JadedLexi »

The thing that immediately comes to mind is Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Zelda fans are pretty rabid to begin with, but seeing them harass youtubers or reviewers over not giving their precious BOTW a 10/10 is sad and it was over some very valid criticisms too.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Vostyok wrote:He did admit at the start of the 'review' that he probably wasn't the right guy to be doing it, and that he didn't really get the game, but whatevs.
So, why did he even do it? If he's not qualified, he's not qualified. Putting an empty disclaimer at the start doesn't change that. Gotta get the review out, gotta get the views. Never mind the quality, feel the width. :roll:

Hey, you know, I'm probably not the right guy to do open heart surgery because I don't really get that - but imma do it anyway. Oh look, the patient died. Can't blame me, I said I wasn't the right guy so it must be the patient's fault; he just sucked at living.

[Comments aimed at Matt Cox, not Vostyok.]

[edit]Hey, I just realised - it's 1.00 a.m. here. It's the 15th. [checks GOG] not out yet. Fair enough. [/edit]
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Enjay wrote:
[Comments aimed at Matt Cox, not Vostyok.]

[edit]Hey, I just realised - it's 1.00 a.m. here. It's the 15th. [checks GOG] not out yet. Fair enough. [/edit]
Don't worry, I agree with you. Games reviews just don't work in their current form. Reviewers end up either catering to what the fans expect for fear of backlash (the whole Breath of The Wild DDOS attack springs to mind) or treat games like a static product; you can't review a videogame like you would a car or even an album. Apart from individual tastes involved, games adapt and grow duue to fanbase, multiplayer community, patches, first-day bugs and glitches, DLC... It's something that hasn't really been expanded on yet. Unless anyone has a review site that they know of that does get this?

Also, what are you waiting for Enjay? Has Ion Fury not been released yet?

Return to “Off-Topic”