NAKU-NARU - バンザイ! (V1.3 OUT NOW!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Do you Prefer The Type 99 Nambu or the Type 89 Howa?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:04 pm

Type 89
52%
Type 99
48%

Total votes: 21

Mechazaurus

Re: NAKU-NARU - バンザイ! (V1.1 OUT NOW!)

Post by Mechazaurus »

I would love to see the Type 89 as this mod, while excellent, needs a few more weapons. Maybe shift things around a bit so the Type 89 is the equivalent of the Super Shotgun whereas the Type 99 LMG is moved up to the Plasma Gun equivalent? Also, I would like the Type 99 Rifle to be more easy to get as it's probably my favorite. Possible suggestion is Rifle Grenades?
Thorogrimm
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Thorogrimm »

Hands down, this is one of the tightest mods I've tried as of late; I love how each of the weapons feel punchy and useful, and the sprite-work is amazing! All of the guns handle really well with reload times being as swift as possible. I also love the overall aesthetic, bringing a Japanese flavour to the Doom pallete. I'll definitely have to give this mod a spin on some map packs!

My only suggestion currently, is to make the secret sound cue less in-your-face and brief. Some might not mind the sound, but personally I think it'd sound better with just the drums at the end: "dun-dun-dun!" As opposed to "YOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
Now, I know you've included a patch for the previous versions sounds, but it's just something to consider for later versions. :)

Once again; TIGHT MOD! ^^

Edit: Not sure if it's intended, but the stab attack on the rifle seems to be missing a bayonette.
Last edited by Thorogrimm on Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elCreyo
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/Windows 10

Post by elCreyo »

I'm having a lot of fun with this mod. Love those old japanese weapons. I have a question though. Is it possible for you to make zoom (while using arisaka) cancelable with a reload?
CanisLaticanis
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by CanisLaticanis »

Generally enjoying this mod - simple yet extremely neat. I do have a few issues:
  • The shotgun and Arasaka both eject casings at the start of their reload when empty; they should have an empty chamber in that case.
  • The Minebea PM-9 should not have to have the bolt cycled when reloading with a partial magazine, though I find this far less annoying than the 'casing from an empty chamber' situation. Same goes for the LMG.
  • The screen shake from firing actually makes me feel a little ill at times, could definitely use an option to tone it down/remove it. The shotgun is by far the worst offender here, it makes the screen go all over the damn place.
  • The 'secret found' sound is WAY too loud/obnoxious!
  • When emptying the LMG's magazine, the firing sound just... stops. Not even like when just tap-firing it, at which point it sorta echos, it just stops dead. It also lacks a dryfire click.
Things I'd like to see:
  • Something to go in the SSG's slot - doesn't even have to be an SSG equivalent.
  • An option to disable push from firing weapons, please? Or if nothing else remove it from the pistol, that has way too much push for something that's not really that powerful.
  • Some way of 'bracing' the LMG to make it spray/recoil less? Particularly when firing in short bursts.
  • Maaaaybe the ability to duel-wield the PM-9?
elCreyo
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/Windows 10

Post by elCreyo »

CanisLaticanis wrote:Things I'd like to see:
  • Something to go in the SSG's slot - doesn't even have to be an SSG equivalent.
I belive Nambu Type 99 replaces SSG.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Not bad at all. I liked it! The weapon animations look great. They're very smooth and fast. The sound effects are not grating. The only thing I don't like is the font used for the HUD. It's really hard to read. I also noticed a bug in this mod. When you run out of ammo for the Uzi and the LMG, you can keep reloading, even when you don't have any bullets. I don't know if it is the same with any other gun, but for sure, the Uzi and LMG has that issue.

Other than that, I say keep up the great work. I can't wait to see what else you have in store for this mod.
Joblez_I

Post by Joblez_I »

lizardcommando wrote:Not bad at all. I liked it! The weapon animations look great. They're very smooth and fast. The sound effects are not grating. The only thing I don't like is the font used for the HUD. It's really hard to read. I also noticed a bug in this mod. When you run out of ammo for the Uzi and the LMG, you can keep reloading, even when you don't have any bullets. I don't know if it is the same with any other gun, but for sure, the Uzi and LMG has that issue.

Other than that, I say keep up the great work. I can't wait to see what else you have in store for this mod.
decided since i've gotten that complaint about the font a few times, v1.2 has been given a new font to make reading easier.
Mechazaurus

Post by Mechazaurus »

When will 1.2 be released, may I ask?
CanisLaticanis
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by CanisLaticanis »

Well I sure as hell didn't see this coming.

Congrats on winning a Golden Cacodemon!
Joblez_I

Post by Joblez_I »

CanisLaticanis wrote:Well I sure as hell didn't see this coming.

Congrats on winning a Golden Cacodemon!
y'know, i didn't think in a million years that a mod i made would get a cacoaward, let alone my first one. this was really cool, i appreciate everyone who played it and enjoyed it! i've been working on other things recently, so naku-naru has been on the backburner, but since it's been brought to the spotlight again i might come back to finish v1.2. it's been mostly finished for about a month, i just have to remove some placeholder material, fix a few bugs, and finish a few new sprites. again, thanks everyone!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Eyup. Feels really nice to see that you got yourself a shiny cacoward! I totally understand your satisfaction. Congratulations, and keep it up!
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Joblez_I wrote:y'know, i didn't think in a million years that a mod i made would get a cacoaward, let alone my first one
Heheh, you're welcome. It took some effort but I did make some very convincing arguments for it to get in.
r&r

Post by r&r »

Anyone knows any good maps that match the theme for this weapon set?
and those screen shots what maps where those?
Joblez_I

Post by Joblez_I »

r&r wrote:Anyone knows any good maps that match the theme for this weapon set?
the map in the screenshots is a test map i made just for screenshots. it doesn't have a finishing point and was made using shadow warrior textures.
Alptraum

Post by Alptraum »

r&r wrote:Anyone knows any good maps that match the theme for this weapon set?
Japanese Community Project, Kuchitsu...

Return to “Gameplay Mods”