Sprites 'glow' intense RGB colours with Dynamic Lighting

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
AschTheConjurer
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Sprites 'glow' intense RGB colours with Dynamic Lighting

Post by AschTheConjurer »

I've had this recurring problem with sprites, in multiple versions of GZDOOM when Dynamic Lighting is enabled.
This happens across a few different versions, across any number of mods/maps (though I don't know every single one off the top of my head), and it happened both on my old PC that had no GPU (using an Intel HD4600 integrated chip) and on my new-ish PC (which has a very old nVidia GeForce 210 GPU on the latest drivers, I'm looking to upgrade soon for obvious reasons).

I actually forgot about this problem for a very long time because I usually play DOOM engine games without Dynamic Lighting for performance reasons, but switching it back on for Ashes: 2063's underground areas has reminded me that this has been a thing for at least the last 5-odd years of my using GZDOOM.

Example of the RGB 'Glowing' Sprites compared to how they look normally:
[imgur]https://imgur.com/a/oFJxPVZ[/imgur]

The colours the sprites 'glow' is different depending on - from what I can tell - what kind of transparent texture I'm looking through.
In situations outside of the images above, I can mostly replicate the issue in the same mod (Ashes: 2063) in a number of locations:
- In the same map, looking through a window paints sprites dark blue
- In an earlier map, standing in a bathtub and looking through a translucent shower curtain-type texture turns sprites bright yellow

As I said though, this occurs in many mods and on many maps, and the only thing I can see in common is that it has to do with seeing sprites through translucent/transparent textures, especially when standing on the (line? sector? i'm not actually sure of the right nomenclature) of the transparent texture itself (as I have done with the sunlight coming through the ceiling in the Images linked above, turning sprites bright red).

OTHER STUFF THAT MIGHT BE USEFUL:
+ I can confirm that these sprite issues do not happen if Dynamic Lighting is disabled
+ Images taken playing ASHES: 2063 in GZDOOM 4.1.3
+ Using OpenGL renderer
+ Lighting is set to not affect sprites or particles in display options
+ Forcing Tranparency settings to "Vanilla" does not help
+ I can upload a [user].ini file that has a readout of all my GZD settings if that would help anyone figure out what's going on
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Sprites 'glow' intense RGB colours with Dynamic Lighting

Post by Graf Zahl »

Do you have Bloom enabled?
AschTheConjurer

Graf Zahl wrote:Do you have Bloom enabled?
I double checked and no, bloom is disabled, as are all other postprocessing options in the same menu.
I pretty ritualistically go into the options in any new game (and GZDoom 4+ when I got it) and disable pretty much all settings related to Posts, motion blur, etc.
AschTheConjurer

@Grahf Zahl

I've been playing through Ashes a bit more. I've added more pictures to the imgur album, because the bug has been very weird to replicate.
The last couple of screenshots are taken while standing in the same spot, but simply turning in place makes the bug occur and go away.

https://imgur.com/a/oFJxPVZ

Return to “Technical Issues”