GZDoom 4.2.0 released.

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Enjay

Re: GZDoom 4.2.0 released.

Post by Enjay »

As ever, thank you very much for this update. All your hard work and dedication to the project is very much appreciated. :yup:

I was actually thinking just the other day, I don't use any other piece of software that has such an (obviously) active development and release cycle with developers who are both pro-active but also responsive to requests and so on top of the bug fixing etc. I know a big part of that is because it's a hobby that we are all interested in, we are part of a relatively small community and the devs use the engine as their hobby as much as anyone, but that doesn't diminish any of what I just said. I use some other bits and pieces of software (completely unrelated to Doom) where the same basic conditions apply but the development, release cycle and approachability of the devs are nothing like they are with GZDoom (they're not bad, just nowhere near as good as with GZDoom). So, thanks again. :)
jonnyawsom3
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by jonnyawsom3 »

Graf Zahl wrote:The skill menu will fall back to the generic style if there's too many elements to fit on the screen. This will always check for the original font size on a 320x200 screen. AFAIK the change triggers with the 9th skill for regular Doom assets.
i don't suppose there would be a way to override this?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

If there is no space, there is no space. What do you expect? If the content does not fit the presentation needs to change so that it does fit.
jonnyawsom3

Post by jonnyawsom3 »

Graf Zahl wrote:If there is no space, there is no space. What do you expect? If the content does not fit the presentation needs to change so that it does fit.
in the last version the skill menu fit perfectly fine, and since i'm using russian overkill again, (which has 8 skill levels) there even appears to be room for a total of 9 but you said that's when the fallback should kick in.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The fallback kicks in if the total height of the menu without scaling exceeds 200 pixels. It cannot be done differently because this check needs to be resolution independent.
jonnyawsom3

Post by jonnyawsom3 »

okay then, i guess i'll just edit out one of the options
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

I've dealt with this on other mods like my personalized WADSmoosh setup and Zagemod's class select by providing a custom MENUDEF for those specific menus that pushes everything further up the screen.
jonnyawsom3

Post by jonnyawsom3 »

ah, good idea
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

Nice, a new version :) And on version 4.2.0

Not surprised with that first reply, lol
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Some first trend from the survey about operating system use. Linux and Mac haven't picked up yet because the downloads are either fresh or not present yet.
For Windows it looks like this:

~78% use Windows 10 64 bit
~16% use Windows 7 or 8 64 bit
-4.5% use the 32 bit build on a 64 bit system (why, oh why does this number not decrease...? :?)
1.75% use a real 32 bit OS.

The GZDoom 3.5 survey around the same time had ~3.5% users on a true 32 bit system, this has decreased by half!
It takes no rocket science to see that it won't take too long anymore to discontinue 32 bit support - it hasn't full feature parity anyway anymore (no Vulkan, no JIT) and it seriously blocks a feature that has been requested by some users: 64 bit integer support in the VM. While theoretically this could be done in 32 bit, it'd require a lot more work there than for 64 bit - so much more in fact that it's out of the question to implement it in a 32 bit compatible way -, so whenever this feature comes, 32 bit will be history - with the current numbers I'd say the right time will be after Christmas when a large number of older systems gets retired again.

Other numbers are less interesting, the only other important number is that the percentage of non-Vulkan compatible systems is roughly 18%, 1/10th of which only are incompatible due to old drivers. Like 32 bit above, this is half of what it was in the 3.5 survey after a comparable number of reports. This, of course, is nowhere near being discontinued, but seeing that at least AMD has been reported to begin winding down OpenGL support in their drivers it is only a matter of time until OpenGL has to be dropped. But this will most likely be decided by external factors than shrinking user base. Right now I'd give it 4 years, maybe, until OpenGL becomes a liability.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

fix a couple issues with sigil.wad:
e5m2: floating skulls disappear on lower skill levels
e5m4: the platform with the baron of hell that led to the invulnerability secret had a missing texture
I just thought I'd mention that a v1.2 of SIGIL.wad is definitely in the works, and so it might be a good idea to roll back these changes when that version lands.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Why? The current version still exists, even if an update is available. We also didn't revert the fix for one glitch in a BTSX 1 map that got fixed in the final release. The new maps will have different checksums so the fixes won't apply ti them.
chippo

Post by chippo »

The survey says that the data will be sent once per system. However, the program asks each user to send the survey data - and on my system, each user (I later heard) had blindly just clicked 'Yes' without reading anything.

An easy way to fix this would be for gzdoom to run setuid root, but I would prefer that it didn't. Maybe we have few enough unixy users of gzdoom, that we can just ignore the few multiple-responses that occur.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

That is because the setting gets stored in the config file which is user specific. The multiple responses can be filtered out easily when analyzing the data because they only differ by date, as long as you aren't on a dynamic IP system and send them in different sessions. Overall the noise they add is not really relevant - the vast majority of users only use one user account.
Deybar_TECH
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Deybar_TECH »

:o :shock: :!:
Ooh! I can not believe it! I think that finally there is already the (A_SoundPitch)
that is so much but so much need.
This new version of GZDoom is the best ever. :D

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”