[4.2.0] +RIPPER not working

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.

[4.2.0] +RIPPER not working

Post by Guest »

The projectile enters its death state instead of ripping through a monster upon impact. Using example below, start a new game, equip a plasma rifle, and shoot at a monster. The projectile should rip through, but instead it just disappears (latter of which is due to a lack of death state, but you get the idea).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UiQdU ... liaDFVTIym
Enjay

Re: [4.2.0] +RIPPER not working

Post by Enjay »

It seems to be a conflict with the fact that your projectile also bounces. If I remove the bouncing property, the projectile rips as expected:

I wonder if the bouncing fixes for 4.2.0 have affected this? I suspect so because in a pre-fix git build, the projectiles rip.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Bouncing will override ripping, if bouncing on actors is enabled. The recent change only added handling for one overlooked case when hitting an actor from above or below.
The solution would be to set the projectile to not bounce off actors.

Unfortunately this is all a very complex system where cause and effect are not fully in sync, so weird effects may happen.

Post by Guest »

I only need them to bounce off of walls and floors/ceilings, so that's definitely an acceptable solution. Thank you.
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

I just encountered the same problem in the newest version of GZDoom (4.2.1). I added

Code: Select all

-ALLOWBOUNCEONACTORS
-BOUNCEONACTORS
to my projectile actor definition which solved the issue. However as a note to anyone having the same problem: Make sure to add these flags AFTER defining any bounce type like this:

BounceType Hexen
For me setting the flags before the bounce type did not work.
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

Sunbeam wrote:I just encountered the same problem in the newest version of GZDoom (4.2.1). I added

-ALLOWBOUNCEONACTORS
-BOUNCEONACTORS
to my projectile actor definition which solved the issue. However as a note to anyone having the same problem: Make sure to add these flags AFTER defining any bounce type like this:

BounceType Hexen
For me setting the flags before the bounce type did not work.
You'd think that it wouldn't matter what the order was, but apparently it does. This fixes all of my problems, even the +BOSSRIP issue that I posted about the other day.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The order matters because "BounceType" sets the BounceFlags to a preset, just like the 'monster' and 'projectile' properties do with other flags.
So, if you give it later, it will override the older operations.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”